Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #38,146 of 48,583
Shoot already Evshrug!

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #38,148 of 48,583

I just found my birthday present from last year... I had forgotten that someone gave me these.  Well, at least my 2 year old daughter loves them!

On a more serious note, I got my 400i hooked up to my X7 last night and they sound superb.  My only gripe is that short cable... I had to order a longer one off ebay.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #38,149 of 48,583

I just found my birthday present from last year... I had forgotten that someone gave me these.  Well, at least my 2 year old daughter loves them!

On a more serious note, I got my 400i hooked up to my X7 last night and they sound superb.  My only gripe is that short cable... I had to order a longer one off ebay.

I'd wear those.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #38,150 of 48,583
I'd wear those.

Oh, trust me, I have.  I'm going to shock you when I say, they're not super good (but better than I was expecting)... but my daughter always wants to wear "daddy's headphones" and these have been a lifesaver.  My poor a900x has enough dents in its outer shell, don't want to add actual death to them, too... at least, not until my Aeons come. :wink:

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #38,151 of 48,583
  Oh, trust me, I have.  I'm going to shock you when I say, they're not super good (but better than I was expecting)... but my daughter always wants to wear "daddy's headphones" and these have been a lifesaver.  My poor a900x has enough dents in its outer shell, don't want to add actual death to them, too... at least, not until my Aeons come. :wink:

Now that You've mentioned it there are no audiophile headphones on the market specifically marketed towards children. Imagine if Grado made a pink "My First On-Ear" set with a matching My Little Pony hard case.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #38,152 of 48,583

Now that You've mentioned it there are no audiophile headphones on the market specifically marketed towards children. Imagine if Grado made a pink "My First On-Ear" set with a matching My Little Pony hard case.

They'd have top be built like tanks or be easily reparable (or cheap enough to be replaceable) because I'm sure children would just annihilate them... that being said, I'd probably get my girl a pair. Start her down the right path early.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #38,153 of 48,583
Back for another bit of guidance if possible.  Currently using some Plyr1's which have surprised me at how decent they are - especially when I only paid £44 here in the UK for a brand new set.

Thing is, I still like the clarity and overall sound of my Superlux HD681 Evo better, but the adaptor needed to use the VModa Boom Mic with them isn't an ideal solution.

I game purely on PS4 at the moment and really am looking for an Open Backed set of headphones that the VModa Mic will fit and which will offer a step up in sound from the Superlux.  I plan to add some form of DAC/Amp in the future also.

Any suggestions or will I have to sacrifice the VModa to get what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #38,154 of 48,583
  They'd have top be built like tanks or be easily reparable (or cheap enough to be replaceable) because I'm sure children would just annihilate them... that being said, I'd probably get my girl a pair. Start her down the right path early.

They could be built like Beyerdynamic headphones (all screws, no glue) and the replacement parts would be the actual source of the profit for the company. They could be paired up with a companion amp/dac called My First Audio Setup.

Back for another bit of guidance if possible.  Currently using some Plyr1's which have surprised me at how decent they are - especially when I only paid £44 here in the UK for a brand new set.

Thing is, I still like the clarity and overall sound of my Superlux HD681 Evo better, but the adaptor needed to use the VModa Boom Mic with them isn't an ideal solution.

I game purely on PS4 at the moment and really am looking for an Open Backed set of headphones that the VModa Mic will fit and which will offer a step up in sound from the Superlux.  I plan to add some form of DAC/Amp in the future also.

Any suggestions or will I have to sacrifice the VModa to get what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Try Fidelio X1/X2.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #38,155 of 48,583
Yo Mad, looks like your all-time fav has an upgraded version on the way...

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/portableaudio/overear/ahd7200

I question their validity, as I thought they stopped using Fostex drivers? If so, these won't be anything like the Fostex family Denons.

In any case, I still need to hear all the newer Fostex headphones that I missed since the TH900-600, to see if the Massdrop ones come closer to the D7000 sound for cheaper. The TH600 was a bit sterile, and the 900 is way too expensive and still made me miss the fun of the D7K.

I really would need to find some pads that work for the Fostex that isn't pleather/leather. Guess I can rip off the Audeze vegans from my HE400 and give it a go. Of course, thats assuming i ever get a chance to hear another Fostex. Headphones are so far away from a priority right now, and if I get anything it's gonna be wireless. But I would love some D7K sound again.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #38,157 of 48,583
  Thanks @Yethal - how would the Sennheiser Game One compare to the X2 - thinking maybe an all in one solution might be an option?

Dunno, haven't heard the X2. You asked for a BoomPro compatible open-back so I gave You one. As for the Game one, I do own the PC37X which is a Massdrop variant of a variant of the Game One (long story) and for its price (120$) it is an amazing headset. However the regular Game One sells for 200$ and that's a bit steep so my best advice would be to find the Game One for 120$ or less and if that's not doable then buy a regular open-back and pair it with the BoomPro.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #38,158 of 48,583
I question their validity, as I thought they stopped using Fostex drivers? If so, these won't be anything like the Fostex family Denons.

In any case, I still need to hear all the newer Fostex headphones that I missed since the TH900-600, to see if the Massdrop ones come closer to the D7000 sound for cheaper. The TH600 was a bit sterile, and the 900 is way too expensive and still made me miss the fun of the D7K.

I really would need to find some pads that work for the Fostex that isn't pleather/leather. Guess I can rip off the Audeze vegans from my HE400 and give it a go. Of course, thats assuming i ever get a chance to hear another Fostex. Headphones are so far away from a priority right now, and if I get anything it's gonna be wireless. But I would love some D7K sound again.

It's most likely Fostex again. Fostex is THE japanese OEM monster everyone should fear instead of Godzilla. I don't think they are for you. Your favorite D7000 successor would be a D7000 repackaged with non-leather pads and the same sound I guess, just cleaner with less peaks.

These here are noticably cleaner than the D7000 and don't have the TH-900 peaks either, don't have the boom, bleed or midbass pronunciatione of the TH-X00. They are more "reference" tuned (less recessed mids than the Fostex) and go down very low where they still pack a punch. 

That scene at the end/climax from The Accountant where it gets pretty loud for a short while really terrified me even though I knew what would happen. The rumble and kick down low is great. Can't say more, waiting for balanced cables and need to hear more. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #38,159 of 48,583

Dunno, haven't heard the X2. You asked for a BoomPro compatible open-back so I gave You one. As for the Game one, I do own the PC37X which is a Massdrop variant of a variant of the Game One (long story) and for its price (120$) it is an amazing headset. However the regular Game One sells for 200$ and that's a bit steep so my best advice would be to find the Game One for 120$ or less and if that's not doable then buy a regular open-back and pair it with the BoomPro.

Ok, thanks - yea appreciate the X2 was the suggestion to my first question then I went off in a different direction :p

Game One is about £50 cheaper here in the UK (about £150) - not seen it any cheaper - X2s pushing £200 or over. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #38,160 of 48,583
Nothing wrong with the Sennheisers. Great clarity, light weight and usefull all in one. Little in the way of any bass and the mic always sounded a bit muffled to me but some people say it sounds crisp and clear *shrug*

I find the X2s a lot more enjoyable to listen to, though I do find it a lot more uncomfortable for me personally.

Both great in different ways ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back