Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #26,371 of 48,562
Been using the boompro a lot with the ps4 lately, and everyone says I sound fine. Only one guy says he barely hears me, but I'm sure his Mixamp settings are all wrong.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #26,372 of 48,562
Been using the boompro a lot with the ps4 lately, and everyone says I sound fine. Only one guy says he barely hears me, but I'm sure his Mixamp settings are all wrong.

You are running 5.8 or 2011 or 2013?

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #26,374 of 48,562
Has anyone noticed how BF4 sound has been upgraded? in terms of positional audio and depth?

I noticed it and later on saw videos on youtube that it is indeed true :)

it finally doesnt sound all cluttered up like it use to. I mean, Im sure if your doing Operation Metro, if you are in a big group blowing stuff up...positional audio may be pointless.

but in bigger maps and more open fields, positional audio should be improved.

Just saying so you guys can try and hear it for yourselves and comment about it.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #26,375 of 48,562
In a word: No.

I can't see if your signature or what gear you have, but the Q701 is easily more capable than the HD598 in soundstage. If you don't yet, you should feed the Q with a (steady diet of) surround processor like a DSS or Mixamp AND ALSO a good desktop-class amp like a Magni or Project Starlight (I think tube amps in particular help create a natural sense of "space" and add musicality/energy). You should get good sound with a Q plugged into a surround processor directly, but if you want "more" soundstage and more distinctly arranged placement, trust me and the Q701 thread that this headphone is one of the top best soundstage headphones you can get, period. Sure, the $1500 HD800 is better, but you also need to amp that headphone to hear it's full capabilities.

I will say it again: Q701 and others like it sound very good even on a humble setup, but like others of it's quality-level you've basically reached bang-for-buck endgame and further upgrades should be focused on your audio chain. Sure, you can get more expensive headphones, but you'll never be able to justify the gain from the price difference except as a luxury, and you'll need a high-grade system to back it up anyway.

I have the Mixamp plus little dot MK4 tube amp.

I found the K701 and K 702 to have this problem. Wide at the sides but lacking depth even with Dolby headphone on. My MA900 and HD555 do a better job at an out of head stage than the Qs.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #26,377 of 48,562
not sure if it's a problem specific to the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 that I have :/

the Boompro works fine directly plugged to the DS4...

I mean... at this point it seems pretty clear that there's something wrong with your Boompro.  You've been talking about it for a week and nobody else is having any of the problems you've mentioned.  

Get a cheap $5 mic off Amazon and test it with your Mixamp and you'll know in about 5 seconds if the problem is your Boompro or Mixamp.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #26,379 of 48,562
I'm starting my Bloodborne session right now. I'll post some feedback when 'm done (it's time limited)

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #26,380 of 48,562
Okay. Here it goes:

Bloodborne Alpha first impressions.

At first it's mostly familiar. If you've ever played any of the Souls games, you'll feel right at home. I'll go over quickly what stayed the same compared to the previous games then I'll go over new and exciting stuff.

1. Controls - mostly the same with one minor (but very impactful difference, more on that later) difference. R1 R2 L1 L2 are used for right hand/left hand attacks X to interact, O to dodge/sprint, Square to use equipped item.
  2. Exploration. The level I played (the same one as Gamescom demo) was as multilayered as levels in previous games. Various shortcuts and interconnecting paths makes the player appreciate the level design. It's not only sophisticated but it adds to the challenge (The player starts over after death so the shortcuts are the only way of avoiding doing the same thing over and over again). Still, nothing new to the Souls vets.
  3. Combat - One very impactful difference, aside from that nothing new. Stamina management, dodging, strong and fast attacks are all back. Little to no change here aside from improved animation and the fact that the player now has the access to guns (again, more on that later)
  4. Items - white orbs of light that the player interacts with to obtain items. Sounds familiar? Of course it does, copy&paste from previous games.

Okay, time for the stuff that's new to Bloodborne, and there are a few things.

