Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #31,996 of 48,583

I was there just a few hours ago and I did see those 770i, I was like What?

I didn't ask them about it or anything but I'll have to see what they are really up to with those 16ohm drivers...

I still love the bassy sound sig on the old 80ohm pro. They aren't exactly transparent, but they sure are fun to listen to.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #31,997 of 48,583
I was there just a few hours ago and I did see those 770i, I was like What?

I didn't ask them about it or anything but I'll have to see what they are really up to with those 16ohm drivers...

Haha, that's too ironic. Yeah, had I tried them I don't think I would have been of much help to this forum, considering I've only ever heard the MMX 300 for comparison.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #31,998 of 48,583
  Haha, that's too ironic. Yeah, had I tried them I don't think I would have been of much help to this forum, considering I've only ever heard the MMX 300 for comparison.

I also saw the Custom Studio? (I think they are the Custom One Pro, because they look identical yet the name is different)

I wonder what Beyer is doing with their line up......?

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #32,000 of 48,583
Custom Teslas coming as well. Rumored T1880 but that's a T80 style rumor for me right now. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #32,001 of 48,583
I have this cable (3.5mm from controller to 2.5mm) and it does work perfectly with the Mixamp so it should work with AX720 too.

No. AX720 is a 3.5mm input for the controller. Mixamp is 2.5mm. It won't work.

In the near/far future I'm ONLY interested in wireless headphones for a closed headphone solution. Hell, At this point, I wouldn't mind going all wireless, open and closed. I'd just hope the Wireless headphone has a proper transmitter with a 3.5mm input so I could hook up a virtual surround amp (non-working X7 atm).

I'm in that part of my life where convenience trumps sound quality. Obviously, the best SQ for the money would be nice.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #32,002 of 48,583
Was asking about the Senn RS185's (or similar) a few pages ago being fed from one of the options.

RCA to 3.5mm cable via a mixamp for the console, optical using "what you hear" for the PC

I reckon they could be viable.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #32,003 of 48,583

My mistake, sorry. From the looks of it the 3.5mm jack is a 3-pole one and not a 4-pole one, so my best guess is that it is internally wired just like the 2.5mm jack in the x360 controller so a 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter on a PS4 chat cable would work. 3.5mm 4-pole plug from the controller to 3.5mm 3-pole plug on the AX720

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #32,004 of 48,583

I've been experimenting with it a bit on my notebook, but Windows 10 was a bit of a wake-up call in that volume adjustment no longer works properly.

With the X-Fi MB3 device as the default, it's either mute or whatever your Realtek volume's set at, and because the native Realtek device is NOT the default, that's not what gets adjusted by the volume controls.

This wasn't a problem in Windows 8.1, so who knows if Creative's ever going to fix it...

Eeeeehhh, that doesn't really answer what I wanted to know.

I would like to know if it'll function with my Xonar DG, (or if it works with any Xonar card).

Basically to get SBX I can either try to buy that and stick with my Xonar DG, or buy a new soundcard. ATM my Xonar seems to be giving me good sound (though I don't know if it's of a level of quality appropriate for my Fidelio X1s...), and i don't think I'll be able to get a Creative card of comparable quality that comes with SBX, for cheaper than buying the MB3 software.

I don't really feel like upgrading my soundcard for qualities sake right now because I feel like getting something significantly better than my Xonar DG will cost more than I can justify and I probably won't hear much difference...

I've got other things I want to blow money on, ya know?

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #32,007 of 48,583
For the STX, DON'T use the normal gain. All that does is forcibly limit the volume output, it's not changing the impedance. Unless you find your volume moving from low to high too fast, always put the STX at high gain. That's just letting it use all of it's potential. I swear, if you've been complaining about volume WHILE keeping the STX at normal gain, you can only blame yourself.

The labelling of -300-600ohm is just that, a blanket label that doesn't actually mean anything for the STX. It just means that the STX will unlock all it's potential volume. You aren't doing any harm to headphones with that setting. It's still the same impedance, same amp, same everything, just all if it's volume unlocked. Obviously, don't put it so loud that it will blow the drivers. Just put it at your preferred volume.

It can say High gain 600ohm, there will be 24-50ohm headphones (as an example) that WILL need that setting to achieve proper volume.

PUT IT AT HIGH GAIN. DON'T LOOK AT THE OHM NUMBER. DISREGARD THAT. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Companies like Asus need to stop using ohm ratings as a reference to what kind of gain you should use. There are 600ohm headphones that are easily driven in volume, and there are 24ohm headphones that need MORE power than the 600ohm.

Just to support this, does everyone wonder why an HE-6 needs more power than the likes of a Beyerdynamic T1 or a DT880/990 600 ohms? The HE-6 is incredibly insensitive, thats why. Plus, impedance doesn't really mean much in terms of how hard a headphone is to drive provided the sensitivity is high enough.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #32,008 of 48,583

In the near/far future I'm ONLY interested in wireless headphones for a closed headphone solution. Hell, At this point, I wouldn't mind going all wireless, open and closed. I'd just hope the Wireless headphone has a proper transmitter with a 3.5mm input so I could hook up a virtual surround amp (non-working X7 atm).

I'm in that part of my life where convenience trumps sound quality. Obviously, the best SQ for the money would be nice.

Interesting as that is what happened to me not that long ago.  Hit mid thirties added a toddler, now wires are just inconvenient  Ditched my nicer hardware for a mixamp, sennheiser rs 180s and a desktop mic.  its a great setup and i'm really pleased with it.  however the audiophile in me still rears his ugly head.... i'm regularly trying to decide if i should replace the mixamp with a x7. :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #32,009 of 48,583
I really want to know what the deal is with this DT 770 i 16 Ohm edition. I'm probably gonna head to guitar center later today/tomorrow to check it out again. Anyone heard anything more on this?

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #32,010 of 48,583
Interesting as that is what happened to me not that long ago.  Hit mid thirties added a toddler, now wires are just inconvenient  Ditched my nicer hardware for a mixamp, sennheiser rs 180s and a desktop mic.  its a great setup and i'm really pleased with it.  however the audiophile in me still rears his ugly head.... i'm regularly trying to decide if i should replace the mixamp with a x7. :)

I've got a friend here in Pittsburgh who has been eyeing my X7 setup and wanting to get one for himself, but he is also going to be making use of the speaker amp part of it too. If you aren't going to make use of SBX processing, headphone amp, and speaker amp (for bedroom/office/apartment/something), then you'll probably want to look into Creative's G5. It's not out yet, but if it's as capable as the E5 I've been listening to for the past few days, and able to decode Game Console surround, then the G5 is going to be a very convenient headphone option and a true successor to the Recon3D. Maybe put some of the money saved towards a Bluetooth module to plug into the PS4 for those times you need no wires between TV and you.

Astonish,
I haven't heard the DT770 or DT770i either, so I can't really weigh in. Very attractive looking, but hopefully the treble isn't as fatiguing as the only Beyer I've heard so far, the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back