Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #36,364 of 48,583
  And you didnt notice a significant improvement in soundstage and positional awareness in it coming from the hd595??  What about the dolby headphone/astro mixamp??

Lol, no idea I tried them out with music. They really have thin bass but the soundstage was there.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #36,365 of 48,583
I have a mixamp pro 2013, and I have set my eyes in a Fostex HPA4 amp/dac because I want to upgrade my setup in sound quality even loosing surround sound.

Question is, how to keep the voice chat with the devices I have: AKG K612pro, 3.5 jack mic, mixamp pro and the future hpa4.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #36,367 of 48,583
I have a mixamp pro 2013, and I have set my eyes in a Fostex HPA4 amp/dac because I want to upgrade my setup in sound quality even loosing surround sound.

Question is, how to keep the voice chat with the devices I have: AKG K612pro, 3.5 jack mic, mixamp pro and the future hpa4.

You would need to double-amp, which Ive read is not so bad when amping the mixamp signal. Use the mix amp to control party/game mix, and your preferred amp to amplify the signal. Thing is, that way your new dac wont be converting, and I dont know if that is how you intend to get the improvement in audio quality. If that is the case, what I have done is get two cheap behringer  mixers, one with USB and one without (they can be both with usb) and use the USB of the mixer as the PS4's input device. Then use the optical output of the PS4 to your preferred DAC with toslink inputs. FRom there (your DAC), connect the outputs to the second mixer, to one of the adjustable inputs (usually NOT tape in), for which you are going to need RCA to 1/4"adapters. Then you connect the USB mixer's main output to the second mixer's inputs. At that point tou can lower or higher party of game audio inputs before sending the final mix to the second mixer main outputs. FRom there you connect to your preferred headphone amp and you are set. 

As you can see. to get the best from both a better DAC and better amp and retain the chat/game mixing capabilities require that you get a separate amp and dac, not a combo. The same applies for PC, I understand. I have not tried it with PC, but i guided a friend through it. 

I hope this helps. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #36,368 of 48,583
Kinda disappointed to see a rather tidy room where people actually live. Dunno why but I expected some kind of underground man-cave.

I like checking out other people's setups. Gives me ideas how to improve mine.

Do You use a DirectInput to Xinput wrapper for the DualShock4? Software such as DS4Tool or MotionInJoy should resolve the controller problems you've been having.

RE: wrapper for the DS4... Didn't know such a thing existed! Thanks! Hopefully I'll remember to look for it next time I PC game.

RE: other people's setups... Wasn't trying to shut you down for wondering what his setup looked like! Just saying, from a cabling and signal chain point of view, I was fully confident you could mentally picture the layout. Seeing the room and desk, from an aesthetic point of view, that's totally different and I like seeing those too!

Mine is a far from tidy. That's the reason I'm likely never going to post pics of my setup.

Tidy is how a space/man cave should be! Mine is coming along well!

Mine is not on the tidy side of the spectrum. Got a lot of stuff and redundancies, I tend to tuck things away three times a year but pull almost all of it out when testing out something new! Kind of ironic if you know me and that the spider web of connections required for a full Mixamp setup (especially on an XBox) annoys me... But in a simple manner, I like my wireless controller free and unwired, and on a more meta-level I like eliminating a cable here and there for the same reason a backpacking hiker has to carry a lot of gear but obsessively seeks to cut pounds and ounces in each piece of gear.

But yeah, my setup starts clean, and gets messy for reviews. Pic from me testing the Creative E3:

Current state as I walk in to the room today:

Sure, most people will look at that and shriek "What a mess!" But I look at it, and see Christmas morning :wink:
Here's a pic from when I cleared the desk (mostly) for a video I'm making:

Living room:

Well, I'm a big fan of the X7 and the HP-A4 is pretty similar sounding unit (maybe the Fostex has a smidge more refined implementation, but they use similar DAC and primary amp chips), but the HP-A4 is lower cost since it drops the DSP, Bluetooth, and speaker amp. I've actually been wondering what to do with my HP-A4 because after brief testing it's been living in it's shipping box. Shoot me a PM if you want to make a (PayPal) purchase offer.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #36,369 of 48,583
You would need to double-amp, which Ive read is not so bad when amping the mixamp signal.

While I agree that double amping isn't so bad and you made some great wiring setup suggestions, I think jandrogo was specifically saying he would give up surround sound and just use the Fostex. In that case, he could just plug the HP-A4 straight into the PS4's USB port, or set the PS4 to output stereo through optical and connect that to the HP-A4.

