Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #25,621 of 48,568

I did a review of the AKG K712 Pro compared to the Beyerdynamic DT 150, in the end I found the DT 150 the better headphone overall. I do find the K712 better gaming overall although the K712 doesn't offer the powerful immersion factor the DT 150 has in games.

Do you know how these compare to DT770 Pro? Because that's the one I had.

Sounds like a solid choice.  You might find yourself wanting a bit more amplification with the K612, tho.  The SoundMAGIC HP200 might be a decent alternative; it's a little more expensive but easier to drive.

I can't find this headphone for less than 300$ (Europe), and buying outside of EU sounds like too much trouble.

Regarding the K612 Pro, OP said that an amp is essential. Sadly I know nothing about this topic. Do I need an amp considering my soundcard? (Asus Xonar DX) . If so, which one is better (price wise) for this headphone?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #25,622 of 48,568
Under $200, I think the K612 stands alone as the best I have reviewed, other than the MA900 which is no longer found at the price range. I find them to bne on equal footing with tradeoffs. I prefer the warmer tonality and exceptional comfort of the MA900, but the K612 is one of the most balanced, accurate headphones I have ever heard. The bass reaches impressively low, though it isn't as impactful as I'd like (the MA900 has more impact).

If you favor some warmth and comfort, try and find a used MA900. If not, the K612 is pretty...hard to pass up at it's price.

K612 Pro would be a pretty damn good headphone for rock/electro. It has plenty of bite. Definitely more ideal for that over the MA900 which is a tad bit slower and not as energetic.

Asn for HE-4 vs HE400, the HE-4 is a step above the HE400 overall, but I still prefer the bass and liveliness of the HE400 over the HE4. The HE400 has more body and impact, while the HE4 has more finesse and airiness. I just like the thicker sound of the HE400 morer though. The HE400 is polarizing though since it has the upper mid scoop which can make certain things sound muffled, as well as having a really big treble spike that can make other stuff fatiguing. The HE4 is much more behaved.

Overall, unless you know what to expect of the HE400 and what it does well is appealing to you, the HE4 is a definite winner overall. Just remember, it is a LOT more amp and source dependent. The wrong equipment will make it sound utterly lacking. The HE400 will more or less sound the same off everything you throw at it.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #25,623 of 48,568

clearly 612pro is far more refined than hd598. not even a competition. 

Good to know, I had no idea.
Under $200, I think the K612 stands alone as the best I have reviewed, other than the MA900 which is no longer found at the price range. I find them to bne on equal footing with tradeoffs. I prefer the warmer tonality and exceptional comfort of the MA900, but the K612 is one of the most balanced, accurate headphones I have ever heard. The bass reaches impressively low, though it isn't as impactful as I'd like (the MA900 has more impact).

If you favor some warmth and comfort, try and find a used MA900. If not, the K612 is pretty...hard to pass up at it's price.

K612 Pro would be a pretty damn good headphone for rock/electro. It has plenty of bite. Definitely more ideal for that over the MA900 which is a tad bit slower and not as energetic.

Asn for HE-4 vs HE400, the HE-4 is a step above the HE400 overall, but I still prefer the bass and liveliness of the HE400 over the HE4. The HE400 has more body and impact, while the HE4 has more finesse and airiness. I just like the thicker sound of the HE400 morer though. The HE400 is polarizing though since it has the upper mid scoop which can make certain things sound muffled, as well as having a really big treble spike that can make other stuff fatiguing. The HE4 is much more behaved.

Overall, unless you know what to expect of the HE400 and what it does well is appealing to you, the HE4 is a definite winner overall. Just remember, it is a LOT more amp and source dependent. The wrong equipment will make it sound utterly lacking. The HE400 will more or less sound the same off everything you throw at it.

K612 is in the same "level" of hd598, no? I don't think that it would be an upgrade, but a change for another headphone of the same "level", or am I wrong?

What about the HD650 vs K712 pro??

The problem (I guess) is the hd650 impendance (300omhs).... I don't think that my soundcard can handle it....

