Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #33,586 of 48,578
If you're not going to use virtual surround, just get the Schiit stack. Better internals, power, etc.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #33,587 of 48,578
As good as Schiit is, I'd advise to go with Audio-gd at the $300 price range. You get way more bang for buck, just no rca input (which in his situation he won't need anyway).

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #33,588 of 48,578
As good as Schiit is, I'd advise to go with Audio-gd at the $300 price range. You get way more bang for buck, just no rca input (which in his situation he won't need anyway).

I do love Audio-GD.

Unless he decided to go tubes. In which case, Schiit modi2u + Vali 2 is an amazing choice.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #33,589 of 48,578
Just picked up the Mixamp Pro TR and have been using that with my Sennheiser HD558 headphones for a little while now on Xbox One... Just picked up the new A40 TR headset yesterday to see if it's any better than the old A40's that I used like 4 years ago on the Xbox 360. Maybe it's just me, but the headset just seems terrible. Compared to the HD558's it just seems like all the sound is muffled and like there's too much bass. It also seems significantly underpowered compared to the HD558s. The same volume (~60% on the mixamp) produces near ear-splitting sound and I've basically got the max out the sound dial for the A40's and still seems lacking.

Should I just return the A40's or am do I have a bad headset? Anyone else have A40 TR + Mixamp Pro TR and have any similar experience?

I wanted a more complete headset instead of just headphones, which is the only reason I even purchased it. That and I already had the mixamp. I just recently remembered this guide and kinda wish I had reviewed this again before buying anything, but alas...

Addendum: I feel its worth noting that I'm a relative newb when it comes to audio, I just want to get the best experience I can for FPS console gaming. I've also got a pair of ATH M50X that I've got at work for listening to music, don't know why I haven't brought them home to try for gaming yet.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #33,590 of 48,578
Just get a Boompro and a compatible headphone to plug and play on the mixamp. HD598? X2? SHP9500?

I personally now use the SHP9500.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #33,591 of 48,578
If you're not going to use virtual surround, just get the Schiit stack. Better internals, power, etc.

Yeah that was my initial thought.

Yeah i dont really need rca but i havent really looked into audio-gd what model do you suggest because i dont evven know where to start.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #33,592 of 48,578
Yeah that was my initial thought.
Yeah i dont really need rca but i havent really looked into audio-gd what model do you suggest because i dont evven know where to start.

NFB 11. The 15 (what I have) would have been another option but it's now discontinued.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #33,594 of 48,578
If I've already got the HD558 it wouldn't really be worth it to upgrade to the HD598, would it? What's the next step up from there? HD600 or HD650?

If so, then I'll also need a dac/amp too?

My point is, no headphone will be much of an audio upgrade if gaming on console with a mixamp. The whole point of console gaming is simplicity (right?), which is what I was suggesting. Does your HD558 have a 3.5mm input?

Edit: never mind, scratch the 558/598. What you will want for a more headset-like feel for FPS console gaming is something like the Philips X1, X2, or SHP9500, with a Vmoda Boompro mic. That will basically be just plug and play with your mixamp, with some slight workarounds on XBox in regards to plugging something into the controller (which I'm sure you are already used to).

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #33,596 of 48,578
  Just picked up the Mixamp Pro TR and have been using that with my Sennheiser HD558 headphones for a little while now on Xbox One... Just picked up the new A40 TR headset yesterday to see if it's any better than the old A40's that I used like 4 years ago on the Xbox 360. Maybe it's just me, but the headset just seems terrible. Compared to the HD558's it just seems like all the sound is muffled and like there's too much bass. It also seems significantly underpowered compared to the HD558s. The same volume (~60% on the mixamp) produces near ear-splitting sound and I've basically got the max out the sound dial for the A40's and still seems lacking.

Should I just return the A40's or am do I have a bad headset? Anyone else have A40 TR + Mixamp Pro TR and have any similar experience?

I wanted a more complete headset instead of just headphones, which is the only reason I even purchased it. That and I already had the mixamp. I just recently remembered this guide and kinda wish I had reviewed this again before buying anything, but alas...

Addendum: I feel its worth noting that I'm a relative newb when it comes to audio, I just want to get the best experience I can for FPS console gaming. I've also got a pair of ATH M50X that I've got at work for listening to music, don't know why I haven't brought them home to try for gaming yet.

Gaming headsets are terrible, any decent Headphone from decent brand are better.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #33,597 of 48,578
That new Logitech has both DH and DTS HP X though. Maybe Logitech can release an external DTS HP device

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #33,598 of 48,578
G933 7.1 DTS HPX doesn't work with many games since the new driver model doesn't rely on Windows Settings so you mostly get stereo as the device registers at 2.0.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #33,600 of 48,578
My point is, no headphone will be much of an audio upgrade if gaming on console with a mixamp. The whole point of console gaming is simplicity (right?), which is what I was suggesting. Does your HD558 have a 3.5mm input?

Edit: never mind, scratch the 558/598. What you will want for a more headset-like feel for FPS console gaming is something like the Philips X1, X2, or SHP9500, with a Vmoda Boompro mic. That will basically be just plug and play with your mixamp, with some slight workarounds on XBox in regards to plugging something into the controller (which I'm sure you are already used to).

The reason I got the mixamp to begin with was because it allowed me to bypass the controller, adjust volume of the game/players individually, and eq adjustments. My controller's battery life tripled, approximately.

I'll definitely look into the X2 or SHP9500 though, thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back