Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #24,797 of 48,562
I think Fegefeurer has owned the HD800, he's in here every few days. From reviews, I'd bet that the soundstage and competitive advantage would be great, but gun sounds could get fatiguing and you might get frustrated with how the bit-quality of games kinda "caps out."

I'd like to add that the MA900 was great, I really liked some parts of it (and some part of me is still looking for magical mids like that again), but it didn't replace my q701's and shared similar strength's as what I went to the AD700 for. These DT880 are god-mode analytical, but they lack too much mids and I don't think they'll stay. I still have my Q701, I also picked up the K712 as a refinement of that formula, but I respect the K612 and if I was budget crunched and had to start over I would first buy a K612 as an all-around headphone. The HE-400 never caught on for my tastes.

If you want more magical and even better mids than the MA900, I would look at either the HD 600 or HD 650. The lush richness of their mids and vocals is just a pleasure to listen to. It took a few auditions of them for me to really like their sound but now after hearing them more, I think the HD 650 is going to be my next headphone and it may replace my K712 as my main headphone. The MA900 was too lacking in refinement for me sadly.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #24,798 of 48,562
You're very welcome, Stillhart. Glad you are enjoying the experience. I think I deserve the most hate, though
tongue.gif

So, what are your plans with the M-Stage now that you are loving the 15?

I've been meaning to post it on the classifieds, just been busy.  There's always talk about it in the Q701 thread so I'm sure someone will pick it up relatively quickly.

I think Fegefeurer has owned the HD800, he's in here every few days. From reviews, I'd bet that the soundstage and competitive advantage would be great, but gun sounds could get fatiguing and you might get frustrated with how the bit-quality of games kinda "caps out."

I'd like to add that the MA900 was great, I really liked some parts of it (and some part of me is still looking for magical mids like that again), but it didn't replace my q701's and shared similar strength's as what I went to the AD700 for. These DT880 are god-mode analytical, but they lack too much mids and I don't think they'll stay. I still have my Q701, I also picked up the K712 as a refinement of that formula, but I respect the K612 and if I was budget crunched and had to start over I would first buy a K612 as an all-around headphone. The HE-400 never caught on for my tastes.

I've heard that the HD800 can be really picky with gear pairings.  I wonder if some of the fatiguing highs could be compensated for...

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #24,799 of 48,562

I've been meaning to post it on the classifieds, just been busy.  There's always talk about it in the Q701 thread so I'm sure someone will pick it up relatively quickly.

I've heard that the HD800 can be really picky with gear pairings.  I wonder if some of the fatiguing highs could be compensated for...

The HD 800 is picky and takes effort to get to sound right. I've heard the HD 800 stock without fatiguing highs and a good bass response, the easiest way is probably to get a tube amp and tube roll and/or hook it up to warmish and darkish sounding gear, but it can't be too warm or dark it may hurt the soundstaging, so it's a careful balancing act to get it right. I personally don't think it's worth the trouble as I always found it a boring and overly technical listen regardless. Although if one is a soundstage lover and gets most musical pleasure from the soundstage and imaging or someone who likes a really technical sounding headphone it's probably the ideal headphone for them. I personally get the most listening pleasure from tone and musicality.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #24,800 of 48,562
Well, this picky and synergy thing surely made a few millions in very few pockets.

You don't need the HD 800 if you're just gaming. Total waste. If you play games, watch movies and music then yes, very recommended.

I recommend the HD 800 if you play on the PC as it allows for much better setup ideas and combinations and generally much cleaner SQ. On consoles you could have a similar clean experience if you play in stereo since you can bypass the Mixamp and others and use your regular DAC/AMP to the fullest. Nobody here will recommend it though for good reasons.
This will change the day we get a VST device that outputs binaural stereo like Creative/ASUS soundcards do. 

A few "cheaper" DAC/AMPs or setups I liked with the HD 800 were Matrix M-Stage + X-Fi Titanium HD, Asus Xonar Essence One (fed optical with a Z and THD). Fantastic setups actually, already giving you quite the HD 800 experience.

I don't see any problems with getting fatigued unless you use CMSS-3D and have to experience bad sample quality like Bioshock Infinite. SBX is very fine and imo the very best out of all others for the HD 800. Both a wonderful match. 

I'll list you a few headphones that are more fatigueing to my ears from easierst to worst:

DT880 600 borderline (to fatigueing or too bright) but very slightly towards the good side
DT990 600 borderline, slightly towards the bad side
T90 unfortunately badly balanced up top, noticable worse than the other two, feels like an overlooked flaw, a pity as it has a superb soundstage 
Pro 2900 - can become pretty painful, exciting at first, especially for its kickbass but sooner or later you'll sell it
Pro 900 - definitely painful and superbly fatigueing

If you can stand the DT880 600 then the HD 800 is easy for you. Don't be afraid about "picky" and synergy. A "lower cost" setup will already give you more than any other headphone could replace or do better. The biggest and most accurate soundstage of them all, no matter if games, movies, music (it's especially exciting with music), a very well extended bass that has tactility (sp?) and impact, enormous detail while being very very clean with ultra low distortion.

The only problem is VST devices and digital outputs, that's why it's best on PC (technical reasons, not speaking about gaming choices)

Any other headphones? Well, TH-900 for marvellous (sub) bass, great soundstage (though smaller), very clean and detailed and runs pretty good off the Mixamp alone and works very well with DHP. Unfortunately very expensive. 

I can see the HE-560 being another "upgrade" option but my time with it was limited and only spent with music (I really liked it). 

