Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #26,401 of 48,565
I loved the X1. Most of the time, the bass didn't bother me. But you know ears change in sensitivity throughout the day, and there were times when I just couldn't wear the X1 for too long.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #26,402 of 48,565
I loved the X1. Most of the time, the bass didn't bother me. But you know ears change in sensitivity throughout the day, and there were times when I just couldn't wear the X1 for too long.

I think my only complain about the x1 at first was that it would get hot after an hour of being on my head. But I guess, after that, if my games were getting interesting...i would forget about it.

This was initially in the beginning...afterwards, I would say the pads started to get form around my ears, that it didnt get quite hot anymore and felt more ergonomic in a way.

Compared to other headphones that i have (MA900, M50, PC350SE (headset)), the X1 was heavier but was usually noticable at first.....

After a while, it was just forgotten....unless i played more than 3 hours straight...which I really dont do anymore lol

Bass to me, never gets fatiguing, well the X1 bass at least but im sure any more or much more bass and I would get tired of it...

Overall, the X1 sound signature was just great for me, almost perfect for my taste at least. The X2 without a doubt will give me the same plus a bit more, especially since Im not really wasting alot of money for them (sold my x1 for 200 a few hours ago) So I would say that the 130 additional dollars I will pay may seem to be worthy for an upgrade for what the X2 offers.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #26,403 of 48,565
Again, its not about quantity of bass that bothers me. The X1 has basically my ideal amount. Its about the way it hit my ears personally.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #26,404 of 48,565
Again, its not about quantity of bass that bothers me. The X1 has basically my ideal amount. Its about the way it hit my ears personally.

Sorry, I meant to say it the way you said it...the way it hits, for me is good. I cant really complain, personally.

Sorry, typing this on my phone while walking around barnes and nobles with my cousin and uncle, had me distracted most of the time lol.

And the girls... :p

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #26,405 of 48,565
To me, the two biggest flaws with the X1 were the lack of bass control and the recessed mids.  Good amping helped the bass control but those mids... they weren't bad, but side by side with the Q's, it was just bad.  What I was looking for at the time was something with the best of both those headphones.  When I did the bass mod on the Q, it made the decision easy.

I wonder if the X2 is going to be that best of both that I wanted...

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #26,406 of 48,565
Bassy headphones with sparkly treble will always have recessed mids. Thats the definition of recessed. I haven't heard amodded Q, but if its bassy and mid rich, then the treble ain't gonna be sparkly like on the X1.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #26,407 of 48,565

Hey Stillhart,

I bought the Q701 one week ago. When I was not gaming I had them on the Amp/MP3 Player to burn in (~110 hrs).
I did the Bassmod too, but somehow I feel, that the treble is now to aggressive and there is a little bit of increased graining (I think that's what it added too). Do you have the same experience? Maybe it will get better with the burn in, but if not I lost my chance to give them back.
At the moment I think about to send them back and save some money to take the X2.
On the other hand they seem to be a great mod platform, but for that I have to spend more money (ear pads, another Amp).

What`s your opinion?

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #26,411 of 48,565

Hey Stillhart,

I bought the Q701 one week ago. When I was not gaming I had them on the Amp/MP3 Player to burn in (~110 hrs).
I did the Bassmod too, but somehow I feel, that the treble is now to aggressive and there is a little bit of increased graining (I think that's what it added too). Do you have the same experience? Maybe it will get better with the burn in, but if not I lost my chance to give them back.
At the moment I think about to send them back and save some money to take the X2.
On the other hand they seem to be a great mod platform, but for that I have to spend more money (ear pads, another Amp).

What`s your opinion?

If you did the bass mod, the treble should be less aggressive, not more.  What amp are you using?  Something dark/warm will pair really well with the Q to tame the treble.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #26,413 of 48,565
BigBadWulf,
In general, the Q701 treble is better than cheap headphones when just plugged into a DAP, but I've found it to be much better controlled and unfatiguing once connected to a proper desktop amp. It's not about fixing a headphone's flaws... There's basically two types of headphones, ones that are really efficient and are designed to "max out" on a DAP or smartphone, and ones that probably have enough volume near the top of a DAP's limit but scale up in finess and control and dynamics once fed an "inefficient" amount of energy and headroom. Efficient headphones could sound more lively and dynamic too if fed that much energy, the problem is they would be too loud and distort at the same level as the better dampened headphones.

