Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #39,031 of 48,562
Hell of a long thread!

I have a Reasliser on order to use for movies and gaming.
I will need to use closed headphones to keep the sound from leaking too much.
They don't need to be super-isolating with no sound leaking at all but they can't be as loud for my environment as open headphones as well.
For that matter any closed headphones will do.
I am considering a top pair of closed cans as I want to use them for music as well.

But most important is a big soundsatge/positioning of course as surround sound through the Reasliser will be the main use for these phones.
So what would be the best closed phones for surround with good positioning?
Some phones I have or am considering are: Sony MDR-Z1R, Denon AH-D7200, Fostex TH-900, Pioneer SE-Monitor5 and ZMF Eikon.
Any advice?

Well a few of the headphones you have listed aren't closed. The Denon, Fostex, and ZMF are all semi-closed, and they will leak sound. I have the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and they leak sound pretty bad IMO. This headphone is VERY similar to the Denon and Fostex, as they are all essentially cousins of each other with very similar designs.

If I was looking for a closed headphone right now, I would buy the Mr. Speakers Aeon ($799). They have a lot of the tech that is in the Ether C and Ether C Flow, and cost WAY less. Currently the Aeon is on the Wall of Fame at Innerfidelity, knocking the Ethers off the wall of fame. It would require an amp to get the most out of them, which the Realizer should provide with it's internal, powerful amp. Another I would look at is the Audeze LCD-XC ($1799). I have not heard either of the two, but these are probably the best, actual closed, headphones on the market. There is also the Beyerdynamic DT1770 ($599), but I don't think these will compete with the Aeon for $200 more.

On a side note, While I use open or semi-open headphones, I think soundstage size is dramatically over stated here at Head-Fi. There are a few designs which truly sound huge, like the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Hifiman HE-1000, etc. My Hifiman HE-X have a huge soundstage compared to most designs I have heard. For gaming and movies though, the differences to me are subtle at best. I don't feel like I am missing all that much if I use my Fostex or Monoprice M1060s instead. There is a difference, but very few games IMO take advantage with their sound design, and virtual surround does a good job of simulating a large soundstage. Also realize that the A16 you are getting should be able to make a closed headphone sound more open. I personally would grab the Aeon, save yourself a grand, and enjoy a very well made headphone.

I wish you the best of luck, as closed back headphones just aren't as common as open or semi-open. There are literally a handful of TOTL headphones that are closed. Most reviews talk about sound leakage, so you can get an idea of how bad each headphone is. IMO most semi-open designs leak almost as bad as a fully open design.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #39,032 of 48,562
Well a few of the headphones you have listed aren't closed. The Denon, Fostex, and ZMF are all semi-closed, and they will leak sound. I have the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and they leak sound pretty bad IMO. This headphone is VERY similar to the Denon and Fostex, as they are all essentially cousins of each other with very similar designs.

If I was looking for a closed headphone right now, I would buy the Mr. Speakers Aeon ($799). They have a lot of the tech that is in the Ether C and Ether C Flow, and cost WAY less. Currently the Aeon is on the Wall of Fame at Innerfidelity, knocking the Ethers off the wall of fame. It would require an amp to get the most out of them, which the Realizer should provide with it's internal, powerful amp. Another I would look at is the Audeze LCD-XC ($1799). I have not heard either of the two, but these are probably the best, actual closed, headphones on the market. There is also the Beyerdynamic DT1770 ($599), but I don't think these will compete with the Aeon for $200 more.

On a side note, While I use open or semi-open headphones, I think soundstage size is dramatically over stated here at Head-Fi. There are a few designs which truly sound huge, like the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Hifiman HE-1000, etc. My Hifiman HE-X have a huge soundstage compared to most designs I have heard. For gaming and movies though, the differences to me are subtle at best. I don't feel like I am missing all that much if I use my Fostex or Monoprice M1060s instead. There is a difference, but very few games IMO take advantage with their sound design, and virtual surround does a good job of simulating a large soundstage. Also realize that the A16 you are getting should be able to make a closed headphone sound more open. I personally would grab the Aeon, save yourself a grand, and enjoy a very well made headphone.