Envy?? rsrs

Just remembering, I want a headphone around US$ 400,00

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #25,624 of 48,568
Is there a clear winner in the $300-500 category?  Something with a large soundstage, high fun factor, articulate highs, solid mids, impact lows and solid positional?  I am 80% movies, 20% gaming and I want to feel real depth and envelopment.
Would be using a Schiit amp (I ordered both a Magni and Vali to compare, will be here Weds) to compare to my 10 year old stock Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 tube amp. Recon3D processor in hand, but could order Dolby Headphone unit like Astro Mixamp pro.

Here are the ones I thought in the running (the only ones I have heard in person are the He-400):
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
AKG 712 Pro
HifiMan HE-400: Have these in hand.  Solid bass, good highs but can get fatiguing. (but I can EQ to highs) Soundstage is OK but not great.
Hifiman HE-400i (just hitting the market)
Hifiman HE-4
Philips Fidelio X1
Ultrasone Pro900 (although I have not been able to find under $500.. would love to find at $300-350)

Would like to hear how the AKG's compare to Hifiman in regards to movies and gaming.
Also, any others I should be trying to get ahold of?

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #25,625 of 48,568
I love how people ask for every single aspect of a headphone to be good. Not gonna happen.

X1 or K702 Annie would be my recommendations since movies are 80% of your need. I opt for the Annie due to thicker sounbd over the K712, but if you prefer more air over thicker sound, get the K712 instead. The X1 is great, if only lacking a little control in the bass. Otherwise, not much it does wrong.

If you can wait, the 400i may be a solid contender.

The HE-400 with velours are at least pretty solid, as long as you EQ down the treble. That is essentially all I'd need from them, since less treble = more chance for the upper mids to stand out.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #25,626 of 48,568

Good to know, I had no idea.

Envy?? rsrs

Just remembering, I want a headphone around US$ 400,00

Thanks!

From what I gather, those two headphones have different sounds.  I'd suggest reading up on their respective sounds in other threads and then coming back here to see how they perform for gaming.  This is a massive website about headphones; MLE isn't the one and only person who can answer your questions.

MLE isn't your personal advisor.  The guide he wrote up is already pretty detailed so don't EXPECT him to answer every little question you throw at him.  Have a little respect for all the work he already put into this.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #25,627 of 48,568
  Is there a clear winner in the $300-500 category?  Something with a large soundstage, high fun factor, articulate highs, solid mids, impact lows and solid positional?  I am 80% movies, 20% gaming and I want to feel real depth and envelopment.
Would be using a Schiit amp (I ordered both a Magni and Vali to compare, will be here Weds) to compare to my 10 year old stock Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 tube amp. Recon3D processor in hand, but could order Dolby Headphone unit like Astro Mixamp pro.

Here are the ones I thought in the running (the only ones I have heard in person are the He-400):
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
AKG 712 Pro
HifiMan HE-400: Have these in hand.  Solid bass, good highs but can get fatiguing. (but I can EQ to highs) Soundstage is OK but not great.
Hifiman HE-400i (just hitting the market)
Hifiman HE-4
Philips Fidelio X1
Ultrasone Pro900 (although I have not been able to find under $500.. would love to find at $300-350)

Would like to hear how the AKG's compare to Hifiman in regards to movies and gaming.
Also, any others I should be trying to get ahold of?

Out of all those, I've only heard the X1.  But I'd easily recommend it for your uses.  You don't really NEED crazy headphones for movies in the same way you would for music (IMO).  There's no need to spend $500 if a $250 headphone will do the same thing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #25,628 of 48,568
So would you say the HE-400 with velour pads are better for movies than the AKG's?  or how would you personally rank this group on movies? (or what are your personal top 2 for movies..sci fi and action type movies mostly.)   I can get the Hifiman HE-400, HE-4 and the HE-400i's for around $299 because or a credit I have with my dealer... so money could be a wash here.

