Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #37,561 of 48,578

​Hello everyone, new member here and for the most part new to hifi world.  I recently picked up a new Dragonfly Red as a portable DAC/Amp and I am looking for some headphone advice, this thread has been awesome in providing solid information for gaming purposes and I have narrowed my headphone purchase to a few different sets.  I was hoping to get some advice from individuals using the sets I am looking at, ideally who play some of the same types of games as I do.  Current usage is 70% gaming, 30% music from a variety of sources Apple Lossless, Spotify primarily.

Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990/ perhaps the T1 gen 1 (I think I have a decent price line on one)
Hifiman HE 400/HE560

While both the HE560/T1's are just in my price range I am not sure I would notice substantial differences in audio quality for the primary games I play and music I listen to.

Games Played Currently
Tom Clancy's The Division
Battlefield 4
Witcher 3
Civilization 6
Tyranny

Music (broad spectrum)
Rap/Hip Hop (J. Cole, Kanye West, K Flay)
Punk (NoFX, Rancid)
Indie/Pop (typically female vocalists like Lana Del Ray, Florence and the Machine, Fiona Apple)
60's, 70's, and 80's Classic Rock

I live in Edmonton, Alberta and I will be testing the Td's and HE560's with my MBP and the new Dragonfly Red tomorrow but I am wondering if I am missing any potential contenders?

Any assistance the community can provide would be awesome!!

Thank you,

Skully

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #37,562 of 48,578
Hey man fellow Canadian here. I just bought the AKG 712s last night after a boatload of research. My budget was significantly higher, but ended up deciding on these because the reviews on these for gaming and their comfort are excellent. I am even playing the same games as you, including Tyranny! The 712s can be gotten for a great 300CAD on amazon.com right now from some obscure UK seller. 

I would also consider the Hifiman 400i (which I am guessing is what you meant with 400?). They can be gotten for a fantastic 250$USD I think on Amazon.com, which is a steal for these. A bit less comfy maybe but clearly phenomenal headphones. Perhaps better for music than gaming.

Can't go wrong with either. I would not think the 560 are a worthy upgrade over the 400i, but if you have the money perhaps go for it. Not sure if difference would be very noticeable, maybe 10% better, not sure. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #37,564 of 48,578
Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the information, I wills see about auditioning the AKG-712 tomorrow as well, any other suggestions would be awesome. 

Thanks again,

Skully

If the k712 is a bit more than you can afford, you can always look for a used pair of the K7xx's here on the classifieds. They can be had for 150-185 dollars and are almost identical.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #37,565 of 48,578
The Fidelio x2s are a great option too (based on my research).
I'm after a headphone with a good fun/competitive ratio and so far these options look good: Fidelio X2 / DT990 / T90 / K712
dont think you can go wrong with these.
I'm new to this so do your research and share with us your findings
biggrin.gif

Best of luck.

srry for my english

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #37,566 of 48,578
I second the 400i recommendation. Those are my main gaming headphones currently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoochers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey man fellow Canadian here. I just bought the AKG 712s last night after a boatload of research. My budget was significantly higher, but ended up deciding on these because the reviews on these for gaming and their comfort are excellent. I am even playing the same games as you, including Tyranny! The 712s can be gotten for a great 300CAD on amazon.com right now from some obscure UK seller. 

I would also consider the Hifiman 400i (which I am guessing is what you meant with 400?). They can be gotten for a fantastic 250$USD I think on Amazon.com, which is a steal for these. A bit less comfy maybe but clearly phenomenal headphones. Perhaps better for music than gaming.

Can't go wrong with either. I would not think the 560 are a worthy upgrade over the 400i, but if you have the money perhaps go for it. Not sure if difference would be very noticeable, maybe 10% better, not sure. 

Let us know if you get those. I got a price alert for the 712's and it was because that UK seller is seriously undercutting everyone's price, but they are a new seller with 0 reviews and shipping was not until late January/early February! I'm skeptical but I hope it works out for you. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #37,567 of 48,578
So, I'm thinking about a DAC, and I've narrowed it down to the Modi Multibit, Bifrost Multibit, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil... Yes, I want a Schiit R2R DAC for gaming, but music on the side helps.

Games I currently play:
Final Fantasy XIV
Battlefield 1
Skyrim: Special Edition
Civilization VI

I'd say I want it mostly for gaming. Final Fantasy XIV, Skyrim: Special Edition, and Civilization VI are obviously where I want immersion, but Battlefield 1 is where I want that competitive edge. I'd prefer the competitive edge, even though I play more Final Fantasy XIV than Battlefield 1 at the moment. Music on the side helps too.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #37,571 of 48,578
  So, I'm thinking about a DAC, and I've narrowed it down to the Modi Multibit, Bifrost Multibit, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil... Yes, I want a Schiit R2R DAC for gaming, but music on the side helps.

Games I currently play:
Final Fantasy XIV
Battlefield 1
Skyrim: Special Edition
Civilization VI

I'd say I want it mostly for gaming. Final Fantasy XIV, Skyrim: Special Edition, and Civilization VI are obviously where I want immersion, but Battlefield 1 is where I want that competitive edge. I'd prefer the competitive edge, even though I play more Final Fantasy XIV than Battlefield 1 at the moment. Music on the side helps too.

A regular modi 2 should be fine tbh . Dacs have fast decreasing gains from there on.
What headphones do you have ? You might need an AMP too if you dont have one.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #37,573 of 48,578
Schiit isn't the only game in town, not even the only option for R2R DACs anymore, but I do like multibit DACs from experience. D/S DACs are good too though, like the Mojo I got about a week ago.

Nice thing about the Omni, you can use it by itself, or connect it to your Aune, or just use it for the processing and software while connecting the optical output to another DAC/Amp.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #37,574 of 48,578
  So for PC gaming, I am thinking about either getting a K7XX, AD900X, or a Fidelio X2. Do I need to get a sound card, DAC, and or AMP with any of those headphones? Primary use would be for gaming.

Assuming this is for FPS gaming on a Windows PC.
I would go for the ATH-AD900X and a Sound Blaster Z sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back