Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #38,116 of 48,568
Help! I've dropped a lot of money trying to get custom headphones (ATH ad900x) to work with a mixamp pro (gen1). I have an Xbox elite controller that is fully up to date, and I've also updated the firmware on the mixamp pro as well.. I have the mixamp connected to Xbox via optical and USB. I have a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter plugged into the mixamp as I have a 3.5/3.5mm cable.

I've changed all audio settings on the Xbox accordingly (bitstream out and Dolby, I don't have a Kinect).. My headphones have a mod allowing detachable cable, but that isn't the issue. I cannot get the mic to work whatsoever :frowning2: I've tried a Y splitter (one labeled for headphone one for microphone) plugged into the mixamp, with the headphones into headphone port and my old turtle beaches into microphone port, which hang around my neck for the mic. I planned to use this setup until until my v-moda boompro mic came in. However, i cannot get the mic to work. I can't even plug only my turtle beaches directly into the mixamp and get chat that way either, not even using the ATH's.. so I'm assuming the boompro mic isn't gonna work either.. very frustrating! Am I missing something?

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #38,117 of 48,568
Help! I've dropped a lot of money trying to get custom headphones (ATH ad900x) to work with a mixamp pro (gen1). I have an Xbox elite controller that is fully up to date, and I've also updated the firmware on the mixamp pro as well.. I have the mixamp connected to Xbox via optical and USB. I have a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter plugged into the mixamp as I have a 3.5/3.5mm cable.

I've changed all audio settings on the Xbox accordingly (bitstream out and Dolby, I don't have a Kinect).. My headphones have a mod allowing detachable cable, but that isn't the issue. I cannot get the mic to work whatsoever
frown.gif
I've tried a Y splitter (one labeled for headphone one for microphone) plugged into the mixamp, with the headphones into headphone port and my old turtle beaches into microphone port, which hang around my neck for the mic. I planned to use this setup until until my v-moda boompro mic came in. However, i cannot get the mic to work. I can't even plug only my turtle beaches directly into the mixamp and get chat that way either, not even using the ATH's.. so I'm assuming the boompro mic isn't gonna work either.. very frustrating! Am I missing something?

Check the connection diagrams in the first post of the thread.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #38,119 of 48,568
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have it setup exactly as shown in the diagram

Can You post a photo of the headphones? Particularly the cable plugs and how You connect them to the Mixamp.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #38,120 of 48,568
Xbox Preview update adds Native Virtual Headphone surround

both PC and Xbox

also adds ATMOS for headphones

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #38,121 of 48,568
  Xbox Preview update adds Native Virtual Headphone surround

both PC and Xbox

also adds ATMOS for headphones

Soo, we can close this thread off now, can we?

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #38,122 of 48,568
Can You post a photo of the headphones? Particularly the cable plugs and how You connect them to the Mixamp.

Sure, please see below and hopefully it makes sense. I might have solved the problem as my both ends of my 3.5mm cable only have two rings. I just read elsewhere moments ago that the end that goes to controller must have three rings for mic. I found one I had, but that didn't work either. However the cable with 3 rings seems dagamged so I'm thinking just getting a new 2.5 to 3.5mm (with three rings) cable will solve my problem, unless something else in my setup is wrong? Appreciate your help.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #38,123 of 48,568
Sure, please see below and hopefully it makes sense. I might have solved the problem as my both ends of my 3.5mm cable only have two rings. I just read elsewhere moments ago that the end that goes to controller must have three rings for mic. I found one I had, but that didn't work either. However the cable with 3 rings seems dagamged so I'm thinking just getting a new 2.5 to 3.5mm (with three rings) cable will solve my problem, unless something else in my setup is wrong? Appreciate your help.

If the plug that goes into the controller only has two rings than that is precisely the source of the problem. Turtle beach sells such cables for 5$ IIRC so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #38,125 of 48,568
If the plug that goes into the controller only has two rings than that is precisely the source of the problem. Turtle beach sells such cables for 5$ IIRC so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for your quick help. I didn't see that noted in Mad Lust Envy's post, although it was incredibly helpful. I've ordered both the 2.5/3.5 (3-ring tssr) cable and 2.5/3.5mm adapter so hopefully one of these works :) I'll revert back regardless. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #38,126 of 48,568
Are there any alternatives to the Astro Mixamp? The must-have feature is the ability to balance between voice/general audio channels. Nothing available seems to have that, and I don't want to be stuck with my mixamp forever.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #38,129 of 48,568
A few questions. Is my fio e12 portable amp doing my music any justice when playing quality music from my LG G3 phone and using my 250 ohm dt880s and the creative aurvana live headphones, or should I look to get something better for an amp. I use the amp with my astro mix amp for gaming also and I feel like I'm not really getting the best sound from them. They sound good, but I want make sure I'm not listening to them with an insufficient amp.

Also I'm really starting to wonder if I really have a pair of 250 ohm dt880 as I have been told and read that you need a really good amp to make them sound good or loud, but I feel like my Astro MixAmp powers them just fine and they're very loud on my MixAmp without double amping. So I wonder if I was given a pair of 80 ohm or if i just dont ike the sound profile of these. Double amping the MixAmp and my fio e 12 oftentimes make the bass sound distorted. Someone in an earlier post had suggested I try adjusting the volumes on both amps to see if I could make it sound better but I can't seem to get the right volume loud enough to hear everything but not too loud that it distorts. Should mixamp be able to power these alone? Is there anyway to tell for sure what ohm I have without any facy euipment? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back