Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #31,397 of 48,578
  Anyone knows if a mic like V-moda boom mic works with the Fidelio X2?  or Audio Technica ATH MSR7?

Looking for a new pair for gaming,  currently got a modmic on my headphones but I don't like having two wires, looks to DIY :p   I would like wireless and was looking at the skullcandy plyr1 which seems to be decent, but the design and material in it seems abit fragile and after reading comments on amazon that they broke after 6months i dropped that

I'll confirm that the X2 and BoomPro work very well together. I was using that exact pairing last week. Now I have the Philips SHP9500 coming to try solely for gaming purposes.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #31,399 of 48,578
  Isn't the Philips SHP9500 is like $70? comapre to $300 X2

I ordered mine for $50. Yes there's a big price difference. But the X2 was not for me. The way it distributed the weight over the top of my head gave me headaches after long sessions so I sent them back. Audible gains are not worth physical discomfort. Besides I like less boom in my bass and the SHP9500 is said to have a lighter bottom.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #31,400 of 48,578
I ordered mine for $50. Yes there's a big price difference. But the X2 was not for me. The way it distributed the weight over the top of my head gave me headaches after long sessions so I sent them back. Audible gains are not worth physical discomfort. Besides I like less boom in my bass and the SHP9500 is said to have a lighter bottom.

Axel imo you will LOVE the 9500 for gaming. Look up the felt mod if it is too trebly for your taste once it arrives. I personally don't mind it as I had the AD700 before and it isn't nearly as trebly as it was, but others have done it and love it.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #31,401 of 48,578
Hi guys!

I've been reading this thread for two days already and I think I will faint if i read another post :)
I need a bit of help with building a system around my PS4 and a future HD800.

What is the current best solution to get virtual surround out of the PS4 and feed something picky like the HD800s?

I wanted to get a Matrix Mini PRO and Matrix HPA-3B as a balanced DAC/AMP combo for the HD800 as I've listened to it and sound really good. The DAC part has only digital inputs.
It seems that I would need something to get the audio out of the PS4, process it to virtual surround but keep it digital and than further send it via optical to my DAC for proper decoding and than amping. Is that even possible?

Thank you so much for the help !!!

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #31,402 of 48,578
  Hi guys!

I've been reading this thread for two days already and I think I will faint if i read another post :)
I need a bit of help with building a system around my PS4 and a future HD800.

What is the current best solution to get virtual surround out of the PS4 and feed something picky like the HD800s?

I wanted to get a Matrix Mini PRO and Matrix HPA-3B as a balanced DAC/AMP combo for the HD800 as I've listened to it and sound really good. The DAC part has only digital inputs.
It seems that I would need something to get the audio out of the PS4, process it to virtual surround but keep it digital and than further send it via optical to my DAC for proper decoding and than amping. Is that even possible?

Thank you so much for the help !!!

Buy the Sound Blaster X7

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #31,404 of 48,578

cool! and use it how? daisy chain it like this:

PS4 -> SB X7 -> Matrix Mini PRO DAC -> Matrix HPA-3B AMP ?

Would virtual surround work?

Thanks!

X7 is all you need, you dont have to buy the Matrix DAC / Amp.  Just hooked up the X7 via Optical  to your PS4.  And hook up your HD800 to the Headphone Output from the X7.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #31,405 of 48,578

cool! and use it how? daisy chain it like this:

PS4 -> SB X7 -> Matrix Mini PRO DAC -> Matrix HPA-3B AMP ?

Would virtual surround work?

Thanks!

There is a guy here @inseconds99 if I remember correctly who uses HD800 together with the X7 for gaming. Ask him about his feelings.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #31,408 of 48,578
Was thinking of getting a pair of AKG K7XX's for gaming purposes. I already have a TH900 that I use for both gaming and music at the moment. Was thinking that the K7XX might be better for gaming sessions as they are open, lighter, velour padded etc.

What do guys think? Should I just keep my $200 and stick with the TH900 for gaming as well? It's just that deal on Massdrop looks awfully tempting. How do the open AKG's compare with the closed TH900 for gaming purposes?

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #31,409 of 48,578
Was thinking of getting a pair of AKG K7XX's for gaming purposes. I already have a TH900 that I use for both gaming and music at the moment. Was thinking that the K7XX might be better for gaming sessions as they are open, lighter, velour padded etc.

What do guys think? Should I just keep my $200 and stick with the TH900 for gaming as well? It's just that deal on Massdrop looks awfully tempting. How do the open AKG's compare with the closed TH900 for gaming purposes?

Having tried both, I can tell you the K7XX is good, but it's got nothing on the TH900. I can't imagine scaling down and being satisfied. I mean, if you want something that is airy and lightweight, etc., it is all of those things. It's just that the TH900 sounds so much better in every conceivable way.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #31,410 of 48,578
Having tried both, I can tell you the K7XX is good, but it's got nothing on the TH900. I can't imagine scaling down and being satisfied. I mean, if you want something that is airy and lightweight, etc., it is all of those things. It's just that the TH900 sounds so much better in every conceivable way.

Hmmm.. I see.

I also found a pair of HD800's on Craigslist, practically brand new and only used for 20 mins to test out a DAC. They are asking $1000 Canadian which is not bad considering how bad the dollar is. Maybe that would be a better route to go for a good contrasting headphone to pair with the TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back