Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 26, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #33,541 of 48,572
Imitation products, perhaps? New manufacturing plant, and they read the assembly instructions wrong?

Mackem,
BoomPro isn't the ONLY way to add a mic, but there is a section of the first post specifically for listing headphones known to work with the BoomPro.

There are MANY high-end headphones with detachable cables, but to work with a BoomPro they need to have a single-sided entry and not have a proprietary connection.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #33,542 of 48,572
I have a Q40 which is compatible with boompro, changed the pads to DT770 velours which reduced the bass and increased the soundstage. the Bass on these is insane, Imagine an XB500 with clear and forward mids and smooth highs. The Soundstage is good too. The only issue it has is the clamp. You have to stretch the headband for sometime... they loosen up overtime.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #33,543 of 48,572
  I have a Q40 which is compatible with boompro, changed the pads to DT770 velours which reduced the bass and increased the soundstage. the Bass on these is insane, Imagine an XB500 with clear and forward mids and smooth highs. The Soundstage is good too. The only issue it has is the clamp. You have to stretch the headband for sometime... they loosen up overtime.

What's Q40? never heard that headphone before.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #33,545 of 48,572
Would anyone here be interested in making some MixAmp Pro TR equalizer presets? It's crazy how much a simple EQ can change aspects such as footsteps and gunshots in competitive FPS. To be honest, I'm really unfamiliar with equalizers, and while I can play around with the Astro Command Center a bit to change the sounds inside of Black Ops 3, I know that if someone with the right knowledge were to really fine tune a preset for competitive purposes, it could be a huge edge. I'd be willing to join some private matches and run around in circles to help obtain the frequency response of things like footsteps, player boosting, weapon switching, etc. I'd love to max out my setup for competitive CoD (K7XX + MixAmp TR - which btw, I didn't end up needing to double amp!). Anyways, here's the default "tournament" preset that Astro made up for competitive use. There's definitely some room for improvement...

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #33,546 of 48,572
Would anyone here be interested in making some MixAmp Pro TR equalizer presets? It's crazy how much a simple EQ can change aspects such as footsteps and gunshots in competitive FPS. To be honest, I'm really unfamiliar with equalizers, and while I can play around with the Astro Command Center a bit to change the sounds inside of Black Ops 3, I know that if someone with the right knowledge were to really fine tune a preset for competitive purposes, it could be a huge edge. I'd be willing to join some private matches and run around in circles to help obtain the frequency response of things like footsteps, player boosting, weapon switching, etc. I'd love to max out my setup for competitive CoD (K7XX + MixAmp TR - which btw, I didn't end up needing to double amp!). Anyways, here's the default "tournament" preset that Astro made up for competitive use. There's definitely some room for improvement...

Lower the bass and add upper mid frequencies.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #33,547 of 48,572
Lower the bass and add upper mid frequencies.

That was my first thought too, and while it does make some improvement, it's surprising how much of the Black Ops 3 footstep comes from the lower bass frequencies. It's like it has three parts: the main tap of the foot, the thumping bass portion of it, and a sleight echo afterwards. Dropping the bass too much "feels" like I'm losing a lot of the footstep. Although it does isolate the main clacking and tapping sound of the feet. I feel like there are so many different ways I could take this EQ, and each one makes a surprisingly large difference. If it's any help, I'm using Supercrunch as my BO3 audio setting.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #33,548 of 48,572
That was my first thought too, and while it does make some improvement, it's surprising how much of the Black Ops 3 footstep comes from the lower bass frequencies. It's like it has three parts: the main tap of the foot, the thumping bass portion of it, and a sleight echo afterwards. Dropping the bass too much "feels" like I'm losing a lot of the footstep. Although it does isolate the main clacking and tapping sound of the feet. I feel like there are so many different ways I could take this EQ, and each one makes a surprisingly large difference. If it's any help, I'm using Supercrunch as my BO3 audio setting.

Supercrunch is megacompressed. Try using hifi or large speakers or whatever it is called now. Lower the music and dialogue volume then in the mixamp lower the bass. 2013 mixamp has a Pro preset whick lowered the bass significantly which really helped pinpoibt footsteps among all the 'splosions.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #33,549 of 48,572
Supercrunch is megacompressed. Try using hifi or large speakers or whatever it is called now. Lower the music and dialogue volume then in the mixamp lower the bass. 2013 mixamp has a Pro preset whick lowered the bass significantly which really helped pinpoibt footsteps among all the 'splosions.

