Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #32,551 of 48,578
Nobody gave MLE a sample, that's why. 

Even though his absence and (kinda) vacation from this hobby is well deserved I hope one day he'll find his way back to this thread and review more headphones again. It was always good to read and kinda exciting, no matter the price range. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #32,552 of 48,578
^We'll see...

Ah, the absolute ****ing nightmare of dealing with Philips customer service, or the sheer non-existence of it.

If the masses could hear my absolute disdain for their customer service, I wish I could publicly shame them for it, so they could get off their asses and do something about it.

edit: I get a hold of one, and we go through the steps, and halfway in, he leaves the chat. What

edit 2: So I got a call back, and they were able to finish the process. Thank god. I'll be getting a replacement or refund. Good to know.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #32,553 of 48,578
would the schiit Magni 2 uber or 02 amp be an upgrade over my sound blaster z amp in terms of gaming with my q701? i'd also like to know if another sound card or mix amp could do virtual surround better then my sound blaster z. im happy with my current setup but im always looking to maximize performance, im a very competitive player in fps games

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #32,554 of 48,578
would the schiit Magni 2 uber or 02 amp be an upgrade over my sound blaster z amp in terms of gaming with my q701? i'd also like to know if another sound card or mix amp could do virtual surround better then my sound blaster z. im happy with my current setup but im always looking to maximize performance, im a very competitive player in fps games

I have a akg q701 and a Soundblaster z as well.
I normally game on xbox one.
The magni2 on the pc connected to the Soundblaster the bass is a tad better.
But on the xbox using the mixamp the magni 2 only changed te volume. But it's only my opinion

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #32,555 of 48,578
I use the mixamp with ps4, with the magni 1 and k7xx. My ears noticed a volume increase and bass increase in quantity and quality with the magni. YMMV I guess.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #32,556 of 48,578
I'd look at the K7xx from Massdrop rather than the Q701 if I was buying new

edit: apologies - I thought OP was looking to purchase. Just re-read the post.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #32,557 of 48,578
^We'll see...

Ah, the absolute ****ing nightmare of dealing with Philips customer service, or the sheer non-existence of it.

If the masses could hear my absolute disdain for their customer service, I wish I could publicly shame them for it, so they could get off their asses and do something about it.

edit: I get a hold of one, and we go through the steps, and halfway in, he leaves the chat. What

edit 2: So I got a call back, and they were able to finish the process. Thank god. I'll be getting a replacement or refund. Good to know.

Glead too see things worked out

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #32,558 of 48,578
  I'd look at the K7xx from Massdrop rather than the Q701 if I was buying new

edit: apologies - I thought OP was looking to purchase. Just re-read the post.

I have finally figured out how to quote people...I know...lol..  I was the old school kinda guy and recently started getting into forums. 

Anyway, is the k7xx from mass drop better than the q701? whats difference between the k7xx from mass drop and regular k7xx from amazon for instance? Ive heard the akg headphones work well with the schit stack which is great news :D

Also is it possible to use the astro a50 mixamp from ps4 and plug it into the schit stack 2 uber? from there headphones for dolby surround and power for the cans?

Thanks in advanced!

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #32,559 of 48,578
I have finally figured out how to quote people...I know...lol..  I was the old school kinda guy and recently started getting into forums. 

Anyway, is the k7xx from mass drop better than the q701? whats difference between the k7xx from mass drop and regular k7xx from amazon for instance? Ive heard the akg headphones work well with the schit stack which is great news :D

Also is it possible to use the astro a50 mixamp from ps4 and plug it into the schit stack 2 uber? from there headphones for dolby surround and power for the cans?

Thanks in advanced!

Which is better is entirely subjective, as with any other opinionated, nonfactual topic. It all depends if you like a brighter, leaner tone (Q701) or a slightly warm, more balanced tone (K7XX). Both are great cans for their price, but the K7XX is a Massdrop exclusive that is sold for $199. Any other distribution of it is second hand and more than likely marked up in price.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #32,560 of 48,578
The sound blaster z has high output impedance (~20 ohm iirc), but the AKGs aren't that affected by it despite being low impedance headphones, so that's alright I think. The k7xx has a smooth headband, while the q701 has bumps. I can't understate how much people complain about the comfort of the bumps. They also make k702's without bumps, which are similar to the q701 in sound, but the older revisions still have bumps.The k7xx is more similar to the k712 in sound, so the massdrop deal is a bargain if you can get it.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #32,561 of 48,578
^We'll see...

What a nightmare, and altogether inexcusable when you're talking about a $300 product.

Glad it (finally) was resolved.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #32,562 of 48,578
Some clarifications and personal opinions, folks, but aiming to help!

xD ^_^

That DSS from Turtle Beach looks ideal. The original DSS seems to be discontinued and might be harder to source. Is the DSS2 just as good or was there some 'magic' in the DSS original?

Well, the DSS "original" is recommended because it's easily found on eBay for $30 or less. At least, it was super easy last year, I saw a seller with a bunch of them and many other sellers. FiiO does make an optical converter, the D03k or D05k, but I'm pretty sure it costs more anyway. There's also a FiiO stereo wireless transmitter too; again, more $$.