The AKG K/Q70x series are funny because their impedance is higher but relatively not that high, and their sensitivity is pretty low. So it's easier to get them loud enough, but an ideal amping situation is in the ability of an amp to deliver more current (to meet the sensitivity needs) while requiring only a little more voltage (to get enough volume to need the Ohm resistance needs). It'd doable, particularly with modern solid-state amps since tube amps have very high voltage output (which is why when I suggest tube amps, I usually suggest tube hybrids because they have the tube sound/tuning but a SS amp component to bolster the current output).

V= I * R

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #26,414 of 48,565
mmmm....

I know some of us are wanting to buy the X2, as soon as it is released but something came to my mind during my lunch hour at work today...

Why buy it right away when I could wait a month or 2 months and let the price drop.

CCC shows that the X1 had a similar drop in price within a month or a month and a half until it actually stayed around the 300 dollar mark.

the X1 price started to fluctuate alot after about or between 2 to 5 months after its release date, dropping to around the 250-260 dollar mark.

I would suggest to just wait it out a bit longer. I personally will hold out, even though my X1s have a new owner and I do miss them much so....

Its hard to game without out them :frowning2:.

I know this thread is more about talking about the sound of headphones and virtual surround sound in general but I just wanted to let you guys know to....DO ALOT OF RESEARCH, PRICE WISE, PERFORMANCE WISE...ETC ETC.

Im very picky about prices sometimes...or most of the time lol

But since Black Friday is around the corner, well....its still like 2 months or less away but....

Usually alot of sites have great deals during Black Friday for headphones in general....

Except for the killer deal that happen on Jan 22 of this year...the X1 at 150 bucks...

But im sure that deal can strike again, since X2 will be available soon on amazon.

In other words....for those that were already been thinking about purchasing the X1, might as well hold out, especially if you are on a budget. The X1 at 150 or even up to 200....I feel like its a good price for what it offers. I mean, at that price, you really cant go wrong, especially if you are a newbie (like me) and wanting to learn more about this audiophile world which might hurt your wallet, even if you try to save by finding good deals on headphones lol

The X2, i would say, if you have the extra money to go up to 300, then I really cant help you there because I guess when a new headphone is released, it really just depends on you if you really want to spend that much money to try something new. Especially if you are always saying like "Yes, NO, Yes, No....ok I will....no I wont" because if you hesitate alot and you are not sure you are going to like it, then it will become a hit or miss kind of thing....of course, theres the 30 day return policy but some people for some reason forget to keep track of time that sometimes that 30 day window is gone and you cant return it anymore....

But since I sold my x1 yesterday, pretty much what I got back what I paid for it when I bought it....I should buy the x2, well feel like I should buy since the reviews i have read say it is better than the x1 and having to listen to the x1 for over 6 months, I can say that i will just be paying the price difference for that "upgrade" for better sound.

Pheeew lol

I know its long but it was just thinking about this for a good hour during lunch and I just wanted to post this for any new peeps that are thinking of purchasing a headphone within the coming weeks. its been almost a year since I started reading all these threads in Head-Fi and I feel like I should contribute a bit more since MLEs guide was the inspiration for me to actually really think...eerrr wanting to listen to better sound with better quality headphones. I have seen that there has been a growing amount of peeps hearing and wanting to try out Dolby headphone or SBX pro Studio or any type of virtual surround sound, which to me thats great, everyone has been missing out on great sound and the few that are still searching for the right headphone...keep looking and you will find it. I have found 2 already lol and ill probobly find a few more until I call it quits....for headphones that is lol and then start with amps and DACs.

I know that technology will advanced even further but I feel like that the Headphones MLE has listed in this thread are all great headphones and are meant for different people with different taste. They are the common grounds so to speak.

So all in all....just set your price range or what your budget is, then think about what kind of sound you want like more bass, better mids, etc etc, comfort and fit, adjustability or mod friendly ( like easy to attach a Boompro mic on an X1 or X2 for example) and select the headphones that fall within your needs and pic the one you think you will like the most...of course...nobody ever finds a perfect one and you are bound to keep searching but thats how it is here, well at least from what I learned. Theres just not an easy answer and the only answer you could be given from is from your ears. 

MLE has also seperated a list where it list headphones more viable for competitive or for more immersion.

I guess thats all I have to say for now.

Have a good evening/night guys and sorry for the long post.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #26,415 of 48,565
Im trying to find a bluetooth 2.1 + EDR Device that will connect to a microphone and send voice chat to a bluetooth recieving device (2.1 + EDR) specifically

Microphone (separate attachment via aux)  -> Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR Device -> PS4

It mist be pretty small

Users who are viewing this thread

Back