Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #27,437 of 48,578
Hey guys, I apologize if this has been asked before, but which do you feel is better for gaming, the Fidelio X2 or the AKG K712? I'll be using the headphones exclusively for gaming and I do a mix of casual and competitive play so I want a headphone with a large and detailed soundstage but also be fun and immersive. If there are any headphones you feel are better than the ones I suggested, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd like to stay under $400 for the headphones.

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #27,438 of 48,578
I am using the Sennheiser Game One headphones from a Mixamp Pro 2013 out of my ps4. I notice when watching Game of Thrones that the deep bass in big actions scenes, or even during the opening song, sound distorted. Is it possible these headphones are simply unable to created the lowest frequencies that this soundtrack presents? I thought it was a amplification issue and attached my Magni into the chain but the problem persists. Is this a mixamp issue? I do not seem to experience this issue listening to music without the mixamp. Can anyone suggest what might be happening?

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #27,439 of 48,578
Hey guys, I apologize if this has been asked before, but which do you feel is better for gaming, the Fidelio X2 or the AKG K712? I'll be using the headphones exclusively for gaming and I do a mix of casual and competitive play so I want a headphone with a large and detailed soundstage but also be fun and immersive. If there are any headphones you feel are better than the ones I suggested, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd like to stay under $400 for the headphones.

Large and detailed soundstage is one of the X2's weaknesses, so the K712 might be your best bet.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #27,440 of 48,578
  I am using the Sennheiser Game One headphones from a Mixamp Pro 2013 out of my ps4. I notice when watching Game of Thrones that the deep bass in big actions scenes, or even during the opening song, sound distorted. Is it possible these headphones are simply unable to created the lowest frequencies that this soundtrack presents? I thought it was a amplification issue and attached my Magni into the chain but the problem persists. Is this a mixamp issue? I do not seem to experience this issue listening to music without the mixamp. Can anyone suggest what might be happening?

Pretty sure it is the mixamp making the sound distorted. It rolls off the bass at low frequencies I believe. Try taking the mixamp out of the chain (you will only be getting stereo, but can make sure it is the mixamp causing it).

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #27,441 of 48,578
What should in game audio settings be set to when using the Astro mixamp? Some games have settings for stereo or surround or in the case of the Last of Us Remastered there are stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 headseat options. I wasn't sure if if should always be set to stereo since the mixamp is doing the surround processing.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #27,442 of 48,578

Pretty sure it is the mixamp making the sound distorted. It rolls off the bass at low frequencies I believe. Try taking the mixamp out of the chain (you will only be getting stereo, but can make sure it is the mixamp causing it).

I didn't know the mixamp did that. I will try it through my receiver tonight to compare. Thanks for the reply. Anyone know of a dolby headphone dac that outputs the full frequency of signal? Mixamp is nice for chatting during games, but I would spring for another dac that doesn't handle chat but doesn't roll off the bass for movies. Maybe I need to save up for the X7?

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #27,443 of 48,578
unfortunately only the x7 will deliver

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #27,444 of 48,578
I got my DSS today but no mic support. Is there a way to get my Boom Pro Mic working with DSS? If not, would it work with the Mixamp Pro?

If you want to use both a DSS and a BoomPro, you have to wire chat audio from your controller around the DSS and recombine it to one Jack. It's a pain.
The Mixamp, yes you can.

Personally, I just used a separate USB mic, and then the DSS gets all audio (Game and Chat). Fewest adapters and setup issues.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #27,445 of 48,578
If you want to use both a DSS and a BoomPro, you have to wire chat audio from your controller around the DSS and recombine it to one Jack. It's a pain.
The Mixamp, yes you can.

Personally, I just used a separate USB mic, and then the DSS gets all audio (Game and Chat). Fewest adapters and setup issues.

I think I'll just get the Mixamp Pro then. That won't require any adaptors right? Could I use the Mixamp 5.8 and get all of the functionality/quality of the Mixamp Pro but just in a wireless form?

But to keep an open mind, what USB mic do you use? I assume it doesn't attach to your headphones and so you have to stay within its range. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #27,449 of 48,578
I'm just now realizing I've had my SRH1540 for over a year, now. It's a wonderful closed headphone that I highly recommend!

Edit: 13 months to be exact. *personal record*

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #27,450 of 48,578
Bummer, I was seriously considering the X2 but it might not be what I was hoping for. Change is Good, are there any other headphones you would recommend? I saw that you like the SRH1540, how do they perform for gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back