Connecting a mic would still be a separate deal (I'd still recommend a USB mic for ease of setup).

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #36,370 of 48,583
While I agree that double amping isn't so bad and you made some great wiring setup suggestions, I think jandrogo was specifically saying he would give up surround sound and just use the Fostex. In that case, he could just plug the HP-A4 straight into the PS4's USB port, or set the PS4 to output stereo through optical and connect that to the HP-A4.

Connecting a mic would still be a separate deal (I'd still recommend a USB mic for ease of setup).

Yeah, you are right, but when he said he wanted to keep voice chat function I thought he meant the ability to mix both streams of audio. If you dont do that, you will find, and this has been my experience, that the improvement in audio quality vanishes when you have loud friends shouting in the party. It simply comes out too strong and even overpower the game, no matter how much you prioritize the game audio with the slider inside the party settings. The ability to lower or higher party or game volume independently (mixing) is vital. As much as Ilove and appreciate the improvements Ive got from going from th Sony Gold Wireless headset to my HD600 powered from my valhalla 2 which is fed by the modi 2 uber, I  used go back to the sony's just because I can lower the volume of my extremely noisy friends/crew in CoD BOIII and that, sadly i have to say, makes for a better overall experience that the improved audio quality. That is why I went with the kind of complex wiring I described...and now I want to add a dolby headphone DAC...

Just sharing my experience hoping that it helps somebody. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #36,371 of 48,583
Sounds like BF1 has top-notch production values like every other DICE game, so I expect sound quality to be great.

Oh oh, who is getting Rising Storm 2: Vietnam? I know I am lol

I am, if only because AMG confirmed the ability to disable free aim in ADS. I have decent aim but couldn't hit anything in RS/RO2 because it felt like a ******* Wii game. RO2/RS is still one of my favorite MP FPS games though.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #36,372 of 48,583
On the PS4 I'm getting some distortion and white noise sometimes. I tried tweaking the sound settings and was surprised to find the default to be 'logitech headset.' I switched between 'home cinema' and 'hi-fi,' but no fix.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #36,373 of 48,583
RE: wrapper for the DS4... Didn't know such a thing existed! Thanks! Hopefully I'll remember to look for it next time I PC game.

RE: other people's setups... Wasn't trying to shut you down for wondering what his setup looked like! Just saying, from a cabling and signal chain point of view, I was fully confident you could mentally picture the layout. Seeing the room and desk, from an aesthetic point of view, that's totally different and I like seeing those too!

Mine is not on the tidy side of the spectrum. Got a lot of stuff and redundancies, I tend to tuck things away three times a year but pull almost all of it out when testing out something new! Kind of ironic if you know me and that the spider web of connections required for a full Mixamp setup (especially on an XBox) annoys me... But in a simple manner, I like my wireless controller free and unwired, and on a more meta-level I like eliminating a cable here and there for the same reason a backpacking hiker has to carry a lot of gear but obsessively seeks to cut pounds and ounces in each piece of gear.

But yeah, my setup starts clean, and gets messy for reviews. Pic from me testing the Creative E3:

Current state as I walk in to the room today:

Sure, most people will look at that and shriek "What a mess!" But I look at it, and see Christmas morning :wink:
Here's a pic from when I cleared the desk (mostly) for a video I'm making:

Living room:

Ceci n'est pas une setup

:grinning:
My setup is tidy and clean now. Putting the tv on the wall freed up a lot of space from the desk.

I've moved the X7 between the right speaker and the monitor since the picture was taken byt that's pretty much what it looks like.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #36,374 of 48,583
I sold my X7, now I have no way to connect my headphones to my PS4, for those rare occasions I get to play.

What's the next-best solution? I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with the Sound Blaster E5.

Also, I still have that AKG Q701, if anyone has something that I can connect to my PS4.

I don't think I'll be pleased with the SQ if I go back to a Mixamp. At this point, I'm guessing that I'm better off going with a standard 2-channel dac until I have the funds to get a proper setup.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #36,375 of 48,583
I sold my X7, now I have no way to connect my headphones to my PS4, for those rare occasions I get to play.

What's the next-best solution? I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with the Sound Blaster E5.

Also, I still have that AKG Q701, if anyone has something that I can connect to my PS4.

I don't think I'll be pleased with the SQ if I go back to a Mixamp. At this point, I'm guessing that I'm better off going with a standard 2-channel dac until I have the funds to get a proper setup.

Thanks in advance!

Sell a kidney and buy the Realizer A16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back