Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 17, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #37,546 of 48,583
Didn't realize the new PS4 and Xbox don't have optical ports. That's a bummer for most surround devices.

Every Xbox made has included an optical out, including the Xbox One S. Sony dropped the optical out on the slim, and it was a stupid move.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #37,547 of 48,583
That implies any headphones are good if I have enough vodka.
Most TVs have optical outs that can be used to pass the audio signal from the HDMI in port.

The huge problem is the majority of HDTVs cannot pass a 5.1 signal, only stereo. If the tuner in the TV is used, it can pass DD. I know my Panasonic plasma will not, and the LG in my bedroom cannot. May have to buy an AVR that can pull the audio from HDMI and send it out optical.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #37,549 of 48,583
The huge problem is the majority of HDTVs cannot pass a 5.1 signal, only stereo. If the tuner in the TV is used, it can pass DD. I know my Panasonic plasma will not, and the LG in my bedroom cannot. May have to buy an AVR that can pull the audio from HDMI and send it out optical.

I know for sure Bravias do. Instead of an AVR, a simple HDMI audio extractor will do.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #37,550 of 48,583
I know for sure Bravias do. Instead of an AVR, a simple HDMI audio extractor will do.

Didn't know they even existed!

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #37,551 of 48,583

Yeah, well it would have to be both an HDMI audio extractor and a Dolby Digital encoder. Unless the PS4 Slim could be set to output/bitstream Dolby through HDMI instead of taking advantage of the LPCM?

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #37,552 of 48,583
Yeah, well it would have to be both an HDMI audio extractor and a Dolby Digital encoder. Unless the PS4 Slim could be set to output/bitstream Dolby through HDMI instead of taking advantage of the LPCM?

Regular PS4 can be set to output Dolby Digital via HDMI so I guess the Slim can too. THat's the way I have my X7 hooked up. HDMI to Bravia TV, optical out from the TV to X7.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #37,553 of 48,583
I think my a900x is not long for this world... It's had a hard life. Any suggestions on a replacement/upgrade for $400 or less? It needs to be closed back, as it bothers my wife. I'm also currently running it through a Sound Blaster ZX.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #37,556 of 48,583
I think my a900x is not long for this world... It's had a hard life. Any suggestions on a replacement/upgrade for $400 or less? It needs to be closed back, as it bothers my wife. I'm also currently running it through a Sound Blaster ZX.

Check out the Beyerdynamic T70 headphones, there is some good prices for used ones on eBay.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #37,557 of 48,583
This video of what just happened to me sums of my feelings of this game. A huge time waster with no payoff.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2lXHcgh7A][/VIDEO]

90+ hours into the game, and 40 minutes into this basically 2 hour fight, THIS happens. Warped me away from the battle zone = 40 minutes gone. That was the cue for me to stop playing this game.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #37,558 of 48,583
This video of what just happened to me sums of my feelings of this game. A huge time waster with no payoff.

90+ hours into the game, and 40 minutes into this basically 2 hour fight, THIS happens. Warped me away from the battle zone = 40 minutes gone. That was the cue for me to stop playing this game.

I don't get it. Does that end the battle? I haven't started playing yet, but man, if I spend 90+ hours playing a game I tend to enjoy it.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #37,559 of 48,583
This battle is about 2 hours long give or take. No way around it, unless you are some super optimal god. The game warped me too far from the battle as if I ran away. It causes the fight to end, and you have to restart from the very beginning. So because the game glithced me away, I lost a huge chunk of time for nothing.

I enjoyed the good parts of the game. Unfortunately, the good parts to me, where over very quickly, and everything became fetch quest tedium from hour 1 to hour 90. I did it because I told myself I'd give the game a fair chance. And I certainly did. I'm missing just a few side dungeons (the last one took me many, many hours), when the others where like 40 minutes. This game doesn't respect your time, I assure you. Got to level 99 just off the endless number of fetch questing. I didn't grind ONE bit. Even with all this, I have a zillion hunts to go, and apparently the last long dungeon I did is nothing compared to the one I was going to tackle next. I'm FF-ed out.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #37,560 of 48,583
This battle is about 2 hours long give or take. No way around it, unless you are some super optimal god. The game warped me too far from the battle as if I ran away. It causes the fight to end, and you have to restart from the very beginning. So because the game glithced me away, I lost a huge chunk of time for nothing.

I enjoyed the good parts of the game. Unfortunately, the good parts to me, where over very quickly, and everything became fetch quest tedium from hour 1 to hour 90. I did it because I told myself I'd give the game a fair chance. And I certainly did. I'm missing just a few side dungeons (the last one took me many, many hours), when the others where like 40 minutes. This game doesn't respect your time, I assure you. Got to level 99 just off the endless number of fetch questing. I didn't grind ONE bit. Even with all this, I have a zillion hunts to go, and apparently the last long dungeon I did is nothing compared to the one I was going to tackle next. I'm FF-ed out.

Dang, that sucks. What ever happened to the FF of old where you couldn't run away from a boss fight. I'm still going to sit down and play this to see how I feel about it. I finished TLOU: Remastered a week or so ago. What an excellent story driven game that was. i was very impressed with the graphics, gameplay and story. Anybody tried the multiplayer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back