Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #25,666 of 48,568
  Thanks. I didn't noticed there was an amp section.

Is the Fiio E11 any good (decent)? There's a good offer in the site where I'm going to buy the K612 Pro. Otherwise, I think it's gonna be the E9K (cost twice as much).

The E11 doesn't really have enough juice to drive the AKG's.  I use it on my Mixamp 5.8 to get a little more volume when needed, but it doesn't do anything to really improve the sound.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #25,668 of 48,568
1 - All my games are digital now.
2 - Enough with the digs on the Xbox One.  I still like it significantly better than the PS4 and I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 900p or 30fps and 60fps.  I really don't give a flying **** about the power difference between the systems.  There's only one game that I want on the PS4 that I can't get on another system and even that is just a remastered version of a PS3 game.  The UI sucks, the PSN is unreliable, I get kicked out of party chat randomly, etc.  The PS4 is a ****ty purchase right now, even at he price I paid.  Literally the ONLY reason I got one is to play with friends who stupidly got one instead of an Xbone because it's more efficient for me to buy one console than for all my friends to buy a second (many of whom couldn't even if they wanted to).  Shall I go on or shall we all agree to drop the subject like mature adults?

Re: your first question, if there was an issue with the double-amping, it would have been mentioned in the guide.

Re: your other questions, if you want something that works on console/set top boxes AND PC, the only option is the Sound Blaster Recon3D, which uses THX instead of Dolby Headphone.  The Recon will do audio over USB if you have it in PC mode (like an external sound card basically) and over SPDIF if you have it in PS/Xbox mode.

The problem with the ModMic IMO is that you still have to deal with a second cord.  If you're going to do that, I'd just as soon get the cheap clip-on mics that are $5 for 3 of em.  I have no issues with the SQ on those cheap mics, so the only reason I'd upgrade is for something like a Boompro, which fixes my cable clutter.

I braided the Modmic and Q701 cables together and it worked like a champ. Shortened the cords and turned them into a single cable at the same time. The Modmic is a damned nice microphone. The wife ended up with it and I'm contemplating getting another some time down the road.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #25,669 of 48,568
I don't get all the complaining about two cords instead of one. I have my modmic attached all the time to the headphones and haven't noticed any discomfort at all.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #25,670 of 48,568
  I don't get all the complaining about two cords instead of one. I have my modmic attached all the time to the headphones and haven't noticed any discomfort at all.

For me, it's mostly because I tend to move my headphones between the PS4+Recon and Xbone+Mixamp and PC+Omni.  The more you move them around, the more you get annoyed at extra cables.  Admittedly, it's really NOT that big of a deal for me.  But not having to deal with it is definitely worth paying a little more for.

On the other hand, I don't see why I'd pay extra for the ModMic, when the Neewer does the same thing as far as I can tell.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #25,671 of 48,568
Well, I bought it mostly because I like the idea of never ever needing another microphone, I ordered two extra base clasps with it so I'll just reattach it to the next headphones I buy (which probably won't be soon) and keep doing that until it breaks into pieces. I know I could've bought something much nicer than 598's with the money I would have saved by buing 3$ Newegg instead of 50$ Modmic but one day I'll buy some really glorious headphones and when that happens, I'll have equally glorious mic to accompany them.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #25,672 of 48,568
Stillhart, not meaning to start an argument here... but how in god's green earth do you not see the difference between 30fps and 60fps? I mean... I just... people who say this boggle my mind. May as well be black and white compared to color to me. But then... there are those who are colorblind. :D

It drives me bat***** crazy when Cod Ghosts goes from 60fps to 30fps at random.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #25,673 of 48,568
Stillhart, not meaning to start an argument here... but how in god's green earth do you not see the difference between 30fps and 60fps? I mean... I just... people who say this boggle my mind. May as well be black and white compared to color to me. But then... there are those who are colorblind.
biggrin.gif

It drives me bat***** crazy when Cod Ghosts goes from 60fps to 30fps at random.

I've read a lot of stuff on both sides of this.  Some people seem to be a lot more keyed into it than others.  I gather that it's mainly FPS players who notice it most because apparently it affects twitch aiming pretty significantly?  I'm nowhere near that level of play (I'm just god awful at CoD, not much better at BF).  Keep in mind that I didn't play a single FPS between Goldeneye on N64 and the original Borderlands.  Also I've been mainly a PC gamer so I'm used to a pretty crazy variety in quality based on my current system specs, etc.

Now obviously, I can tell when the frame rate drops below 30, but most games are locked at 30 minimum on either system.

EDIT - Okay check this out:  http://30vs60.com/index.html

Makes it pretty easy to see the difference after a while of staring at both.  But I mean... I had to stare at both for a while to see the difference.  Yes, 60fps seems to be smoother, looks a little better.  Seems to be a really marginal improvement overall though...

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #25,678 of 48,568
Wish my korean ips overclocked reliably. My new incoming G sync Asus ROG swift should fit the bill tho lol. That battlefield friends vid is pretty funny.

Are there more than one brand available for G sync yet?  I want it, but I'm not interested in paying more simply because Asus is the only one making it...  Oooh, maybe they'll have some to play with at the Nvidia booth at PAX!

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #25,679 of 48,568

Quote:

Wish my korean ips overclocked reliably. My new incoming G sync Asus ROG swift should fit the bill tho lol. That battlefield friends vid is pretty funny.

Lucky! Only if I had a job I would blow my money like that...

Quote:

Are there more than one brand available for G sync yet?  I want it, but I'm not interested in paying more simply because Asus is the only one making it...  Oooh, maybe they'll have some to play with at the Nvidia booth at PAX!

Of course ASUS isn't the only company that is partnered with NVIDIA's G sync technology, http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

"Q: What display companies are planning on introducing G-SYNC monitors?
A: Many of the industry’s leading monitor manufacturers have already included G-SYNC in their product roadmaps for 2014. Among the first planning to roll out the technology are Acer, AOC, ASUS, BenQ and Phillips."

I'm really looking forward to FreeSync as it's not suppose to cost as much as G Sync and might be for everyone later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back