Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #26,341 of 48,578
Hmm. For me energetic midrange is kinds important. For that reason I for instance preferred the MA900/K612 to the X1 as they were simply too smooth and subdued relative to the other two.
For me a headphone has to be relatively even across the whole spectrum and have sufficient energy in the midrange. I hate overblown bass (the X1 is not like that IMO) or super edgy treble.
The K612 is very close and is probably my recommendation for anyone looking for an all-rounder, followed by the MA900, each having its pros and cons. The X1 is more bassy and less balanced than the two but it has the best treble and deepest and punchiest bass IMO.

As for now, the 560 is currently my favorite all-round headphone. Even sounding, great extension, sufficient tight as and very extended bass, if a bit punch soft at times. Exquisite imaging... Although it does not have the soundstage awesomeness of a K612 (what planar does?) it is spacious enough, especially coupled with the great imaging.
As a pure gaming headphone, I probably wouldn't recommend it though I'd give it an 8+ for competitive and immersion... There are better strictly gaming headphones and the K612 and MA900 are comparable if noticeably less accurate and refined.
The MA900 is more immerssive and bigger soundstage wise, while the K612 is less or about as fun but wins competitive wise due to great soundstage. The X1 is the most fun but least competitive of the bunch but still not too shabby.
The greatest advantage all have over the 560 is soundstage size but the 560 manages to portray the cues better, more speaker like in the space, if limited scale wise, with great imaging and cue accuracy.
With music, the 560 easily outshines the three though they still hold out respectively. Same with movies with a more consistent and balanced experience, like with games.
So purely for games no, but as an all-rounder, they're a great headphone and although expensive, they compete with some headphones twice the price. HiFiMAN being very competitive in general :)
My 2c.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #26,342 of 48,578

Interesting.  I wonder what the Ultrasone 900Pro sounds like if you think the X1 isn't "fun".  Everything I've read about the AD700 says it's got almost no bass.  My experience with the X1 is that it has so much bass that it muddies up the mids.  The Ultrasone must shake your eyeballs in your skull to make the X1 not seem "fun".

Well maybe im a little over doing, i just expected to be as fun as Ultrasone 900pro but with better positional and more accurate, you get the last two, but the Ultrasone 900Pro for me simply makes it much more enjoyable, music and games, its just the sound richer and fuller, not thin and accurate.... all in audio is extremly subjective, so take my comments with a grain of salt, im also used of very good subs, atm i own a PSA XS15SE on my pc and XS30SE on my HT, while i dont expect heaphones to be as powerful, i just simply miss that kinda omp that threaters with dedicated sub give you, something that not all look, but for sure out of all my heatphones that i own, the Ultrasone 900pro is the best into giving me a similar experience.

Either way im not bashing the X1 at all, ill be using them for gaming, specially for destiny on PS4, but im a little disappointed, as for the first time i though there is a open headphone that will give me a fun experience... and its better than most, but not as fun as i would liked, and at my age FUN is getting more important than competitive.

Quote:
Omg have you ever heard a Sony XB500?
When you first put them on, you'll think "oh pleather but actually pretty soft." Start music and you'll laugh for three seconds but then go "GWUOOOOOOOOOOH!"

'‘O~O’`

If i could find them at $50 like they used to retail, i would give a try.... but now they seem almost twice as much.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #26,343 of 48,578
That Sony headphone was like... ALL BASS. All the time. And everything else was super recessed. Not detailed, no soundstage, not immersive, just BASS. I got through a song and a half or something like 5 minutes because it's simply too much, the most extremely colored headphone I've ever heard.

Might be fun for like $15-$20 to pass it around at parties and see people's reactions, but it's more like a status symbol or gimmick than actually something for listening to music. I'd bet that even an ardent basshead wouldn't listen for long periods of time (like one CD), it's just SO MUCH!

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #26,344 of 48,578
  Take the AD 700 if you have not enough money to buy the Q701. Just my opinion.

The way this discussion takes is not that nice. Take a beer and cheers, skoal :D Prost all together!

I agree.  Some of the comments from the regulars are way out of line.  Shame on you, guys.  You haven't been this bad since the first time I showed up in the thread and you almost chased me away.

That said, obviously they have a point.  They're just going about showing it in a bad way.  When someone asks the same question for the 4th time, just quote them the answer again and move along.  Or ignore it and get on with your life.  No need to be a smarmy ******* about it.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #26,345 of 48,578
If people take what I say as not kindly and overboard, I hate to see how they would react to the real world.

