Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 26, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #25,651 of 48,562
Fidelio X1 for 149€ from Amazon France, mostly 7€ shipping to other EU.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/ref=pe_828501_53233771_pe_ecg/?ASIN=B008ZW2T7M

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #25,652 of 48,562
I mean, I had a job at his age, and friends and a sport and all that good stuff, but I felt my mom was close to doing that a few times. She would be the one to look psycho tho, her whole thing is she believes games turn people into remorseless serial killers.

I know another guy who used a Satori handle, what's that from/what did that mean?

Is that what stillhart looks like..,one way of getting rid of his xbox one games now that he can play in 1080p and 60fps on his ps4!

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #25,653 of 48,562
  That's actually not true at all, some of the hardest to drive headphones are lower ohms, AKGs are well known to be a bit power hungry. It also has to do with sensitivity and some headphones just sound better underamped than others. I have both the K612 and the DT 150, and the DT 150 sounds a bit better without an amp than the K612. You don't have to have an amp with either headphone but I personally suggest an amp in the long run.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm just trying to be consistent. To me, an amp was a simple gadget to get an extra performance boost out of the headphone, and paying the same amount for both didn't make sense (Kind of buying a second video card in SLI just to get a 10% performance boost). Of course this perception of mine was completely mistaken.

I was about to say I will consider an amp for the K612 Pro, but then I noticed the post above... I could just simply go for those and forget about amps for the time being (Fidelio X1. Minimal amping according to the OP).

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #25,654 of 48,562
This is probable a dumb question but since the Astromix Amp and Mixamp Pro both have internal amps, is there an issue with double amplification if you go from source to Mixamp to Schiit Amp to headphones?

Are the Mixamps the best for Dolby Headphone for a standalone unit?  I have my laptop, DirectTV (coax and spdif).

Lastly, do any of the Mixamps support 5.1/7.1 thru the USB?
Does the Recon3D support 5.1/thru the USB?  (I am streaming movies thru Amazon Prime on the laptop to the REcon3D and then the amp then headphones)

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #25,655 of 48,562
Any suggested sites I can download non-youtube test videos?  I want to test my Recon3D standalone processor that is hooked up USB to my laptop...
Or can I use MLE's ones thru IE on page 1 of this thread?

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #25,656 of 48,562
Hey folks, checking in from vacation. Just a quick update after Jude's latest product unveiling, I plan on getting the Blue Mo-Fi and seeing how they are for gaming before too long. I have to sell of a few things to fund the purchase but once those are gone I'll be placing my order.

MLE, the offer I made the other day still stands should you find yourself with a few bucks to spend. :wink:

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #25,658 of 48,562

Is that what stillhart looks like..,one way of getting rid of his xbox one games now that he can play in 1080p and 60fps on his ps4!

1 - All my games are digital now.
2 - Enough with the digs on the Xbox One.  I still like it significantly better than the PS4 and I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 900p or 30fps and 60fps.  I really don't give a flying **** about the power difference between the systems.  There's only one game that I want on the PS4 that I can't get on another system and even that is just a remastered version of a PS3 game.  The UI sucks, the PSN is unreliable, I get kicked out of party chat randomly, etc.  The PS4 is a ****ty purchase right now, even at he price I paid.  Literally the ONLY reason I got one is to play with friends who stupidly got one instead of an Xbone because it's more efficient for me to buy one console than for all my friends to buy a second (many of whom couldn't even if they wanted to).  Shall I go on or shall we all agree to drop the subject like mature adults?

This is probable a dumb question but since the Astromix Amp and Mixamp Pro both have internal amps, is there an issue with double amplification if you go from source to Mixamp to Schiit Amp to headphones?

Are the Mixamps the best for Dolby Headphone for a standalone unit?  I have my laptop, DirectTV (coax and spdif).

Lastly, do any of the Mixamps support 5.1/7.1 thru the USB?
Does the Recon3D support 5.1/thru the USB?  (I am streaming movies thru Amazon Prime on the laptop to the REcon3D and then the amp then headphones)

Re: your first question, if there was an issue with the double-amping, it would have been mentioned in the guide.

Re: your other questions, if you want something that works on console/set top boxes AND PC, the only option is the Sound Blaster Recon3D, which uses THX instead of Dolby Headphone.  The Recon will do audio over USB if you have it in PC mode (like an external sound card basically) and over SPDIF if you have it in PS/Xbox mode.

I see the AntLion ModMic 4.0 is on sale right now. Is it worth investing in to pair with my Q701? Anybody have experience with this combo?

The problem with the ModMic IMO is that you still have to deal with a second cord.  If you're going to do that, I'd just as soon get the cheap clip-on mics that are $5 for 3 of em.  I have no issues with the SQ on those cheap mics, so the only reason I'd upgrade is for something like a Boompro, which fixes my cable clutter.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #25,660 of 48,562
  Fidelio X1 for 149€ from Amazon France, mostly 7€ shipping to other EU.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/ref=pe_828501_53233771_pe_ecg/?ASIN=B008ZW2T7M

Well, that didn't last long. I didn't even have a chance to make the order. They are now for 300€.

So back to the K621 Pro + Amp. Any decent/cheap amp to start with? (as in "my first amp ever")

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #25,662 of 48,562
  Well, that didn't last long. I didn't even have a chance to make the order. They are now for 300€.

So back to the K621 Pro + Amp. Any decent/cheap amp to start with? (as in "my first amp ever").

Check the amp reviews at the bottom of the guide.  Any of those should work fine.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #25,663 of 48,562

1 - All my games are digital now.
2 - Enough with the digs on the Xbox One.  I still like it significantly better than the PS4 and I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 900p or 30fps and 60fps.  I really don't give a flying **** about the power difference between the systems.  There's only one game that I want on the PS4 that I can't get on another system and even that is just a remastered version of a PS3 game.  The UI sucks, the PSN is unreliable, I get kicked out of party chat randomly, etc.  The PS4 is a ****ty purchase right now, even at he price I paid.  Literally the ONLY reason I got one is to play with friends who stupidly got one instead of an Xbone because it's more efficient for me to buy one console than for all my friends to buy a second (many of whom couldn't even if they wanted to).  Shall I go on or shall we all agree to drop the subject like mature adults?

Re: your first question, if there was an issue with the double-amping, it would have been mentioned in the guide.

Re: your other questions, if you want something that works on console/set top boxes AND PC, the only option is the Sound Blaster Recon3D, which uses THX instead of Dolby Headphone.  The Recon will do audio over USB if you have it in PC mode (like an external sound card basically) and over SPDIF if you have it in PS/Xbox mode.

The problem with the ModMic IMO is that you still have to deal with a second cord.  If you're going to do that, I'd just as soon get the cheap clip-on mics that are $5 for 3 of em.  I have no issues with the SQ on those cheap mics, so the only reason I'd upgrade is for something like a Boompro, which fixes my cable clutter.

Only meant as a joke stillhart it wasn't a dig , get first light tomorrow and you will see what your ps4 can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back