Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #36,376 of 48,579
Ceci n'est pas une setup

:grinning:
My setup is tidy and clean now. Putting the tv on the wall freed up a lot of space from the desk.

I've moved the X7 between the right speaker and the monitor since the picture was taken byt that's pretty much what it looks like.

My monitor is mounted to a Monoprice swivel arm on the edge of my desk, so I can swing it back or to the side to get it out of the way. My desk feels huge when I clear off all the temporary stuff... And it just feels like a shame not to have something I'm into already ready to go!

I sold my X7, now I have no way to connect my headphones to my PS4, for those rare occasions I get to play.

What's the next-best solution? I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with the Sound Blaster E5.

Also, I still have that AKG Q701, if anyone has something that I can connect to my PS4.

I don't think I'll be pleased with the SQ if I go back to a Mixamp. At this point, I'm guessing that I'm better off going with a standard 2-channel dac until I have the funds to get a proper setup.

Thanks in advance!

I thought you bought an X7 back? I guess I mixed you up with Lenroot. Do you already have an E5? That's still a stereo solution for consoles, but at least that does give you a mic and (if you use both USB and optical) mixer controls.

I still think the used Turtle Beach DSS series is the best sounding low-cost DSP, technically lower background hiss than the Mixamp and Recon3D, with a better amp than those and better suited for double amping too. If you just want stereo, then almost any optical or USB DAC will do.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #36,377 of 48,579
My monitor is mounted to a Monoprice swivel arm on the edge of my desk, so I can swing it back or to the side to get it out of the way. My desk feels huge when I clear off all the temporary stuff... And it just feels like a shame not to have something I'm into already ready to go!
I thought you bought an X7 back? I guess I mixed you up with Lenroot. Do you already have an E5? That's still a stereo solution for consoles, but at least that does give you a mic and (if you use both USB and optical) mixer controls.

I still think the used Turtle Beach DSS series is the best sounding low-cost DSP, technically lower background hiss than the Mixamp and Recon3D, with a better amp than those and better suited for double amping too. If you just want stereo, then almost any optical or USB DAC will do.

I sold mine to @lenroot, lol.

For the PS4, should I go with a DSS1 or 2?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #36,378 of 48,579
Honestly, I had a DSS, liked it, I don't have it anymore (gift) but I'm fairly impressed with the DSS2 (that "not having 7.1 surround" is a bunch of hooey) and you can't really go wrong with either now that they cost about the same.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #36,381 of 48,579
You didn't like the G5?

I didn't like that it didn't have a battery, and sold it. In hindsight, I probably should have just gotten an E5 for the interim. I only used it with the Meze 99 Classics, which I found uncomfortable and didn't get a ton of time with, so I can't really assess how much I liked the G5'S sound.

I was cutting down my gear to save for a down payment on my house. I'm moving in November, so hopefully something cool and unexpected will arrive by then. If not, I'll just buy an X7 again, and hook it up to a high-end amp.

Update: I picked up a Dss2 and a Fiio E12. We'll see how that combo works out. Picked up both for less than $130, and the Fiio is a good portable amp, so we'll see.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #36,382 of 48,579

Just finished making my boom pro adapter and.......IT WORKS! :sunglasses:

Just wondering, would it be possible to replace the mini xlr in the headphones with a minijack and plug the boompro straight into that?

Also, start selling those.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #36,384 of 48,579
This just arrived from the UK, and kinda make me wish I still had the K712

Instant triggers (feel nicer than trigger stops), rear "fins" to replicate face buttons, Xbox One style thumbsticks, and overall just an awesome look.

-----

My old K712

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #36,385 of 48,579
I've got a Dragonfly Black now.

What, from these picks, do you guys recommend? [I do gaming the most, but I love me some metal/rock, huge fan of house music, and watch a lot of movies]

HE400S, AudioQuest NightHawk, Oppo PM-3[think I want these], HD598, Grado SR325SE or Grado Ps500E?

Leaning towards the Oppo PM-3 or HE400s, but worried about noise pollution from the HE400s [how much does the outside influence it, and howmuch does it leak sound into the room?]

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #36,386 of 48,579
Not really related to any conversation currently going or even gaming but I got to try a pair of EAH-T700s today at work. By far the most expensive set of headphones I've ever tried. The only problem is that I wasn't using them with my equipment, my music and couldn't A-B them with my own headphones, so I really don't know how to judge what I heard. They delivered sound in a different way to what I'm used to. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like there was space between my ears and the music (I guess more like listening to speakers but not really) whereas with my own headphones it sounds like the sound starts in your head and goes outward more or less dependant on whether I'm using my Cloud 2s (closed back) or K240 Mkiis (semi open).

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #36,387 of 48,579
New releases from Sennheiser:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818931/sennheiser-debuts-a-bunch-of-new-headphones-at-ifa#post_12832668

I had such a great time with my 598, wonder how big of an improvement these will be.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #36,389 of 48,579
Y'all need some cable management. :D Buy a signum rack from Ikea or something!

It's a 74" (6 feet plus) counter top from Ikea with two Kallax bookshelf unit as its legs. Trust me when I say that counter top is a robust monster. It was on clearance at Ikea, and it cost me just $20!. The Linnmon table tops are like $60 and incredibly cheap feeling. I scored big)

First one is when I temporarily had a Sony 43X830c (43" 4kTV). I got the TV because it's the ONLY 4K TV of this size sold today that has a native 120hz screen, that also accepts a true 1080p/120hz PC signal that also has backlight strobing tech for perfect motion blur without the additional input lag on motion interpolation. Unfortunately, the blacks were absolute garbage, and had some severe flashlighting in the corners. So I returned it, in hopes of waiting for a good 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 screen with at LEAST 120hz (hopefully for ULMB). The ones sold right now are 100hz max with no ULMB. So I been stuck with my Alienware laptop as my monitor. :frowning2: I have so much real estate, and all that is on the table is just the laptop, a lamp (temporarily), and a Tifa statue. The PS4, X7, headphones are all underneath on the left Kallax unit. Also wanna buy a decent area rug. I hate the feeling of tile. But man, rugs are expensive. I need at least a 7 x7, (ideally an 8x10) but they are like $150+.

Once I get my monitor, I'll buy some good desktop speakers to hook up to the X7.

The window is all jacked up because I haven't bought proper curtains yet, and trying to block out as much light as possible.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #36,390 of 48,579
Why do You keep the monitor on the desk instead of mounting it on the wall?

As for the speakers, try the E-MU ones, Creative has them on sale pretty much always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back