Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #27,466 of 48,583

Even with a 10 ohms of output?

If so, then a Sound Blaster ZxR also drives K712 Pro appropriately, right (sorry for bringing PC issue here)?

Yes, it should. My cheap laptop soundcard can drive both my Grado SR60e and my HD700.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #27,467 of 48,583

Yes, it should. My cheap laptop soundcard can drive both my Grado SR60e and my HD700.

While I agree that a cheap laptop sound card can indeed allow the HD 700 to make sound, I highly doubt it's actually driving them properly. My onboard sound in my MBP isn't as good as my DAC/amp, and Macs tend to have better stock sound than other laptops.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #27,468 of 48,583

While I agree that a cheap laptop sound card can indeed allow the HD 700 to make sound, I highly doubt it's actually driving them properly. My onboard sound in my MBP isn't as good as my DAC/amp, and Macs tend to have better stock sound than other laptops.

I wouldn't bet money on an actual legit AB test; but either way, the X7 will surely do the job for the AKGs, or would you contend that?

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #27,469 of 48,583
Waiting for Creative to give us a cheaper X7 alternative without the speaker section. Literally the same device without that, for maybe $150 less.

Whether that will happen is a whole different matter... I guess I can't wait months to find out 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Well, for some god-knows-why reason Creative removed my country from the Pan-Europe shipping destinations... It was there 3 days ago, now it ain't.
That's just greeeeeeat...

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #27,470 of 48,583
I have some questions about the Mixamp Pro 2014.

1) Is the Core Mode EQ setting the same sound output as the Mixamp Pro 2011?

2) What is the ASTRO Mode EQ setting?

3) Which EQ setting(s) - Pro, Media, ASTRO, Core - do you think would be best for sports games and racing games?

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #27,471 of 48,583
  I have some questions about the Mixamp Pro 2014.

1) Is the Core Mode EQ setting the same sound output as the Mixamp Pro 2011?

2) What is the ASTRO Mode EQ setting?

3) Which EQ setting(s) - Pro, Media, ASTRO, Core - do you think would be best for sports games and racing games?

I'm not sure, I don't have the 2014.  But this might help:  http://bit.ly/1yUH6va

Regarding which is best, I'd say try them all and decide for yourself.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #27,472 of 48,583
Pro is emphasized treble and less bass to identify footsteps, media is emphasized bass and voices for movies, core is straight 5.1 signal, and Astro is like pro but emphasized chat for lan parties. I like core for everything and pro for competitive gaming. The media makes bass too much and the bass roll off the mixamp has is much too evidence that with media in my opinion.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #27,473 of 48,583
I am in the market for a wireless headset.  Looking at the Astro A50, Elite 800 and Steel Series H.  I have ruled out the Plyr 1 due to friends and other internet reviews stating quality is very sub-par.  I take care of my things but I just don't want to deal with it. Are there any other wireless headset options I should be considering?  Or any of these that stand out over the others?

I know some of you may point me to the mixamps and bring your own headphone options.  I may consider that if the quality doesn't live up to my expectations from above, but I do want to give the pure wifi option a shot and return if I don't like.  I am used to gaming with my PC 360s with Dolby Headphone on my PC so I have somewhat high standards.  Kinda just want to have a cords free experience on the couch while the family is sleeping or to tune them out during the day :) Definitely regret selling my MixAmp 5.8... just always figured there would be better options down the road if I decided to console game again.  Guess I was wrong :frowning2:

In summary, what is the consensus here for best Wireless Headset?

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #27,474 of 48,583
Waiting for Creative to give us a cheaper X7 alternative without the speaker section. Literally the same device without that, for maybe $150 less.

That is something I'd be interested in.

So for the same price as the ZxR intro MSRP, you want to add to a ZxR: a power supply, dolby decoding, enclosure, and internal memory to store settings, not to mention "extra" luxury and usability features like headphone stand, USB Host Mode (MFi-Certified and some Androids), room calibration for (powered) speakers, two-device Bluetooth (for a pair of speakers/headphones, or a smart device for audio source and app to control sound and inputs/outputs), and the extra features that they both already share? Not going to happen. Not even if you take out the "extras." Creative MAY make another Recon3D-level device, but I doubt it'll have optical output, probably a lower grade DAC and amp than X7.

Wait, so if lets say I buy a 5.1 speaker system, its going to come with everything it needs unless you get the speakers by themselves. So this will work for that too?
Then again... I don't think I will need 5.1 next to my computer. Hmm... oop sorry.. thinking out loud again.

The X7 has a power amplifier for two speakers (front L/R), the other ports are for self-powered speakers or connection to other power amps.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #27,475 of 48,583
They did well with the Recon USB. Now just a device like that with a better amp and SBX. Literally, a new Recon. The Recon had an impressive list of features for cheap. Don't see why a new version with a better amp and SBX would make it improbable to you. They could probably sell a new Recon with SBX for a similar price of around $100. Instead of the so-so internal amp, a better/stronger one, and sell it for $200-$250.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #27,477 of 48,583
That is still not what we are asking for. We're looking for a bridge between Recon/Mixamp and the X7.

And is that new Recon a standalone? Doesn't look like it. Looks like an A50 type where you can't use your own headphones, meaning worthless to us here.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #27,478 of 48,583
It's exactly the same old Recon3D USB (now with SBX logo), they'd discontinued to sell it standalone only.
The ext. card is the add-on wifi transmitter for the wireless headset.
recon3d-4s.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2011/10/24/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-review/1
---
UPDATE:
Watch their promo video at 0:56 >
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7HABSLVLE [/VIDEO]

screenshot with jacks description:
14aasg3.jpg

Recon3D SBX review:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGISsB7iL4Q[/video]

Proog of rebranding:
Recon3D USB CORE3D chip CA0136, guy missread 8 from bit-tech:
recon3d-8b.jpg

Better pic:
13z9085.jpg

http://www.soomal.com/pic/10100019773.htm

SB-Axx1 chip CA0136:
creative-sound-blaster-axx-sbx-20-custom-pc-review-15-588x392.jpg
First chip we see here is the Creative CA0136, which presumably is what Creative is now calling the SB-Axx1 sound processor. If this chip looks familiar, that’s because it’s 100% identical to the Sound Core 3D sound processor being used on the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D USB. As far as I can tell, Creative’s new SB-Axx1 is just a straight rebrand of the Sound Core 3D.

http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/creative-sound-blaster-axx-sbx-10-sbx-20-review/15614/4/

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #27,479 of 48,583
OK... That link is of the OLD one. I wanna see a NEW one, as a standalone. And with a headphone jack.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #27,480 of 48,583
Well, I, for one, don't need all those features on the X7. It will be overkill, for me, so there is that. If it will be improbable for a company to make something like MLE just asked for, then I'll be holding on to my 5.8 until it craps out on me. And then, I'll still go for the cheaper devices.

It's not like one can properly critique sound, anyway, when blowing schiit up on BF4 or raiding on Destiny. Too much going on for one to do so.

But, for those who play nothing but single player and have their PC, console, and speakers on the same setup, I can see why they praise it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back