1. Graphics - This game is beautiful. Something that couldn't be said about Demon's Souls and console version of Dark Souls 1 which looked mediocre. Graphics are something every gamer pays attention to, even if some of them do not admit it. Not a problem here as Bloodborne looks ridiculously good. Full 1080p, great antialiasing (definitely oversampled and not FXAA), amazing model and texture quality. Bloodborne really is a looker. Framerate was mostly stable 30fps with a few stutters but it's an alpha version and I'm sure From Software will iron it out before release.
  2. Design. Another masterfully done part of this game. Forget gritty medieval setting of previous games. Bloodborne is all about victorian England. Castles and dungeons have been replaced with cobbled streets of some twisted version of London. Everything looks abandoned and decayed like a city that suffers from a plague. Buildings are grim and unwelcoming, bonfires are lit in the middle of the streets and every surface looks like it's covered in a thin layer of grease. That can also be said about the enemies. No more demons in armor with swords and shields. Demons in Bloodborne wear trenchcoats, tophats and fight with rakes and pitchforks. Some of them are dressed as common villagers, others look more sophisticated, dressed in suits they attack the player relentlessly. Few of them wield actual weapons and those that do, use sabres (which were still in use in 19 century) instead of swords. The same design philosophy applies to the main character who looks like a cross between Abraham Van Helsing, a Renessaince plague doctor and Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed (albeit with a bigger hat).
  3. Guns. Yup, actual guns. That use bullets. They take the secondary weapon slot and are fired at the nearest enemy (when autotargeting is on) or just in front of the player. Because guns in 19th century weren't that reliable they can't be used as a spam weapon. Just think of them as cooler looking spells. Something that aids You in combat but not the main weapon at least not in the section I played.
  4. Weapon morphing. For that feature alone I'd buy that game. People who've seen the Gamescom demo know what I'm talking about. Every primary weapon has two forms, and the player is free to switch them as he sees fit. In gamescom demo the dev was using something akin to a razor that could be unfolded to create two handed weapon with lower speed but greater reach or used as a one handed sword-like thing. Bloodborne starts out with four characters to pick from and each of them has a different primary weapon.
    There is also a one handed sword with a striking face of a hammer kept on the player's back which can be connected together to form a heavy hitting blunt weapon, and a one-handed axe which can be extended into a halberd.

5. The cool thing about weapon morphing is that the player can switch between playstyles on the go, quickly going from agile to tanky character. It also looks cool as hell. And the player can switch between them in the middle of a combo. That is not a typo. By pressing L1 (morphing) during an attack chain, the player character changes his weapon in the middle of the attack and continues his combo with the second form. Entire system is very similar to the weapon switching in the latest Devil May Cry series. 
  6. Audio. I played the game in Dolby Headphone and, well, it's there. The bonfires, the enemies, the obstacles, it all can be placed by the player around him. As far as the positioning gos it's good. Not Destiny or Call of Duty good but good. Nevertheless, the sound itself was great.
  7. Difficulty level. Well, it's a From Software made game, whatdid you expect? Yes, it's merciless and it makes you pay for your mistakes but it's fair to the player. No homing missile style ******** no bigger than life hitboxes or unavoidable attacks. Exactly like the previous installments. One thing I did find rather weird and out of place was the amount of healing potions (now with their own separate button, Triangle) and bullets I found. I never actually ran out of bullets in spite of the fact that I used my shotgun fairly often, and I always had a potion just in case. Not something to be bothered about but kinda distracting from the experience.

Sorry for my bad writing, that is not something I do often. Feel free to share Your thoughts.

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #26,382 of 48,562
So after Tyll's Fidelio X2 review, who of you owners will make the jump? 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #26,383 of 48,562
  So after Tyll's Fidelio X2 review, who of you owners will make the jump? 
evil_smiley.gif

Wow, that's a pretty hard core recommendation from Tyll.  If I hadn't just bought a $300 headphone, I'd certainly consider it.  I still might if I can get my hands on B-stock/openbox/etc.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #26,384 of 48,562
Noticably better bass, better soundstage, treble detail etc. Seems Philips has been following head-fi very well. 

This things need to be proven though by the community as well. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #26,385 of 48,562
  Noticably better bass, better soundstage, treble detail etc. Seems Philips has been following head-fi very well. 

This things need to be proven though by the community as well. 

Not to mention removable pads and a better cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back