With that said, I'll just refrain from posting anymore Foghorn Leghorn comments. I can play nice, sometimes :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #26,346 of 48,578
my X1, BoomPro and Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 finally arrived.

some thoughts
(1) Philip Fidelio X1 is FANTASTIC! :D love the new details I'm hearing! tried it both on my PS4 and my PC (via the Audinst HUD-MX1) - sounds really good

(2) for all the Audio Mix settings in-game in PS4 (e.g. inFamous SS, First Light, and The Last of Us) do we choose Home Theater or Headphones?

(3) Mixamp Pro 2013 is a disappointment - I don't know what's wrong with it but I can't seem to set up my BoomPro properly with it. 
(i) With the X1 and BoomPro plugged into the Mixamp, I'm getting electric shocks from the Boompro mic itself when it brushes my cheek (I tried the Boompro on my Note3, no such issue!)
(ii) I can't seem to get the PS4 to recognise my voice commands (e.g. "PlayStation") - When the PS4 catches the command, it can't understand as it is too loud. I turn down the Microphone level, the PS4 can't catch the command at all. I tried testing the mic via PS4 Twitch stream, it is way too loud as well.

any suggestions on how to exactly configure my Mixamp? I updated it to the latest firmware as well

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #26,347 of 48,578
The Pro 900 is quiye literally unlike any other. That thing is snappy as hell, but strooooong. The vibrations are a sensation that no other mid bassy headphones can emulate, IMHO. Yes, no headphone that's bassy can match the Pro 900 in that regard. Problen with the Pro 900 is everything else. Recessed mids, jagged, sibilant treble that is quite unnatural. In the case of the Pro 900, Dolby Headphone's general warmth is quite beneficial to the Pro 900, which is a big reason why they work so well together. Other than that, the Pro 900 is pretty flawed, and will definitely always be love/hate. That bass though, so good.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #26,348 of 48,578
The Pro 900 is quiye literally unlike any other. That thing is snappy as hell, but strooooong. The vibrations are a sensation that no other mid bassy headphones can emulate, IMHO. Yes, no headphone that's bassy can match the Pro 900 in that regard. Problen with the Pro 900 is everything else. Recessed mids, jagged, sibilant treble that is quite unnatural. In the case of the Pro 900, Dolby Headphone's general warmth is quite beneficial to the Pro 900, which is a big reason why they work so well together. Other than that, the Pro 900 is pretty flawed, and will definitely always be love/hate. That bass though, so good.

I agree with you on your statements on the Ultrasone 900pro, and im thankful for your review, as you were the main reason i bought it, and been enjoying them, really quiet unique heaphone that i personally enjoy, but its not for everyone, just fits right into what i like.  Im hopping X1 gets better once i get the Mixamp 2011, while they are still fine, i want it to be a little more fun, thats all.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #26,349 of 48,578
The Signature DJ is the Pro 900 done fffff right.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #26,351 of 48,578
  http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

^^
is this DAC+AMP
or just DAC ?

and i am going to use it with DT 990 PRO

is It capable of feeding to the fullest ?

Thanks

That seems like a question for the D1 thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #26,352 of 48,578
  my X1, BoomPro and Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 finally arrived.

some thoughts
(1) Philip Fidelio X1 is FANTASTIC! :D love the new details I'm hearing! tried it both on my PS4 and my PC (via the Audinst HUD-MX1) - sounds really good

(2) for all the Audio Mix settings in-game in PS4 (e.g. inFamous SS, First Light, and The Last of Us) do we choose Home Theater or Headphones?

(3) Mixamp Pro 2013 is a disappointment - I don't know what's wrong with it but I can't seem to set up my BoomPro properly with it. 
(i) With the X1 and BoomPro plugged into the Mixamp, I'm getting electric shocks from the Boompro mic itself when it brushes my cheek (I tried the Boompro on my Note3, no such issue!)
(ii) I can't seem to get the PS4 to recognise my voice commands (e.g. "PlayStation") - When the PS4 catches the command, it can't understand as it is too loud. I turn down the Microphone level, the PS4 can't catch the command at all. I tried testing the mic via PS4 Twitch stream, it is way too loud as well.

any suggestions on how to exactly configure my Mixamp? I updated it to the latest firmware as well

for the new page + I did more test,

the X1 + BoomPro work perfectly fine when plugged directly to the DS4. the BoomPro doesn't seem that good... it catches all the noise/sound from my fan.. whereas that doesn't happen with the Sony Wireless PULSE Elite... :/

and no matter what I do (turned down microphone volume all the way to low on PS4) the BoomPro when plugged into my Astro Mixamp is just insanely loud that the PS4 can't recognize any commands and on Streams - it's just insane..

any suggestions?

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #26,353 of 48,578
I just got this guy in the mail....sounds amazing, very comfortable and has a condenser Mic...you guys should check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-Multimedia-Digital-Microphone/dp/B001BYOY42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412094652&sr=8-1&keywords=mmx+2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back