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #24,802 of 48,562
  I just got my Q701s in the mail (but in the wrong color
frown.gif
), is it worth looking into the K712s if I can get them for a decent price? Or should I just stick with the Q701s for now? Decisions, decisions.

Assuming you are fine with the sound of the Q701, the price difference between the two should really drive your decision.  If you're at all budget-oriented, I personally find it hard to justify the upgrade (hence why I still have the Q701).  If you really don't care about the money and just want the best, then yeah, get the K712 for sure.  

It's just that the Q701 is so cheap now that you're getting into serious diminishing returns by upgrading.  Based on everything I've read, yes the K712 better in many ways.  But, depending on how much you got your Q's for, it could cost more than twice as much!  That's a tough sell for me.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #24,803 of 48,562
  Any other headphones? Well, TH-900 for marvellous (sub) bass, great soundstage (though smaller), very clean and detailed and runs pretty good off the Mixamp alone and works very well with DHP. Unfortunately very expensive. 

I can see the HE-560 being another "upgrade" option but my time with it was limited and only spent with music (I really liked it). 

The HE-560 is a lot cheaper than the HD800.  If you're considering that to be even a side-grade, that's a pretty good value...

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #24,804 of 48,562

Assuming you are fine with the sound of the Q701, the price difference between the two should really drive your decision.  If you're at all budget-oriented, I personally find it hard to justify the upgrade (hence why I still have the Q701).  If you really don't care about the money and just want the best, then yeah, get the K712 for sure.  

It's just that the Q701 is so cheap now that you're getting into serious diminishing returns by upgrading.  Based on everything I've read, yes the K712 better in many ways.  But, depending on how much you got your Q's for, it could cost more than twice as much!  That's a tough sell for me.

Awesome. I'm good with the 701s. I guess this is the dreaded upgrade fever I keep hearing about. Lol It would cost me double to upgrade. Now if I had only gotten the right color. I got white, wanted black because I feel the white will get extremely dirty really fast and be even harder to clean. Anyone with the white 701s want to chime in and ease my nerves a bit?
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #24,805 of 48,562
If you want more magical and even better mids than the MA900, I would look at either the HD 600 or HD 650. The lush richness of their mids and vocals is just a pleasure to listen to. It took a few auditions of them for me to really like their sound but now after hearing them more, I think the HD 650 is going to be my next headphone and it may replace my K712 as my main headphone. The MA900 was too lacking in refinement for me sadly.

The MA900 was refined enough for me, but it took awhile and a few specific songs to make me feel "the magic." It's a great gaming headphone, but for my all-rounder, I wanted a little more extension. Maybe even a bit of wear on the drivers so things aren't TOO tight :wink:

The HE-560 is a lot cheaper than the HD800.  If you're considering that to be even a side-grade, that's a pretty good value...

I think Feg was recommending an upgrade for me that has a lot of mids. Nothing at all wrong with my AKG's, but the little more tight (possibly restrained? Analytical is most often used) all around DT880 I got ended up not offering complimentary alternate character from my K712 (which I am keeping). So an HD800 sounds like a mix/upgrade of the DT880 and K712 strengths, but not something different really.

Last night I had a lot of fun playing Destiny (again) with my DSS and DT880, seems to pretty obviously dampen distortions in the DSS (I'd attribute the less picky nature of the DT880 to it's 600 ohm impedance, though an amp's "color" is still a factor), made me want to give it more of a chance, but if someone was willing to trade an HD600 I'd have to consider it.

Awesome. I'm good with the 701s. I guess this is the dreaded upgrade fever I keep hearing about. Lol It would cost me double to upgrade. Now if I had only gotten the right color. I got white, wanted black because I feel the white will get extremely dirty really fast and be even harder to clean. Anyone with the white 701s want to chime in and ease my nerves a bit? :wink_face:

Dude, the whites are my fav! Personal tastes vary, but beauty is more universally defined by contrasts, and the storm trooper white Q701 with light/minimal green accents make the most cohesive "sense" to me of the three options. It's not garish.

I've also had mine for over 2 years, I don't take it outside the house often but it has not a mark on it. The ability to replace cables have saved it once already.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #24,806 of 48,562
I've also had mine for over 2 years, I don't take it outside the house often but it has not a mark on it. The ability to replace cables have saved it once already.

Thank you. I really like the white now that I look at them, just super nervous they will get really dirty. I always love white products until they turn that dingy dish cloth white. Lol How have you managed to keep them so clean, besides not taking them out the house (my plan as well)?

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #24,807 of 48,562

Thank you. I really like the white now that I look at them, just super nervous they will get really dirty. I always love white products until they turn that dingy dish cloth white. Lol How have you managed to keep them so clean, besides not taking them out the house (my plan as well)?

Wash your hands more often?  
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #24,808 of 48,562

Well, it's smooth plastic, so dust just wipes off and it doesn't get dingy like plastic or a vinyl wrap. Don't leave it in the sun, don't spill drinks on it, and it's basically maintenance-free. I just pick loose hairs off the pads sometimes.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #24,809 of 48,562

Wash your hands more often?  
tongue.gif

Well, it's smooth plastic, so dust just wipes off and it doesn't get dingy like plastic or a vinyl wrap. Don't leave it in the sun, don't spill drinks on it, and it's basically maintenance-free. I just pick loose hairs off the pads sometimes.

biggrin.gif
Thanks guys. First set of real cans, just want them to last me a while.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #24,810 of 48,562
:D Thanks guys. First set of real cans, just want them to last me a while.

No problem my man, I can tell that you are invested in making a satisfying choice and that you'll put a lot of attention into taking care of them. I still love mine, I hope you are blown away by yours!

(Pretty confident you will be!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back