Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #37,531 of 48,583
The 62-Ohm AKG 712 are lower Ohm, but are more power hungry then 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Looks like the Onkyo TX-NR636 is a fairly new design.
How do the AKG K712 sound plugged into the Onkyo?

I don't know! Don't own them yet.. I'm not concerned about the power of the AVR, more concerned about the potentially high output impedance (greater than 10% the headphone impedance)

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #37,532 of 48,583
I don't know! Don't own them yet.. I'm not concerned about the power of the AVR, more concerned about the potentially high output impedance (greater than 10% the headphone impedance)

The 8 to 1 or 10 to 1 impedance issue is more like a good guide line, then a fixed rule.
I will plug my 40-Ohm headphones into an amplifier with a 10-Ohm output impedance (so 4 to 1) and they sound great.

Here is an open box Beyerdynamic T90 headphone for $250.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302145606176?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Really nice clarity

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #37,533 of 48,583
That Turtle Beach HD audio converter looks pretty swell. I have doubts on it passing 4k/60 and HDR. I guess that doesn't matter for the 1080p only consoles.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #37,536 of 48,583

It seems the ModMic 5.0 not only sounds better but was actually made more user-friendly than the previous iterations.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #37,537 of 48,583
HDMI to the TV - HDMI out of the TV for the audio to the converter?

Ah, ARC. I forget about that since I have never used it.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #37,538 of 48,583
Well PS4 Pro does fake 4k at 30fps..so maybe it can work?

Thats not how it works. It is still a 4k/60 signal being sent out. Whether its real or fake doesnt matter. It all is the same for whatever is receiving the signal.

And the Pro does do real 4k/60. Barely, but there are games that do it. Real 4k/30 as well, with games like Last of Us.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #37,539 of 48,583
I actually have an AVR that offers simulated surround sound. But I have been told that the AVR would not act as a good enough headphone amp through the headphone jack! 

HEADPHONE surround? Because I hadn't heard that Onkyo had a headphone DSP that will make headphones seem to create directional audio... usually they just combine L Front and L Rear simply into just a regular L channel, same for right, and crossfeed the center channel 50/50 between the headphone's L/R channels. It's possible the Onkyo has a proprietary Headphone DSP... please tell us with any headphones if it sounds good!

The 62-Ohm AKG 712 are lower Ohm, but are more power hungry then 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Looks like the Onkyo TX-NR636 is a fairly new design.
How do the AKG K712 sound plugged into the Onkyo?

Agreed with PurpleAngel, the final determining factor is how you feel it sounds after auditioning it.

Planar headphones are unique in that they don't change with output impedance, so that isn't a factor for the HE400i (or Oppo, Fostex, Audeze). The K7xx range of headphones happen to have a practically linear impedance curve, so actually output impedance has very little effect on them either.

What matters more is other factors about the headphone amp section of the Onkyo: total harmonic distortion, where the distortion happens, if it can supply plenty of current at a voltage appropriate for listening volume, if the Onkyo has an apparent sound signature of it's own... the short version, plug it in and test it out. Could be better than you think. A dedicated headphone amp might sound better, but you may feel like the Onkyo is good enough not to bother with trying to find another solution.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #37,540 of 48,583
HEADPHONE surround? Because I hadn't heard that Onkyo had a headphone DSP that will make headphones seem to create directional audio... usually they just combine L Front and L Rear simply into just a regular L channel, same for right, and crossfeed the center channel 50/50 between the headphone's L/R channels. It's possible the Onkyo has a proprietary Headphone DSP... please tell us with any headphones if it sounds good!
Agreed with PurpleAngel, the final determining factor is how you feel it sounds after auditioning it.

Planar headphones are unique in that they don't change with output impedance, so that isn't a factor for the HE400i (or Oppo, Fostex, Audeze). The K7xx range of headphones happen to have a practically linear impedance curve, so actually output impedance has very little effect on them either.

What matters more is other factors about the headphone amp section of the Onkyo: total harmonic distortion, where the distortion happens, if it can supply plenty of current at a voltage appropriate for listening volume, if the Onkyo has an apparent sound signature of it's own... the short version, plug it in and test it out. Could be better than you think. A dedicated headphone amp might sound better, but you may feel like the Onkyo is good enough not to bother with trying to find another solution.

hmm that is a good point. It is called "Theatre Dimensional", which makes virtual surround with "two speakers". I had assumed it would work with headphones, but perhaps that was a bad assumption.

I will audition them in the AVR and will report back. One issue is I am new to hi-fi and can't tell if it sounds good or not lol.

I just checked and was surprised to learn that the AKG 712s have a relatively flat impedance curve, that is re-assuring. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #37,541 of 48,583
Got any headphones at all right now?

You'll know if it sounds good, if:
You get goosebumps
Your spine tingles in a pleasant way
You might laugh out loud
You find yourself keeping time with the beat
You lose track of time trying out different tracks
You lose track of time just letting music play on shuffle
You can hear many instruments at the same time, no one instrument drowns out and hides others
You feel happy

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #37,544 of 48,583
Didn't realize the new PS4 and Xbox don't have optical ports. That's a bummer for most surround devices.

At least the Pro does and (I'm assuming) the Scorpio will, as well. But really, there should be a console friendly device with audio HDMI by now that won't cost $1000+. Seems like most surround sound companies are just concentrating on their own headsets rather than making a universal device.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #37,545 of 48,583
Got any headphones at all right now?

You'll know if it sounds good, if:
You get goosebumps
Your spine tingles in a pleasant way
You might laugh out loud
You find yourself keeping time with the beat
You lose track of time trying out different tracks
You lose track of time just letting music play on shuffle
You can hear many instruments at the same time, no one instrument drowns out and hides others
You feel happy

That implies any headphones are good if I have enough vodka.
Didn't realize the new PS4 and Xbox don't have optical ports. That's a bummer for most surround devices.

Most TVs have optical outs that can be used to pass the audio signal from the HDMI in port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back