Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #28,336 of 48,562
I have read that if I go optical out to a dac/amp I could use my sbx "virtual surround" out of my pc sound card and the surround sound will work through the dac. I am not tied to optical, just something I've read about recently. If you have other recommendations that would be awesome. I am going to have the headphones this week and am going to be without dac/amp, not good lol.

I mean, the SB Z DAC is pretty good and you'd see better returns putting the budget solely towards as best an amp you can afford. I got a tube amp which I like, but people commonly recommend things from M-Stage, iCan, Audio GD, Schiit, and Garage1217. Fans of each of those producers are easily found throughout HeadFi.

k612 or ad700x for gaming only use?(cs go) and soundblaster z

CS:GO has unrelentingly sharp treble "crack!" sounds from gunfire, the K612 ought to be less fatiguing (and my overall better recommendation), though the ATH-AD700x has a bit more sense of "Air" and soundstage (both have stronger than average soundstage) and might be good with a bit of EQ reducing the treble.

The other thing about CS:GO is that it's not the most prime example of a game that gives a holographic sense of where exactly people are when you can't see them... and firing your own gun wipes out any small awareness cues. Don't spend too much on headohones for CS:GO, it doesn't take much to hit the audio ceiling of what the game has to offer.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #28,339 of 48,562
Magni 2 and Modi 2, im getting them when i get a good pair of headphones aswell. Most popular headphone for that price range.

You may also consider a vali as I've heard lots of people prefer a tube amp with these cans. I use a fiio E09k with my DT 990s and it sounds pretty good. If u are looking for virtual surround sound u will want a DAC listed on the front page and not a modi.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #28,340 of 48,562
You may also consider a vali as I've heard lots of people prefer a tube amp with these cans. I use a fiio E09k with my DT 990s and it sounds pretty good. If u are looking for virtual surround sound u will want a DAC listed on the front page and not a modi.

For gaming I think solid would be better. I've heard surround sound in a headphone makes it sound terrible and there is no true surround sound

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #28,342 of 48,562
For gaming I think solid would be better. I've heard surround sound in a headphone makes it sound terrible and there is no true surround sound

Did you read the big intro to the guide on the front page?

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #28,343 of 48,562

Magni 2 and Modi 2, im getting them when i get a good pair of headphones aswell. Most popular headphone for that price range.

I am purchasing the HD 700's soon and I can't decide whether the Vail is my better option, I will not be using virtual surround and I will be gaming in straight stereo. Any comments on this? Should I get the Vali over the Magni 2 for Hd 700's? Or would another amp/dac be a better option?

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #28,344 of 48,562
I was able to play some bf4 with my new ad700x headphones this weekend. In comparison to my akg 712 headphones the immersion and sound positioning is better slightly on the 700x's. The 700x's are a little sharper/harsher on the treble and mids. Which I think is what gives it a slight competitive edge over the 712's. The 712 pros are a little smoother and easier on the ears and more comfortable. The ad700's are less comfortable to me because my head is a little wider so it kind pinches down on my ears compared to the 712's. I found myself sliding them around my neckk between map changes..

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #28,345 of 48,562
Search for headset so my wife can't hear my games and I don't have to hear her tv, led me here.

Evidently I am not headset savvy because I am confused big time.  Here is my situation:

Have an alienware pc about 4 years old.  Just bought an Xbox one.  After getting nagged about the game noise in the house, decided I would get a closed wireless headset I could use on both.  The only headset I have ever owned is an alienware pc on ear set I have that are really uncomfortable and I can hear every sound around me which I don't like.  I have a big head and big ears.  I researched and bought the Astro A50's.  Brought it home and connected to my PC and the sound sucked.  Volumme was low.  I have no idea how a "mixer", amp or other add on's work in a system or how to hook them up.  The A50's came with a mixamp (usb, optical to sound card) but evidently didn't do what I needed.  I also don't have a soundcard that supports DDL.  I do have a logitech surround sound system (z550) that is connected to my sound card.  I just bypassed it as the surround sound system connections are to the other jacks in the sound card not the optical port.  I didn't bother to hook the A50's up to the xbox.  I am planning on taking them back anyway because they don't encompass all of my ear.  They sit on my ear lobes (supposed to do this?).  

This has led me to look at the Sennheiser zeros.  Looks like they will fit big head and ears.  They are not wireless, but after looking around, I don't know if I can find a wireless headset that fits my needs.  I wanted wireless because, when I am on the xbox, I am about fourteen feet away from screen.  Of course I am right there on the PC.  Now the next confusion.  The zeros are stereo.  I don't even know if I need stereo or surround.  I play call of duty on the xbox and I read that you should have surround for FPS especially multiplayer.  I play a lot of strategy games on the pc but sometimes play fps.  I may do multi-player on the pc eventually.  So now I don't know what to do.  Hopefully I can get some clarity from you guys.

so, some more input sought:

Can I get a set that will work on both systems?  What components do I need to connect to each system i.e. mixer, amp etc?  Wondering if I'll need the same extras with xbox as I would need with the PC.
If i can't get a set up for both systems, then what is recommended?
Is wireless not a good idea?
Should I be looking at an alternative set up like a headphone, mic, amp etc?
Seems like i need closed headset in my situation?
How about the stereo vs surround on pc and xbox? 
Remember I have big head and ears.

I don't mind spending a little more than I paid for the A50's ($300) but I don't want to waste money.  Especially if I have to get different stuff for the PC and the xbox.   

Geez, I just wanted to play games in peace, didn't know it was this involved.  Tell me if it would just be easier to have my wife yelling at me all of the time.  Ha Ha.

Thanks,
Dan

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #28,346 of 48,562
Depends what you using it for and if you want a tube or a solid if you want a solid get the modi 2 uber which is a upgraded version of modi 2 but I think you need to fit it yourself. So you will probably need someone who has experience with taking amps apart.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #28,348 of 48,562
Depends what you using it for and if you want a tube or a solid if you want a solid get the modi 2 uber which is a upgraded version of modi 2 but I think you need to fit it yourself. So you will probably need someone who has experience with taking amps apart.

Not sure if serious...

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #28,349 of 48,562
I have recently returned my Sennheiser G4me One and Astro Mixamp because I was just not satisfied with the quality of either. I tried hooking up the headset to a Schiit Magni and still was not impressed. I want a cinematic experience and honestly the Surround Sound I was not impressed with. The G4me One was not impressive at all, it just seemed extremely flat and I dont see how it gave me any better directional accuracy when hooked to the Mixamp. I want something that will give me a real cinematic experience that when I hear it will drop my Jaw.

I am not incredibly into competitive first person shooters, I mostly play Destiny ATM. What is out there that actually has some bass and still offers the detail I require for directional accuracy. Like I said previously, I really dont care about surround sound as it has never really impressed me at all. Although I was looking at getting the TB Elite 800 and yes I know everyone here hates gaming headsets but I need something with Mic Monitoring.

Any direction would be appreciated!

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #28,350 of 48,562
When you have the Turtle Beach Elite 800, tells us if it give you a better experience than your previous setup.

I truly hope the TB 800 are in this level of demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back