Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #32,581 of 48,562
  Worth looking at the K7xx's on massdrop before you buy?

From all account's they're pretty much the Q701's, but with better bass and no headband bumps?

Which seem to be the 2 things you want to improve on with the 701's

No way, with same/better sound stage with same/better accuracy? That would be amazing, then I will definately go for massdrop if thats the case :xf_eek:

Currently Q701 are on sale on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004444OFK?keywords=q701&qid=1445598624&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2 for 179 usd.
Does the mass drop easily reach a similiar price? or more? If more, how much more?

Thanks in advanced. Definately will look more into the massdrop ones, cheers.

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #32,582 of 48,562
"Using the same dynamic driver technology as the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the open back headphones have been tweaked to deliver an extended frequency response and a wide, locationally specific soundstage that puts you closer to the source than most cans. The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB for fully immersive sound imaging. To make sure that the channels are synced up and well-balanced, each transducer is individually tested and paired to a transducer with the closest possible sound signature. "

-Massdrop K7XX edition

Is it me or does this sound like its better than Q701 across the board? including positional accuracy, imaging and bass :O

If someone can confirm my interpretations to be true, massdrop will be my hope then :D

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #32,583 of 48,562
Yeah - they are that.

I'd call them a 701 with the bass fixed.

Closer to the 712's at half? the price

They're a cheap packaging of a crowd improved product - what was bad with a good product has been fixed,

In every way - no lumpy headband, awesome ear pads, huge soundstage, but with bass

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #32,585 of 48,562
Yeah the Logitech Game Software bug has been super great fun for the past month or two, they've "fixed" it twice for foreign language Windows installs and neither fix did a damn thing, and they're basically ignoring everyone telling them that the issue also exists on English language Windows installs.

I don't think any of their forum staff even realizes that the headsets are supposed to be detected as 7.1 devices in Windows, it's ridiculous.

Yeah I mean it's beyond incredible. I remember having a similar issue with the onboard sound on one of my old motherboards, and ASUS acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Like I don't get it a all. How do you have a team of engineers create a product and not know the first and most important thing about how it's supposed to work? I can understand the ignorance from a motherboard vendor where sound is just an ancillary thing, but on a set of gaming headphones? And what kills me is that it still gets good reviews from all these places that can't even tell that it's not working right! What?

Anyway....is there any sound card, DAC or whatever with DTS headphone X on the horizon? I'm perfectly happy keeping the PLYRs, I just really want that feature. Dolby is too muddy, SBX is clear but the positioning isn't that well defined...but DTS had me almost jump out of my seat when I heard something behind me.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #32,586 of 48,562
now I'm HYPED, lol. Thanks for the information regarding the mass drop k7XX man, I can't wait to get them! haha, done deal. Any idea when the next drop will be?

I really appreciate the alternative you provided where i see nothing to regret, thats rare haha. My entry into the midfi shall be soon complete and glorious :*D

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #32,587 of 48,562
Yeah I mean it's beyond incredible. I remember having a similar issue with the onboard sound on one of my old motherboards, and ASUS acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Like I don't get it a all. How do you have a team of engineers create a product and not know the first and most important thing about how it's supposed to work? I can understand the ignorance from a motherboard vendor where sound is just an ancillary thing, but on a set of gaming headphones? And what kills me is that it still gets good reviews from all these places that can't even tell that it's not working right! What?

Anyway....is there any sound card, DAC or whatever with DTS headphone X on the horizon? I'm perfectly happy keeping the PLYRs, I just really want that feature. Dolby is too muddy, SBX is clear but the positioning isn't that well defined...but DTS had me almost jump out of my seat when I heard something behind me.

Thats some good information to learn, i didn't know dolby was muddy, :frowning2: going to have to gook for another competitive alternative for positional ques :frowning2: So DTS is the way to go for competitive/immersive gameplay? I haven't heard of DTS headphone X, is that a newer revision of dts? Im kinda noobish in the competitive/audiophile industry lol. I was the guy who though astro a50 were beast for competitive gaming till i started researching into audiophile gear n then this thread haha.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #32,589 of 48,562
Thats some good information to learn, i didn't know dolby was muddy, :frowning2: going to have to gook for another competitive alternative for positional ques :frowning2: So DTS is the way to go for competitive/immersive gameplay? I haven't heard of DTS headphone X, is that a newer revision of dts? Im kinda noobish in the competitive/audiophile industry lol. I was the guy who though astro a50 were beast for competitive gaming till i started researching into audiophile gear n then this thread haha.

