Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #31,981 of 48,568
Just when I thought I had narrowed it down to two (sigh...) I'm now throwing the SoundMAGIC HP150 into the mix. Any final thoughts here on which of these closed back cans will give me the best positional audio for competitive gaming with the new MixAmp Pro TR? Again, I'm down to these three:

- AKG K553 Pro
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 Ohm Edition)
- SoundMAGIC HP150

Really would love some advice - thanks, guys!

No love here? Would really appreciate any insight!

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #31,983 of 48,568
Haven't tried any of those so I can't give you a valid opinion.

Guys, question: for those with an AX720 or if you know... Would the Turtle Beach ps4 chat cable work with the puck? I assume the AX720 has the same input as the Mixamp for the controller side chat. I see the puck has a controller input, but not sure it's compatible with the TB ps4 chat cable, and he lives in Rhode Island so I can't confirm. I ask, because my friend has the AX720 and JUST got a ps4. I told him to buy the Boompro for his X2, as well as the chat cable for the AX720 puck. Now I'm afraid I screwed up.

Been way too long since I had the AX720 around the house, so I forget if its a 2.5mm or 3.5mm controlled input.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #31,984 of 48,568

Guys, question: for those with an AX720 or if you know... Would the Turtle Beach ps4 chat cable work with the puck? I assume the AX720 has the same input as the Mixamp for the controller side chat. I see the puck has a controller input, but not sure it's compatible with the TB ps4 chat cable, and he lives in Rhode Island so I can't confirm. I ask, because my friend has the AX720 and JUST got a ps4. I told him to buy the Boompro for his X2, as well as the chat cable for the AX720 puck. Now I'm afraid I screwed up.

Been way too long since I had the AX720 around the house, so I forget if its a 2.5mm or 3.5mm controlled input.

Not sure about the purpose of turtle beach chat cable but i connected my old headphones to the puck and a mod mic and it worked perfectly, a regular splitter for $4 would work.

Was with my PS4.

mind you this was some time ago since i have upgraded to the X7

not sure if i'm way off base here and misunderstood what you were after

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #31,985 of 48,568
He can't seem to get the Ax720 to work with the PS4 through USB, so I needed a cable between the puck's controller input, and the Dualshock 4's audio jack for chat purposes.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #31,986 of 48,568
  No love here? Would really appreciate any insight!

I have a pair of K550s and they have an amazingly large soundstage for closed back headphones, pretty excellent for gaming. I haven't heard DT770s personally, but what I've been able to deduce is they'll have better bass but a slightly smaller soundstage.

I really don't see you being disappointed with any of the three, so just go with what you can get the best deal on. I lean towards AKG (fanboyism), the Beyer, then SoundMAGIC... just because I know nothing about SoundMAGIC.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #31,988 of 48,568
  Hmmmm what do you do for a living? lol JK

Dam thats not your typical speaker set up.

If I ever made a purchase like that, well.........I wouldnt buy anthing else for the rest of the year lol

I've had my 5.1 cinema setup since I worked for Magnolia Home Theater years ago. Trust me when I say I paid nowhere near market price on my setup.

Only two headphones in my experience have given me a superior experience when gaming to an actual 5.1 system, the HE1000 and now my Ether. If anyone is considering either for gaming, they're both excellent choices.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #31,989 of 48,568
Hi

I've bought the Wireless Playstation Headset 2.0 (Playstation Gold in the us) on a whim for my ps4 as my 5.1 speakers have broken down. I was thinking of using it for a while before I got a nice pair of gaming headphones which require a bit more of a serious investment. However from what I've read, the performance isn't up to par with others? Is it worse than the m50x? Because If I return these, I will be playing games with my m50x plugged into my ps4 controller because that would be better than the terrible Samsung TV speaker. Is it worth keeping the wireless Playstation headset (I think its called Playstation Gold in the USA)? Is there a better pair of gaming headphones for the same price or are the m50x adequate for gaming? Preferably I would like it to be either wireless or able to plug in to the ps4 controller. I think I'll invest in a decent pair of headphones with a Astro 5.8 mixamp at a later date. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #31,990 of 48,568
Oooh, I am very interested in your comparison because.....I have all three muahahahha.

Though I'm only using my X2 for now. My MA900 I have not used for like a year. SHP9500 used them for a month or so but it's been about 7 months since I have used them. Even my K7XX hasn't seen much use ever since I got my X2. I think my M50 gets more use than the K7XX.

Maybe I should try the MA900 again and see how it sounds and comparing it with the x2 and K7XX. ....

Hopefully you will give us your comparisons soon.

I will try to get it done this weekend, no promises though. Here is a hint though, the SPH9500 + Boom Pro Mic might be my go to recommendation for gaming headphones going forward. Need more time to test as I only got them on Sunday.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #31,991 of 48,568

I have this cable (3.5mm from controller to 2.5mm) and it does work perfectly with the Mixamp so it should work with AX720 too.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #31,992 of 48,568
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

Seriously... I just narrowed down my choice to the AKG K553 Pro because I felt like the DT 770 32 Ohm wouldn't be driven well with the MixAmp alone (because of sensitivity, not impedance). So I went to Guitar Center in Manhattan to try on the AKG K553 - when I was there, I asked if they had the 32 Ohm DT 770 (thought I'd try it on for fun) and he responds, "Nope, just the 16 ohm i version". THE 16 OHM i VERSION?! Seriously, I can't find ONE page on google, head-fi, anywhere, about a 16 ohm "i version"... yet there I was holding it in the store. I finally found SOMETHING on it - from guitar center's website. Am I going crazy here having never heard of this? Or is this so brand new that it's not even on google or beyerdynamic's site yet? SO CONFUSED...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic/DT-770-i-Headphones.gc#productDetail

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #31,993 of 48,568
  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

Seriously... I just narrowed down my choice to the AKG K553 Pro because I felt like the DT 770 32 Ohm wouldn't be driven well with the MixAmp alone (because of sensitivity, not impedance). So I went to Guitar Center in Manhattan to try on the AKG K553 - when I was there, I asked if they had the 32 Ohm DT 770 (thought I'd try it on for fun) and he responds, "Nope, just the 16 ohm i version". THE 16 OHM i VERSION?! Seriously, I can't find ONE page on google, head-fi, anywhere, about a 16 ohm "i version"... yet there I was holding it in the store. I finally found SOMETHING on it - from guitar center's website. Am I going crazy here having never heard of this? Or is this so brand new that it's not even on google or beyerdynamic's site yet? SO CONFUSED...

DT770i? Wow, I've never heard of that either, and I own lots of Beyers!

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #31,994 of 48,568

DT770i? Wow, I've never heard of that either, and I own lots of Beyers!

I did some serious digging to find more info on it. By reverse image searching the photos of it on Guitar Center's site, I was able to find some other sites that had it listed as well. They all had a "NEW" logo on the product page, so I guess I must have just seen one of the first ones ever produced (they literally only had one in the store). Unfortunately they closed for the night before I could try them out...

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #31,995 of 48,568
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

I was there just a few hours ago and I did see those 770i, I was like What?

I didn't ask them about it or anything but I'll have to see what they are really up to with those 16ohm drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back