Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #39,019 of 48,562
Just remember that you'll be amplifying any noise in the signal as well. I used to run my mixamp into my headphone amp with the line out but got tired of the hum/hiss and noise that was always present.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #39,021 of 48,562
Apparently Plantronics has announced a wireless gaming headset with built-in Dolby Atmos for Headphones. I definitely want to give these a try, but I'm skeptical. Plus I think they're kinda ugly.

rig-800lx.png
http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/rig-800lx

Still, the design shows some promise that I don't normally feel with headsets. Suspension headband design, deep (looking) pads, lightweight (assuming) plastic design, 24 hour battery... But when all is said and done, what matters most is the sound. I've owned Plantronics gear in the past and it was adequate. Hopefully they can do better than that this time around.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #39,024 of 48,562
The gaming industry revolves around extreme design. Chairs? Racing bucket seats. Mice? Sharp pocket knives. Keyboards? Spaceship command centers. Heck, even the "gaming foods" are extreme. This Plantronics looks to be no exception.

I want a gaming company to show us class and thoughtful design in their entire gaming line. Sennheiser seems closest with their GSX 1000 and PC37X.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #39,025 of 48,562
Any suggestions for something comfortable for a person with a big head?

Requirements:
- $100-$400
- Gaming, but I'm not competitive
- Immersion/Surround sound
- Only used on PC
- I'm okay with having to use an amp, but not an expensive amp

The ones below are too tight on my head:
- Sennheiser game one
- Logitech g933

Receiving tomorrow:
- Sennheiser 598

Possible suggestions, anything else?
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250
- AKG K702
- ATH-AD900x

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #39,026 of 48,562
The gaming industry revolves around extreme design. Chairs? Racing bucket seats. Mice? Sharp pocket knives. Keyboards? Spaceship command centers. Heck, even the "gaming foods" are extreme. This Plantronics looks to be no exception.

I want a gaming company to show us class and thoughtful design in their entire gaming line. Sennheiser seems closest with their GSX 1000 and PC37X.
Audio Technica has a few elegant headsets as well.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #39,027 of 48,562
Any suggestions for something comfortable for a person with a big head?

Requirements:
- $100-$400
- Gaming, but I'm not competitive
- Immersion/Surround sound
- Only used on PC
- I'm okay with having to use an amp, but not an expensive amp

The ones below are too tight on my head:
- Sennheiser game one
- Logitech g933

Receiving tomorrow:
- Sennheiser 598

Possible suggestions, anything else?
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250
- AKG K702
- ATH-AD900x

I would personally look for something that has some low end presence, as I think this makes it more immersive. The AKG 702 and ATH-AD900x are both great with soundstage, but for me, left me wanting in the bass department. The DT990 are very immersive, and if only used for gaming the sharp highs aren't as much of a problem. I love them for gaming, hate them for most music. The DT990 would require an amp, and something like the Schiit Magni 2 should be plenty. You would only need the Uber version if you planned on using it as a pre-amp for powered speakers.

I actually really like my Fostex TH-X00 Ebony for gaming (Massdrop has the TH-X00 Mahogany dropping right now for $399). Tons of controlled bass, an average soundstage (which for me is worth the trade off for how immersive they are), and the highs are really good. They are also really great for music. Only downside is the cable isn't removable and is thick. I modded TH-X00 to 2.5mm cable adaptors, which required modding the cups and a few other things. No big deal, but many would freak out doing this to a $500 headphone, lol.

The Monoprice M1060 is another option at $300, it is a 110mm planar driver with great bass and mids. I modded mine with Audeze Vegan pads (which have vanished from the world). I didn't listen much to them stock, but they are really great how I have them setup for gaming.

These are a few options, there are plenty more. Competitive gaming I would want less bass, to sound whore as much as possible. If I am just playing to enjoy myself, I always reach for a bass heavy can to really feel the explosions.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #39,028 of 48,562
Good point. Ill have to see how it goes until I can get a new mixamp. Thanks!
Just keep the mixamp volume around 3/4 and adjust the rest via amp. You shouldn't have much clipping/ distortion. If you still do, lower the mixamp not amp volume

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #39,029 of 48,562
Guys, what do you recommend around 40-50€? I was looking at the Superlux HMC681 (40€) or the HD668B (30€). Are they any good for gaming, music, movies, etc? Is there anything better around this price point?

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #39,030 of 48,562
Hell of a long thread!

I have a Reasliser on order to use for movies and gaming.
I will need to use closed headphones to keep the sound from leaking too much.
They don't need to be super-isolating with no sound leaking at all but they can't be as loud for my environment as open headphones as well.
For that matter any closed headphones will do.
I am considering a top pair of closed cans as I want to use them for music as well.

But most important is a big soundsatge/positioning of course as surround sound through the Reasliser will be the main use for these phones.
So what would be the best closed phones for surround with good positioning?
Some phones I have or am considering are: Sony MDR-Z1R, Denon AH-D7200, Fostex TH-900, Pioneer SE-Monitor5 and ZMF Eikon.
Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back