DTS headphone X is the DTS's alternative to Dolby headphone. It's relatively new. Maybe muddy isn't the right word to describe DH. It's not as clearly defined. The simulated side/rear speakers sound relatively distant and there's a lot of reverb mixed in from the virtual room. This isn't wrong per se - it's exactly what you'd want for movies but IMO it's not optimal for games. It's not bad, it's just not as good as it could be. On the G933s DTS lets you select between a mode similar to Dolby, but also includes a mode with virtual speakers that are much closer and clearly defined, with much less room interaction. It's much easier to precisely locate sounds around you.

But the only way currently that I know of to get DTS headphone X is built in to turtle beach headsets that sound like absolute trash, or the aforementioned Logitech headset that doesn't work correctly and it's unclear if it ever will.

Now that I've heard DTSHPX I don't really want to use DH anymore, but since there isn't any way to bring it to your own headphones...ugh. Hopefully someone fixes that soon.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #32,590 of 48,562
  apparently i missed the drop by 2 days :*( my luck never ceases to amaze me haha. I hope the next drop won't be too far away.

I managed to get in at the last minute, but I wasn't too concerned if I missed it as I knew there would always be second-hand ones up for sale. And you shouldn't have to worry about unfair mark-ups as Head-Fi seemingly has rules against that.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #32,591 of 48,562

I managed to get in at the last minute, but I wasn't too concerned if I missed it as I knew there would always be second-hand ones up for sale. And you shouldn't have to worry about unfair mark-ups as Head-Fi seemingly has rules against that.

Yeah, and forum members know generally what's a fair price for something, so odds are someone will raise a flag if they see someone jacking the $ up.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #32,592 of 48,562

Yeah, and forum members know generally what's a fair price for something, so odds are someone will raise a flag if they see someone jacking the $ up.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen in the guitar world. Guys buy expensive effects pedals that have a waiting list, increase the wait time artificially—and in turn the demand—then sell the pedals for a premium once they receive them from the manufacturer. They might play it for a few hours, but ultimately it'll quickly up on the forums or eBay within 24 hours. Someone who is desperate enough and doesn't want to wait will pay. It's not necessarily immoral; it's more irritating.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #32,593 of 48,562
People seem to forget that if you gain something, you lose something else. In the case of the Q701 vs Annie/7XX, you gain bass and warmth at the expense of less clearly defined details, and a soundstage that sounds more congested due to the added thickness in detals. The soundstage size is comparable, but there is less virtual space due to the change in tone. So no, the Q701 isn't completely beaten. Anyone with bass mods or Annies/7XX tell you different, they're in denial and under the influence of expectation bias.

The Q701 untouched is still gonna be more detailed. But I'll take the slight loss for the addition of warmth/less fatigue, and choose the latter two any day of the week over the Q701. This is a case where pros outweigh the cons.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #32,594 of 48,562

@Darius510 Nice, thanks all for the info, can't wait for DTS Headphone X implementation to headfi headphones. Agreed i hated my logitech g930 as well, i always was unable to accurately tell where people were. Thanks for the clarification.

Whats a reasonable price for second hand k7xx mass drop edition? I might buy it second hand if the mass drop will take too long. Only downside is no warranty :frowning2:. How long does the mass drop take between k7xx headphone runs?

@Mad Lust Envy Thanks for the further clarification. So it is better in almost every way(comfort and fun with fuller sound), but losses a little of the competitive edge due to more sound distraction present compared to the q701. correct? Then ill definitely take the k7xx mass drop! What if i lower bass eq just a bit for times when i feel really competitive? Would it give it back its competitive positional ques or even more than the q701 and turn it back to normal for immersion times?

Thanks in advanced, finally tying things together and how they work haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back