I wish you the best of luck, as closed back headphones just aren't as common as open or semi-open. There are literally a handful of TOTL headphones that are closed. Most reviews talk about sound leakage, so you can get an idea of how bad each headphone is. IMO most semi-open designs leak almost as bad as a fully open design.

Thanks for your reply mbyrnes.

I do wonder, is semi-closed actually a design choice? I always considered them to be closed phones with less isolation.
But something like a Fostex or Denon is actually isolating enough for me.

The Realiser's amp is actually powerful? Wasn't sure about that so I had been thinking of routing it's output to one of my headphone amps but that probably won't be necessary then.

I was also under the impression that the device that creates the surround sound would be largely responsible for the soundstage and the phones would matter less. Yet Smyth recommends the HD800 or a Stax for their spatial sound but comfort as well. I hope I get mine soon so I can experiment, has been over a year since I ordered now.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #39,033 of 48,562
Thanks for your reply mbyrnes.

I do wonder, is semi-closed actually a design choice? I always considered them to be closed phones with less isolation.
But something like a Fostex or Denon is actually isolating enough for me.

The Realiser's amp is actually powerful? Wasn't sure about that so I had been thinking of routing it's output to one of my headphone amps but that probably won't be necessary then.

I was also under the impression that the device that creates the surround sound would be largely responsible for the soundstage and the phones would matter less. Yet Smyth recommends the HD800 or a Stax for their spatial sound but comfort as well. I hope I get mine soon so I can experiment, has been over a year since I ordered now.

I think semi closed/open is a similar choice to sealed or ported in the speaker world. Each design (open, semi, closed) all have trade offs. Open makes it difficult to get good bass output, closed easy, and semi somewhere in-between. The Fostex I have remind me of a ported design, where you essentially get port noise (leakage). Obviously they have great bass, so I like the design choice. Semi open usually has a smaller sound field, better bass, and mids can vary, but they're usually good.

The Realizer outputs over a Watt into a few of the lower impedances. If you have nicer amps, by all means use them. I would try it both ways (internal and external), and see if it makes a difference.

I think they chose the HD800 because it does have a huge sound stage, is very popular in the $1K range. Kind of similar to the HD650, where most people have heard it if auditioning Headphones in that price range. I don't think it will matter, as most good headphones should sound awesome. Hopefully they start shipping them soon so you can report back!

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #39,034 of 48,562
Hell of a long thread!

I have a Reasliser on order to use for movies and gaming.
I will need to use closed headphones to keep the sound from leaking too much.
They don't need to be super-isolating with no sound leaking at all but they can't be as loud for my environment as open headphones as well.
For that matter any closed headphones will do.
I am considering a top pair of closed cans as I want to use them for music as well.

But most important is a big soundsatge/positioning of course as surround sound through the Reasliser will be the main use for these phones.
So what would be the best closed phones for surround with good positioning?
Some phones I have or am considering are: Sony MDR-Z1R, Denon AH-D7200, Fostex TH-900, Pioneer SE-Monitor5 and ZMF Eikon.
Any advice?

Consider the Aeon or Ether C Flow. I have the latter and it is mind meltingly good. I've read that the Aeon is a little less neutral and potentially more fun, but the Ether has a much larger soundstage and increased resolution.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #39,035 of 48,562
I think semi closed/open is a similar choice to sealed or ported in the speaker world. Each design (open, semi, closed) all have trade offs. Open makes it difficult to get good bass output, closed easy, and semi somewhere in-between. The Fostex I have remind me of a ported design, where you essentially get port noise (leakage). Obviously they have great bass, so I like the design choice. Semi open usually has a smaller sound field, better bass, and mids can vary, but they're usually good.

The Realizer outputs over a Watt into a few of the lower impedances. If you have nicer amps, by all means use them. I would try it both ways (internal and external), and see if it makes a difference.

I think they chose the HD800 because it does have a huge sound stage, is very popular in the $1K range. Kind of similar to the HD650, where most people have heard it if auditioning Headphones in that price range. I don't think it will matter, as most good headphones should sound awesome. Hopefully they start shipping them soon so you can report back!