Dss2 dropped Dolby headphone and uses TB's own surround processing. I only had the first dss, but read many places over the years that the dss2 didn't sound as good.

Dolby Headphone and licensing adds to the manufacturing cost, yes. The DSS2 has a Cirrus Logic DAC chip, and actually sounds pretty good from what I've read (search user i95north in this thread for owner impressions). It still has Dolby decoding, but after that step it uses Cirrus' headphone surround mix. If you don't need headphone surround, apparently the DAC/amp is supposed to be slightly clearer.

DSS had 7.1 processing, the DSS2 only has 5.1 because Turtle Beach realized hardly anyone used the 7.1. Sound-wise, the DSS2 has a slight edge, imo.

This has been re-tread a few times in this thread too, both units can receive the same Dolby 7.1 signal and decode it properly, it's just that Turtle Beach's marketing gave people the impression (with a picture of 4 speakers in a video, and 5.1 written on the box) that it wouldn't "read" the 7 speaker directions. The DSS2 does, it just uses Cirrus' headphone algorythm for the output while the original DSS licensed a different Dolby product, "Dolby Headphone," for it's output.

Confused yet? Both have Dolby Digital Live (5.1/7.1) input, but they have slightly different headphone surround outputs. If AngryGoldfish is in a headphone surround thread and he doesn't want to use headphone surround, then either will probably be fine.

I recently mentioned that the K267 at $129 from Massdrop is the best closed headphone I heard under $200. Only other closed headphone I liked in that price range was the HP100/HP150.

I don't like closed headphones because I have personal fit, heat, and comfort issues, but Change has a good ear for these closed headphones (and thumbstick covers) and I'd trust his recommendation here. For open headphones in this price range, I'd still stick with recommending an AKG Kxx or K612 (the latter if you've got a loud amp where you use like 20% of the volume), I've found the bass and the whole frequency range satisfying and energetic for both of these all-rounder suited headphones.

The Schiit M&M stack is solid and has decent performance, but I was a little unimpressed and found it a bit dry. I heard it and thought "Oh. Ok. That's clear, I guess that's pretty good." However, it didn't have any qualities that left me enchanted. I'd suggest at least a Vali instead, or a Garage1217 amp, or if you want a capable/transportable all in one I suggest a Creative E5 or even better the G5 whenever it comes out next month (if you want E5 + console gaming surround).

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #32,563 of 48,578
Which is better is entirely subjective, as with any other opinionated, nonfactual topic. It all depends if you like a brighter, leaner tone (Q701) or a slightly warm, more balanced tone (K7XX). Both are great cans for their price, but the K7XX is a Massdrop exclusive that is sold for $199. Any other distribution of it is second hand and more than likely marked up in price.

sorry, mean which is better for competitive gaming(audio positional and accuracy que's) and immersive gaming. 

Thanks in advanced. 

I came across the hd800, mahgod, they are the best overall headphones for competitive/immersive gaming and music :xf_eek:. but the price tag ;_;

I would love to come across a detailed review comparing various other headphones against them in competitive/fun/comfort categories! If the gap is big enough, i might take the leap haha. Will require some saving on the side for them. Unless theres better alternatives that offer similar performance but cheaper.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #32,564 of 48,578
AD700x, AKG Q/K701, AKG K7xx, AKG K612, Sony MA900... The first two and the Sony are pretty much the top choices for competitive at-home sound whoring, nothing else below the HD800's cost has come close to the ideal traits for the niche. If you want something more revealing with also great expansive soundstage after the K/Q701, the next step pretty much is just deciding between the HD800 and open Ether, and maybe the HiFiman Edition X once that comes out, or the Dharma.

If you want to improve the experience upon the AKGs, you're better off experiencing an upgrade to your DAC and amp. Those contribute to the soundstage and separation... The AKGs scale up well past their initial price range if you feed them well, and $1k+ headphones can really be a quite small improvement if you don't have a very clean and capable system anyway.

(I know this won't "help," but I can confirm that listening to "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" in high-res FLAC on a setup of HD800+Cavalli Liquid Carbon (balanced)+ Audio GD DAC19... was a truly stunning moment that really haunted me and stuck with me throughout that night, one of the speechless moments at RMAF... But the next day, at the Cavalli booth, overall I preferred the slightly less airy Ether over the same HD800 on an even higher-end setup, and later the Fostex HP900 + the $8k Fostex tube amp and I don't even know what DAC absolutely blew me away with stunning musicality with Radiohead's "Weird Fishes/Arppegio" compared to the same headphone and same song file on a decent couple-hundred-$ transportable DAC/amp combo before it)

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #32,565 of 48,578
Given all the above ^^ I'd add the HD598's in there too.

Still in the price range, maybe not as favoured as the others, but damn they are comfortable for me.

Would definitely recommend trying on any of the ones you're looking at before you buy if you get a change - would give up 5% sound whoring for comfort with a set of cans that I forget are on my head. My K7xx's and my HD700's always feel present when they're on my head - as if they need adjusting. The 598's just disappear.

(keep in mind - that is even more personal than sound - what feels great so some can hurt others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back