Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #25,636 of 48,562
If I understood correctly, the higher the impedance is, the greater is the need of an amp, and the DT150's is twice as much. I rather take my chances with the K612 Pro with no amp. While I do need the headphone with some urgency, I'm not willing to spend 100$+ on an amp. Not for now, at least. (I hope my soundcard helps, though).

So, unless you guys have a last minute advice that's what I'm going to order.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #25,637 of 48,562
  If I understood correctly, the higher the impedance is, the greater is the need of an amp, and the DT150's is twice as much. I rather take my chances with the K612 Pro with no amp. While I do need the headphone with some urgency, I'm not willing to spend 100$+ on an amp. Not for now, at least. (I hope my soundcard helps, though).

Uhh... that impedance statement is all kinds of confused.  You will almost certainly want an amp for you K612 at some point, but you don't NEED it right away.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #25,638 of 48,562

That's actually not true at all, some of the hardest to drive headphones are lower ohms, AKGs are well known to be a bit power hungry. It also has to do with sensitivity and some headphones just sound better underamped than others. I have both the K612 and the DT 150, and the DT 150 sounds a bit better without an amp than the K612. You don't have to have an amp with either headphone but I personally suggest an amp in the long run.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #25,639 of 48,562
  That's actually not true at all, some of the hardest to drive headphones are lower ohms, AKGs are well known to be a bit power hungry. It also has to do with sensitivity and some headphones just sound better underamped than others. I have both the K612 and the DT 150, and the DT 150 sounds a bit better without an amp than the K612. You don't have to have an amp with either headphone but I personally suggest an amp in the long run.

cue HiFiMAN...

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #25,641 of 48,562
The HE-400 sounds damn good off just the E17. Bonus points for being able to reduce treble directly off the E17.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #25,642 of 48,562
Question.... When testing headphones at home, is it a good idea to use the 7.1 Dolby tests out on youtube?
I am using the Recon3D or Razer Synapse surround software on my laptop.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #25,643 of 48,562

I really like the Dolby Headphone on the Xonar DX Cinema DH2 8.1 channel mixer 5.1.    Does the Astro Mixamp Pro or any of the other Console/stand alones sound this good?  If so, which one?

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #25,645 of 48,562
But does it sound as good as the Xonar DX card?

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #25,646 of 48,562
  But does it sound as good as the Xonar DX card?

It uses the exact same sound processing technology for virtual surround.  Are you asking if the amp and the DAC compare in general?  The amp and DAC in the Mixamp are nothing to write home about... they kinda suck.  I have no idea if the DX is any good or not so I couldn't say.  I suspect the DX will be on par or better if it's anything like the Sound Blaster Z, which is in the same price range.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #25,647 of 48,562
Impedance is a factor but other things, like the type of headphone, factors in as well. Electrostatics for example are harder to drive than their impedance would suggest because of the way they function. The AKG 712 do take more power to drive than you would think if you just looked at their specs and I have two amps/dacs that I enjoy with them ( Audio-gd NFB 11.32 and the O2). Both are inexpensive and provide plenty of oomph. The Mixamp definitely has some noise to it and is not silent like a good AMP as well not quite as clear especially in the lower and higher frequencies. I have owned the Xonar St and it wasn't as good as that though I'm not sure if that applies to the DX. I have the Mixamp Pro which, according to MLE, is the quietest of the bunch too. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #25,650 of 48,562
I hope this wasn't anybody on here...

I mean, I had a job at his age, and friends and a sport and all that good stuff, but I felt my mom was close to doing that a few times. She would be the one to look psycho tho, her whole thing is she believes games turn people into remorseless serial killers.

I know another guy who used a Satori handle, what's that from/what did that mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back