I know that was the case with Black Ops 2, but I swear Black Ops 3 might be different, haha. Truthfully, I could be totally wrong here, but just going off of my experience, Supercrunch makes footsteps laughably louder. The other viable presets are called "Headphones" and "High Boost". There is a theory that Supercrunch just makes everything louder though (as opposed to just high frequencies) so maybe I'm mistaking an overall increase in volume as "louder footsteps". I have music and dialogue turned off (always!) and I'm going to experiment some more with dropping the lowest bass slider in Astro's Command Center (although it noticeably eliminates the thumping bass of the footstep - hmm..). As far as introducing more upper-mid frequencies, what range is that in your opinion? Maybe 2.5Khz - 5Khz? Here's what I'm going to experiment with next - Black Ops 3 High Boost setting and this EQ:

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #33,550 of 48,572
I know that was the case with Black Ops 2, but I swear Black Ops 3 might be different, haha. Truthfully, I could be totally wrong here, but just going off of my experience, Supercrunch makes footsteps laughably louder. The other viable presets are called "Headphones" and "High Boost". There is a theory that Supercrunch just makes everything louder though (as opposed to just high frequencies) so maybe I'm mistaking an overall increase in volume as "louder footsteps". I have music and dialogue turned off (always!) and I'm going to experiment some more with dropping the lowest bass slider in Astro's Command Center (although it noticeably eliminates the thumping bass of the footstep - hmm..). As far as introducing more upper-mid frequencies, what range is that in your opinion? Maybe 2.5Khz - 5Khz? Here's what I'm going to experiment with next - Black Ops 3 High Boost setting and this EQ:

Supercrunch does make everything louder. Dunno about frequency ranges though, I'd just start a custom game with one bot and have the eq on the second screen and adjust it on the fly. Do You run Amplify + Dead Silence onYour classes?

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #33,551 of 48,572
Supercrunch does make everything louder. Dunno about frequency ranges though, I'd just start a custom game with one bot and have the eq on the second screen and adjust it on the fly. Do You run Amplify + Dead Silence onYour classes?

I do run awareness + dead silence, yeah! Using high boost and the EQ I posted most recently isn't giving me nearly as precise positioning, unfortunately. The footsteps seem so much more subtle without the bass portion of their sound. This is tricky!

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #33,552 of 48,572
So, I'm currently changing pads on a used 9500 I bought about a week ago. What the hell is up with Philips using unnecessary excess glue on all their headphones? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #33,553 of 48,572
Hi, I just cant find the answer for this so I´m asking here.
I´ve got PS4 hooked to my pc monitor via HDMI->DVI so there´s no sound that way. As of now I´m using controller headphone out to pc line-in. So I can hear both, PC and PS4 on my speakers and headphones (both connected to onboard pc card). That way my controller isn´t "wireless" and sound lvl from my headphones connected via front panel on pc are kinda low. So what I need to make it better? There are some ideas:
1) PS4 optical out -> Fiio D03k Taishan -> PC line in. I guess this is more or less the same as above. If so volume lvls will be still somewhat low. But I get rid of chord connected to ps4 controller
2)PS4 optical out -> Fiio E17 -> PC line in . Its DAC/AMP so the volume should be much better. But can I use headphone out to PC line in? I guess that mean double amping? Can I do this without sound degradation? Advantage is I can use E17 for PC,notebook etc. if needed.
3) PS4 optical out -> Creative Sound Blaster Z - It should work as above + it has built in headphone amp. So I guess that should work ok. How about sound wise? Seems like drivers from creative are pretty bad and that heapdhone amp isn´t great either.

Or can i use D03k to pc line-in and then use some amp just for headphones from pc? Thing is I´m using both - headset and speakers 50:50 and I don´t want to fiddle with cables every time.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #33,554 of 48,572
Imitation products, perhaps? New manufacturing plant, and they read the assembly instructions wrong?

Mackem,
BoomPro isn't the ONLY way to add a mic, but there is a section of the first post specifically for listing headphones known to work with the BoomPro.

There are MANY high-end headphones with detachable cables, but to work with a BoomPro they need to have a single-sided entry and not have a proprietary connection.

Oh, I know it's not the only way, it's just extremely convenient.

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #33,555 of 48,572
Just wondering if somepme wpuld please give me some advice about a mix amp for ps4 please?

I have been looking about and so far found 3 different versions avaliable and I'm clueless about which one to buy or if they are all pretty much the same with no major leap in quality?

There is:
Mix amp TR - £100
Mix amp pro - £80 (sometimes listed as the 2015 or the 2nd gen it has white striped strip on it)
Mix amp pro - £45 (2013 version)

Any of them hiss really bad? Is the 2013 editition good value or will I just hear hisssiness at normal levels on my low impeadance x2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back