Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #38,101 of 48,562
The following is from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-edition-x-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones

Comparison of HEX vs HD800:

It was wholly entertaining to compare these two wonderful headphones. I can fault the HD800 on its cheap looking finish and ear bleeding peaky sound. For my tastes, I’ve found I need to use the Sonarworks plugin to enjoy the HD800’s, along with many other mods such as the Anaxilus mod, internal wiring upgrade and a Norne Audio Draug2 to clean up the sound and make this headphone absolutely spectacular. After all that, the HD800 costs more than a stock HifiMan Edition X. In comparison, the Edition X is very well tuned right out of the box. It’s not quite the same level the HD800 is with portraying a detailed image or wide soundstage. BUT, it’s very close.

I believe these two headphones both do so many things very well. I would leave it up to you to audition them and try for yourself. If you’re sensitive to treble peaks, the HD800 may need a bit of modding for you to “accept” it. The Edition X would be a great choice if you’re sensitive to sharp peaky treble since it’s quite pleasing to the ear and extremely musical. It doesn’t quite have the speed/decay of the HD800 but its close! The HD800 does some very key things better than the Edition X. I still find myself listening to the Edition X most of the time and letting my pair of HD800 collect dust. I wonder, why is this? Likely the reason is that I simply prefer the Edition X.

note: I am waiting for a Norne Audio Draug 2 cable to be made for my HD800's. I know this cable is quite amazing for the HD800. I've had one for a while to audition and I can't live without that cable and the HD800. In the meantime the HD800 collects more dust until then. :D

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #38,102 of 48,562
The following is from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-edition-x-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones

Comparison of HEX vs HD800:

It was wholly entertaining to compare these two wonderful headphones. I can fault the HD800 on its cheap looking finish and ear bleeding peaky sound. For my tastes, I’ve found I need to use the Sonarworks plugin to enjoy the HD800’s, along with many other mods such as the Anaxilus mod, internal wiring upgrade and a Norne Audio Draug2 to clean up the sound and make this headphone absolutely spectacular. After all that, the HD800 costs more than a stock HifiMan Edition X. In comparison, the Edition X is very well tuned right out of the box. It’s not quite the same level the HD800 is with portraying a detailed image or wide soundstage. BUT, it’s very close.

I believe these two headphones both do so many things very well. I would leave it up to you to audition them and try for yourself. If you’re sensitive to treble peaks, the HD800 may need a bit of modding for you to “accept” it. The Edition X would be a great choice if you’re sensitive to sharp peaky treble since it’s quite pleasing to the ear and extremely musical. It doesn’t quite have the speed/decay of the HD800 but its close! The HD800 does some very key things better than the Edition X. I still find myself listening to the Edition X most of the time and letting my pair of HD800 collect dust. I wonder, why is this? Likely the reason is that I simply prefer the Edition X.

note: I am waiting for a Norne Audio Draug 2 cable to be made for my HD800's. I know this cable is quite amazing for the HD800. I've had one for a while to audition and I can't live without that cable and the HD800. In the meantime the HD800 collects more dust until then. :D

I'm obviously biased as I just bought the HEX V2. I find his thoughts on the two, very similar to my impressions (I've never heard a heavily modded HD800). I wasn't even aware the HEX existed before listening to them Sunday at a meet. I was looking for an endgame Headphone, wanted really good bass (TH-X00 Ebony emphasizes how important good bass is), and just a huge soundstage, 3D like. Fell in love with them, and a used deal literally fell in my lap in the meet follow-up thread. Owned them less than 22 hours after first listening to them!

I will admit I'm not a fan of Sennheiser Sound. After listening to the HD600, HD650, HD6XX, HD800, with balanced cables out of very good gear, they did nothing for me. The HD800 was a good headphone, but everything I've ever read is true. Highs are too much, bright. The soundstage is awe inspiring, but the overall presentation is just not for me. I'm going to directly compare my HD6XX to the HEX today. I have a strong feeling the HD6XX will be the first headphone I sell.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #38,109 of 48,562
What are the correct in-game settings to use for virtual surround through my sbz?

I have windows set up for 5.1 and sbx studio on.

In some games, I get the about for 5.1, home theater, and headphones. What setting should I choose?
Some games also have an additional surround sound option - I supposed for in-game processing? What do I do here?

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #38,110 of 48,562
Yo Mad, looks like your all-time fav has an upgraded version on the way...

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/portableaudio/overear/ahd7200

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #38,111 of 48,562
  Yo Mad, looks like your all-time fav has an upgraded version on the way...

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/portableaudio/overear/ahd7200

Whoaaa....

eek.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #38,113 of 48,562
Wonder if it has ever been confirmed whether SBX Surround for Headphone is identical to THX Trusturio Pro in Titanium X-Fi Creative cards.
I could not find any direct comparisons on Youtube (THX vs SBX).
Right now I'm picking a card mainly for Headphone HRTF, to output digital signal to external DAC-amp and eventually to Headphone.

From tests on Youtube I figured I prefer both SBX and THX to CMSS-3D (the latter makes sound too bright and weakens bass).
Just can't choose between the two.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #38,114 of 48,562
  Wonder if it has ever been confirmed whether SBX Surround for Headphone is identical to THX Trusturio Pro in Titanium X-Fi Creative cards.
I could not find any direct comparisons on Youtube (THX vs SBX).
Right now I'm picking a card mainly for Headphone HRTF, to output digital signal to external DAC-amp and eventually to Headphone.

From tests on Youtube I figured I prefer both SBX and THX to CMSS-3D (the latter makes sound too bright and weakens bass).
Just can't choose between the two.

From using Razer Surround, Dolby headphone, SonicStudio and the Phoebus surround.. I do prefer SBX the most. That may change if I ever try the Realiser, though.

Also, I tend to like using stereo over any virtual surround. I find the same amount of positioning just about, just without the added reverb and such effects.
Anyone else? I constantly try to use and like surround, but always go back eventually. =\

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #38,115 of 48,562
Nice thing with the X7 is the ability to adjust almost everything. The % of surround sound, equalizer to boost or reduce levels if needed, profiles (movies, FPS, music, etc). I have the X7 feeding my Mimby with the surround sound applied, which feeds my MicroZOTL2 amp. Personally I think the included amp is pretty darn good, and I could easily live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back