Thanks. Yep, hopefully they ship soon, I ordered about a year ago.
I just traded my Z1R for a HD800S so that should be a good pairing.
And I also have a few other nice headphones to try, the LA-900 is no slouch when it comes to soundstage either and the bass goes really deep which might be just as important.
Thinking about the ZMF Eikon and Atticus as well.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #39,036 of 48,562
Will the Massdrop H4XX spark the interest of this MLE guy? It'll be 169 Dollars too.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #39,039 of 48,562
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I have tried to follow the topic from the beginning, currently and for the comments followed in the subject, I have bought xonar stx and beyer 990 pro.
The truth is I would like to ask for your help for the theme of the configuration for games and music.
I have disabled the audio driver of the board, and I have installed the Uni xonar driver.
The main games I use are Bf1, Bf4, CS: GO and one another shooter although lately paladins but only very occasionally.

In electronic music and some rock the majority in format Flac or Mp3 320 kps.

Another thing I would like some other option than the zalman mc1, since I incredibly feature the cable of my AD 700x, a little more and breaks it, I do not want to get modmic since the price discourages me.

regards

PS: sorry for my English

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #39,040 of 48,562
Will the Massdrop H4XX spark the interest of this MLE guy? It'll be 169 Dollars too.

Old headphone reviewer comes back from retirement for one last job...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #39,041 of 48,562
I wonder if any of the old guard is in on the 4XX drop. I'm out, I just don't have a need for another Headphone. I have too many already, lol.

I don't know if Massdrop fixed their 4XX webpage, because it literally had nothing on the Planar drivers at all. Just says Planar drivers, no specs, size, etc. No reviews of them yet that I know of. That definitely would give me reason to pause, as that is weird, even for Massdrop. Hopefully they update their description.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #39,042 of 48,562
Apparently, HiFiman doesn't want Massdrop to reveal the specific drivers used, because they don't want retailers complaining. That's what they are saying anyway.

I have a 400i so I don't think I will be getting in on this. Tyll seems to think it looks like the 400i, others think it looks like 400s. If it's a 400i or close to it, at that price that's a really good deal. I have the 400i and used them for a while for gaming and they were really, really good. My favorite cans until I got the HE-560.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #39,043 of 48,562
Apparently, HiFiman doesn't want Massdrop to reveal the specific drivers used, because they don't want retailers complaining. That's what they are saying anyway.

I have a 400i so I don't think I will be getting in on this. Tyll seems to think it looks like the 400i, others think it looks like 400s. If it's a 400i or close to it, at that price that's a really good deal. I have the 400i and used them for a while for gaming and they were really, really good. My favorite cans until I got the HE-560.

I have the Monoprice M1060s and love them. I did a pad swap to Vegan Audeze pads and paper towel mod, and they're really impressive for under $400 total. I just don't think the 4XX will compete with them, so they'll get little head time. Hopefully I can check a pair out soon at a meet. It's an insanely good price for a Planar, but I just don't need them. I currently use my HE-X V2, M1060, and TH-X00 Ebony exclusively, most of my headphones go unused. Don't see where these would fit in my collection, and probably never be used outside the first week or two. I hope they're really good though, everyone should own at least one Planar headphone.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #39,044 of 48,562
I wonder if any of the old guard is in on the 4XX drop. I'm out, I just don't have a need for another Headphone. I have too many already, lol.

I don't know if Massdrop fixed their 4XX webpage, because it literally had nothing on the Planar drivers at all. Just says Planar drivers, no specs, size, etc. No reviews of them yet that I know of. That definitely would give me reason to pause, as that is weird, even for Massdrop. Hopefully they update their description.

Probably not. My latest audio purchase turned out to be the beginning of another spending spree, not the end I hoped it would be. By the time I'm done pimping my portable setup out there won't be any HifiMans left to buy.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #39,045 of 48,562
Yeah collecting is addictive and that is the only reason I would consider buying these. Since I just put down money on a Realiser, and am about the plop down some moola on a used HD800s, AND am considering buying the Massdrop Chord Mojo.... I'm just going to have to pass. I have limits, you know? :head_bandage:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back