Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #38,086 of 48,568
So where is the best place to research what price to sell used gear at? I hope something exist like that!

Search through the classifieds. You can also pull up closed ads and see what they sold for.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #38,088 of 48,568
A bit off topic but GAWD!

If only more game devs used 3D audio, the world would be a better place lol. Obviously this video is far from perfect but current technologies seem to be getting better and better to recording 3D audio.

I need to get me one of these mics for when I travel to places

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #38,089 of 48,568
The future!!!! Hopefully!
I'd be a scaredy man for sure, haha!
Really? Even if you don't have the HMD?
And good to know the G4ME ONE fits with the PS VR on your head... does the HD800 still fit along with the PSVR? I got to try the PS VR that one time, but I wasn't sure if the earpads and headband would fit around the PS VR's halo.

Yes, you can use 3D Audio without VR HMD. Not sure if the PC version allows this too, most likely it does.
Haven't tested the HD 800 but from the fit of the G4ME One I can surely conclude that it will not be a good idea to test the HD800 with it. The cups are simply too big and you don#t want to scratch them or put uneven pressure on the pads.

Looks like I gotta search for the best easy to drive gaming headphone. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #38,090 of 48,568
  A bit off topic but GAWD!

If only more game devs used 3D audio, the world would be a better place lol. Obviously this video is far from perfect but current technologies seem to be getting better and better to recording 3D audio.

I need to get me one of these mics for when I travel to places

Have a go at a few on this channel (ones marked 3d audio are binaural)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RacingLineAustralia/videos

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #38,091 of 48,568
Have a go at a few on this channel (ones marked 3d audio are binaural)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RacingLineAustralia/videos

I'm at work right now and youube is blocked lol. Will give them a try when I get home.

Those videos make you feel like you are there.

I looked up how much a 3DIIO mic cost and its around $400 to $500 with those fake ears lol but would be really worth it when recording stuff when I am out and about.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #38,092 of 48,568
  Did any of you play the For Honor beta? What were your thoughts? Seems like they're doing one last beta run to stress test the servers and will be open to everyone.

I played. Aside from terrible networking it was really fun. Netcode heavily favours high-ping players, people were dropping out of sessions every match but the gameplay itself is good.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #38,093 of 48,568
The K7XX is used with my PS4, which isn't my FPS system... I play FPS games on my PC with my a900x.  I'd love to replace them but they have to be closed back which means, from my research, I'm kind of limited in my "upgrades"... as I've said, I've toyed with the idea of just jumping straight to an Ether C or something but that seems crazy.

Do you think the 400i offers more "oomph" with the X7 than the K7XX?  I'm looking for a really nice, immersive sound when I'm playing my mostly single-player games (like FF15 or the upcoming Persona 5).  Soundstage and positioning is important, yes, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little of each if the overall quality is better (though, I'd preferably love to have all 3).

The he400i does have the most oomph out of my cans I'd say, and is easier to drive than the k712. I'd say the he400I has a more intimate soundstage by a good margin compared to the k712, but the he400i has great imaging. Currently, I used the k712 for horror games and competitive fps, he400i for everything else.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #38,094 of 48,568
The he400i does have the most oomph out of my cans I'd say, and is easier to drive than the k712. I'd say the he400I has a more intimate soundstage by a good margin compared to the k712, but the he400i has great imaging. Currently, I used the k712 for horror games and competitive fps, he400i for everything else.

This is really fascinating!  Thanks for your response... I don't tend to play tons of FPS on my console (those are reserved for my PC), other than my desire to have a go with Destiny.  So, while the soundstage is more closed in the 400i, you'd say it still has excellent imaging?  I'm really excited to have a little more body to things like Uncharted 4 (and lots of upcoming games because this year is awful).

My PC cans (a900x) are getting replaced with the MrSpeakers Aeons, once they come out.  I'm super excited to see how RE7, Titanfall 2, or Doom sound with them. :D

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #38,095 of 48,568
This is really fascinating!  Thanks for your response... I don't tend to play tons of FPS on my console (those are reserved for my PC), other than my desire to have a go with Destiny.  So, while the soundstage is more closed in the 400i, you'd say it still has excellent imaging?  I'm really excited to have a little more body to things like Uncharted 4 (and lots of upcoming games because this year is awful).

My PC cans (a900x) are getting replaced with the MrSpeakers Aeons, once they come out.  I'm super excited to see how RE7, Titanfall 2, or Doom sound with them. :D

I'm no expert, and to me I can't differ the imaging of the 712 vs 400i but I've read a few comparisons where people said the 400i has more accurate imaging than AKG. So, I'm sure the imaging will be as good if not better than the k7xx :)
Oh wow, hope to hear your impressions on those! I haven't taken the closed back plunge yet. Well, all my lower end HPs were but I mean no nice closed back plunge yet!

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #38,096 of 48,568
Oh wow, hope to hear your impressions on those! I haven't taken the closed back plunge yet. Well, all my lower end HPs were but I mean no nice closed back plunge yet!

I'm "forced" to use a closed back on my PC because the sounds from it bothered my wife.  I've been using an a900x for a long time and have been wanting to upgrade them for quite a while... I was planning on getting an Ether C someday but knew it would be a long time until that.  The Aeons fell right in a sweet spot for me, price-wise. :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #38,097 of 48,568
HEX are unreal for gaming! Just wow, and this is with the Mixamp since my X7 is down (new Sparkos SS3602 on the way!)

Just setup a ridiculous amount of optical cables, splitter, selector, so I can have everything go to the X7 or Mimby. That's my Blu-ray/SACD player, Xbox One (and cable box), and streaming system. Pretty cool I can listen to all of them now.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #38,099 of 48,568
I would think that HD800 with slightly more air and forward highs would be better for competition and the HD800s with its fuller sound better for an immersive experience. I love my AKG K701s for competitive shooters because the bass is so rolled off and they give a great sense of space. If I was ever to play a campaign mode in a game I would probably go for my HD650 or DT770pro.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #38,100 of 48,568
HD800 or HD800S for gaming? Mainly shooters

Can you listen to any of these before buying? You have a lot of options in that price range. I hated the HD800. It was just not a sound I really liked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back