FYI: I really respect everyones opinion on this website.  I am really reaching out to everyone who has compared various headphones to get various opinions on combinations that work.  Its not just the headphones but combinations of headphones and amps and my source primarily being movies.  I truly appreciate all the insight.
I wish I could just order 10 pairs of headphones and test them all.  I've tried to listen to all of you and short list and then maybe get 4 pairs and pick one.

Thank you again.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #25,629 of 48,568
If movies are number 1, I easily recommend the X1 or HE400. I really enjoy the planar bass of the HE400, while the X1 has a bit of looseness in the bass in comparison, but is great overall. The X1 also has a very good soundstage, while the HE400 impresses more on imaging rather than soundstage size. Really, apples to oranges with tradeoffs.

The X1 is the safer bet since it's not polarizing like the HE400 can be. You either love the HE400 or hate it. The X1 is pretty well liked in general.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #25,630 of 48,568
Thx MLE.  Would you say you prefer the 400's only with the velour pads?     I was going to get a pair of AKG 712's to compare to but I trust your opinions and I have spent a lot of time and money on shipping :)

Now it just comes down to HE-400 or the 400i's if I can get them.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #25,631 of 48,568
As many of you know by now, I absolutely can't stand pleather pads (more due to comfort than anything), so it's velour or bust. Nowadays, there are several options for Hifiman cans, some which I find more intriguing than others:

Focus pads
Focus A pads
Shure 1540 pads

These may be better or worse for the HE400 than the velour. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone post impressions for the 400 with these pads. The 1540 pads apparently work very well with the HE-4. I've used the 1540 pads before (on the 1840), so I would definitely check those out and see if they worked for the HE400. FWIH, they seem to retain a mix between pleather/velour properties.

The K712 is a really safe bet, as is the X1. You may end up hating the HE400, while I doubt you'd hate the 712 or X1.

There is no CLEAR winner here. There are tradeoffs with every headphone. So when someone says which headphone is the best at XXX price range, there is no right answer. We all have our preferences. I loved the 400 overall, but a few of my friends here were not as thrilled, which is totally understandable (upper mid recession + strong treble).

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #25,632 of 48,568
As many of you know by now, I absolutely can't stand pleather pads (more due to comfort than anything), so it's velour or bust. Nowadays, there are several options for Hifiman cans, some which I find more intriguing than others:

Focus pads
Focus A pads
Shure 1540 pads

These may be better or worse for the HE400 than the velour. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone post impressions for the 400 with these pads. The 1540 pads apparently work very well with the HE-4. I've used the 1540 pads before (on the 1840), so I would definitely check those out and see if they worked for the HE400. FWIH, they seem to retain a mix between pleather/velour properties.

The K712 is a really safe bet, as is the X1. You may end up hating the HE400, while I doubt you'd hate the 712 or X1.

There is no CLEAR winner here. There are tradeoffs with every headphone. So when someone says which headphone is the best at XXX price range, there is no right answer. We all have our preferences. I loved the 400 overall, but a few of my friends here were not as thrilled, which is totally understandable (upper mid recession + strong treble).

I agree with MLE that people seem to love them or hate them.  @Evshrug hated the HE-400 because of the bad mids.  I suspect I won't like them either because of my preferences.  

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #25,633 of 48,568
I ordered the AKG K712's just now.  They arrive on Weds.  I plan to do a A-B test with them and the HE-400 I have sitting next to me.
I also ordered the Asgard 2 and Vali amps from Schiit.  I am wondering if any of you have paired the HE-400 or the AKG K712's with either of these?

All of this arrives on Weds... should be a busy day :)

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #25,634 of 48,568
  I ordered the AKG K712's just now.  They arrive on Weds.  I plan to do a A-B test with them and the HE-400 I have sitting next to me.
I also ordered the Asgard 2 and Vali amps from Schiit.  I am wondering if any of you have paired the HE-400 or the AKG K712's with either of these?

All of this arrives on Weds... should be a busy day :)

Both of those amps are popular with the Q701 crowd.  I suspect they'll both be just fine with the K712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back