Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 24, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #32,596 of 48,578
Had to return the Jaybird X2. I really just can't handle in ears, even with the comfy comply tips. This severely limits my choices for wireless on the go stuff. I like neckband wireless deigns, but need one to sit properly on my ears. The Motorola one didn't so I lost all the SQ...

There's a bunch of others, but they're all no name brands and quite cheap, which terrifies me.

I don't wanna blind purchase something that won't sit right on the ears, or that is pure rubbish.

A shame, the Motorola one was very comfortable.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #32,597 of 48,578
Had to return the Jaybird X2. I really just can't handle in ears, even with the comfy comply tips. This severely limits my choices for wireless on the go stuff. I like neckband wireless deigns, but need one to sit properly on my ears. The Motorola one didn't so I lost all the SQ...

There's a bunch of others, but they're all no name brands and quite cheap, which terrifies me.

I don't wanna blind purchase something that won't sit right on the ears, or that is pure rubbish.

A shame, the Motorola one was very comfortable.

damn, that sucks to hear, I had a good in ear set as well, forgot the name. Lost one of the in ear pads :frowning2:. They were really comfortable because they went deep in they ear n provided decent sound. They had 3 stages like these 
http://evolver.fm/2012/03/20/when-earbuds-attack-a-cautionary-tale-with-a-horrifying-photo/

the sound quality was nice n i was able to work out without them constantly falling off, though this article made me skepticle of such a design. Though it won't be a big deal if you notice a missing piece :D

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #32,598 of 48,578
I have very sensitive ears, so I would definitely feel that inside my ear canal, lol.

That's smething I know I'll never have to deal with, since I find the 3 stage tips terrible for comfort (Had a set of Hifiman REOs with it. I sold my REOs pretty fast.

I'm pretty much batting 0% with IEMs. And as I stated a few days ago, the only ones I liked are the JVC Marshmallows which felt like I was wearing nothing, but sounded really muddy. They needed a lot of EQ.

I may actually look into those again. They cost like $15, so not a big deal...though it defeats the purpose of me not wanting wired headphones.

Hell the Marshmallows are good enough to buy just to steal the tips and use them for something better. Perhaps I should've bought some memory foam tips for the X2, since the regular foam ones werent working for me. Oh well. It really is just an issue with the tips... so now I think I may have jumped the gun in returning them. Perhaps I'll rebuy them some other time and try again with some other tips..

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #32,600 of 48,578
So, a sort of OT question.
This goes to the streamers out there - I am having trouble figuring out a way to keep a loud and consistent tone going when playing. Somewhat uneven but I certainly blame that on inexperience more than anything [been like 2 months since I started].
This is not an issue when just recording footage as these things can be satisfactorily fixed in Audacity [I usually normalize, apply some compression, soft limiter and normalize again, which works well for me].
But without doing that, the recording would just be too silent and uneven.
I wonder how many guys, be it recorded gameplay or streamers, get their voice so loud... I guess they just compress and limit the schiit out of it or they just have more practice and keep an even pace.
Anyway, any tips or tricks appreciated! I'd like to switch to streaming and then just uploading to YT as recording and editing takes lots of time [if I made any money out of it it'd be fine but as it stands editing is just too time consuming].
I just need to get the output louder on the fly but I am not quite sure what to change to make it that way.
I record either through OBS or Avermedia software, always calibrate my preamp properly [I use a nice AT mic. Love it!], yet the 'raw' commentary always comes out too quiet [anywhere in the 26 - 3dB range at parts depending on loudness] vs [12 - 2dB after editing]. Those are just example numbers.
I do need to work on my voice as well, that I know 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #32,601 of 48,578
Hardware audio balancer with separate game and chat input?

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #32,602 of 48,578
Im sure this is re tread but can the PS4 and Xbox One output 7.1 from optical? I see conflicting reports. 
I have the Mixamp 5.8 TX just wondering if that can accept 7.1, Im pretty sure it can. Just don't know of the
consoles suport it for sure. I just took the TX out of storage I never used it all that much but I have to admit its
pretty great.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #32,603 of 48,578
  Im sure this is re tread but can the PS4 and Xbox One output 7.1 from optical? I see conflicting reports. 
I have the Mixamp 5.8 TX just wondering if that can accept 7.1, Im pretty sure it can. Just don't know of the
consoles suport it for sure. I just took the TX out of storage I never used it all that much but I have to admit its
pretty great.

Nothing can output true 7.1 through optical as it doesn't have enough bandwidth for that. However, one can use Dolby Pro Logic IIz to encode the addditional two channels in a 5.1 signal for an almost-like-true-7.1. And yes, consoles do support that. However the additional two channels do not make much of a difference in virtual surround anyway.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #32,604 of 48,578
Are there any headsets of similar quality to AKG K702 for Dolby gaming of a lower price point? How do the Superlux's compare to the K702s? I had a pair of K702s, but sold them last year when I switched from PC to console gaming. I'm considering getting another, but since finding this forum I figured I might ask around before I make any such purchase.

For my build I plan to run a Magni 2 Amp, an Astro A40 TR PS4 Mixamp, and either K702s, Superlux's, or something within that range, but within a reasonable price point. I'd be willing to spend up to around $400, but if I can find a solid headpiece on the cheap, that'd be wonderful. Price isn't too much of an issue, but I don't want to just spend unreasonably. Those Superlux's are looking pretty at $40. I've read nothing but good things about them so far.

This setup is for a Playstation 4. I primarily play FPS games, namely Call of Duty.

EDIT: I've posted an update to my working setup for anyone looking for a similar setup. Just browse a few pages ahead or search through my posts to find the detailed setup guide.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #32,606 of 48,578
  hmm, while I wait for the mass drop, what do u guys think of Supberlux HD681 eve vs astro a50? i already have a dedicated mic

I recently bought the Evo, the bass is present and very well controlled, the mids and treble are fine too. soundstage is also great, my only complaint is the fit, It doesn't fit perfectly on my big head.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #32,607 of 48,578
You'd be paying almost as much for the Astro as you are for the K7xx wouldn't you?

And it'd only be a temporary unit while you wait?

If I had to make the choice I'd look at something like the Koss's or a cheap closed can, so at the end of the day you'd have 2 totally different headphones that do what they do well - and each would still have a place moving fowrard.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #32,608 of 48,578
  You'd be paying almost as much for the Astro as you are for the K7xx wouldn't you?

And it'd only be a temporary unit while you wait?

If I had to make the choice I'd look at something like the Koss's or a cheap closed can, so at the end of the day you'd have 2 totally different headphones that do what they do well - and each would still have a place moving fowrard.

my bad, forgot to mention my current headset is the astro a50, but was wondering how the superlux 681 evo stand against the astro a50 headset. Would it be better than the astro a50? Cuz gaming headsets are usually bad n the astro are closed back. the super lux are cheap upgrade and seemed to be highly regarded till the mass drop 7XX event in 2-3 months. I'm hoping less than 2 months. I was wondering,would those be an upgrade compared to the astro a50 in terms of positional accuracy, soundstage and imaging?

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #32,610 of 48,578
I am open to any other cheap alternative better than the superlux 681 evo, while being better than the a50 till the mass drop. 

Aurvana Live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back