Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #24,766 of 48,568
Man where do you find this stuff? Thank you so much! I've been searching for something like this for days and you came along and bam! Exactly what I was looking for haha.

Well I do like multiple options so if you can work your magic and find me one or two more options/brands that would be amazing! I'll try and do the same haha

It's easy, instead of looking for a headphone extension cable look for a headset extension they have two minijacks on each end. Ebay is Your friend here.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #24,767 of 48,568
  No, you can't use the Modi (DAC) with the Mixamp (DAC and Amp).  You can only have one DAC in the chain and the Mixamp is the important one because it gives you the virtual surround.  You can use the Magni to amp the Mixamp's output though, which you probably want so you can get the volumes up to a reasonable level for sound-whoring.

It is kinda possible, you connect modi to analog input on the mixamp (combo with mini optical) and use dolby pro logic. It's not the same as normal dolby digital but kinda possible

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #24,768 of 48,568
  It is kinda possible, you connect modi to analog input on the mixamp (combo with mini optical) and use dolby pro logic. It's not the same as normal dolby digital but kinda possible

If you're using the optical Modi, you'll only be getting a stereo signal from the console and sending stereo to the mixamp.  At that point, why bother using the Mixamp at all?  It's a ****ty DAC and a ****ty amp.  

I don't believe the USB Modi will work with a console, and if it does, it definitely doesn't do surround processing either so you have the same problem.

No, there's no point in shoe-horning a Modi into a console setup.  Mixamp and another amp is the best you're going to do unless you want to use an AVR.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #24,769 of 48,568

If you're using the optical Modi, you'll only be getting a stereo signal from the console and sending stereo to the mixamp.  At that point, why bother using the Mixamp at all?  It's a ****ty DAC and a ****ty amp.  

I don't believe the USB Modi will work with a console, and if it does, it definitely doesn't do surround processing either so you have the same problem.

No, there's no point in shoe-horning a Modi into a console setup.  Mixamp and another amp is the best you're going to do unless you want to use an AVR.

USB Modi will work, at least with PS4, so You use Modi as a dac, then you pass analogue signal through mixamp to get quasi surround processing with pro logic and then to an amp, it's ridiculous but could work

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #24,770 of 48,568
  USB Modi will work, at least with PS4, so You use Modi as a dac, then you pass analogue signal through mixamp to get quasi surround processing with pro logic and then to an amp, it's ridiculous but could work

Okay, I guess it could work, sure, but what would be the benefit over not using the Modi and getting real surround processing?

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #24,771 of 48,568
I can't confirm that as I've never heard the Beyer's.  But I know my E11 isn't that beefy of an amp... I suspect you might want a little more juice.  Then again, Evs says his DT880 is just fine right out of the DSS so you'll probably be fine too.

Yep, my 600 ohm beyers sound fine with the DSS, the DSS has A LOT of volume range (surprisingly). I prefer them when "colored" a little bit for less recessed analytical mids, I do that with a tube amp. The E11 should be okay for gaming with a 250 ohm headphone, but a "serious" desktop amp will improve good audio (music from a disc, Lossless music) even more.

So, I just went to my mailbox... and...

LOL!

I <3 AxelCloris
^__^

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #24,772 of 48,568
I'm looking at some open headphones to pair with my HP100 once I get to China.  Because both Hifiman and Soundmagic are Chinese companies, I am thinking it will be easier to try out the HE-400 and HP200, though I worry that the HE-400 would be too heavy for me.  I'm also interested in the HE-400i but I am not sure when those are coming out.

My father-in-law swears by Sennheiser and he is going to let me try out his HD650's this weekend, so I am pumped about that :)  I heard Sennheisers have a lot of "clamping force" so I'm curious how it will feel on my large head, haha.

When it comes to pure comfort, how would you (or anyone else) rate the following open headphones?

Hifiman HE-400
Soundmagic HP200
Sennheiser HD600 or HD650
AKG K712 or K612 with K712 pads
Beyerdynamic DT990
Philips Fidelio X1

These are my "end game" headphones (hence the higher price tag), as the HP100 are good enough that I don't think I need an open headphone any time soon.  Also, the huge leap in audio quality from crappy gaming headset to HP100 made me realize that headphones are worth their money... ouch my wallet! 

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #24,773 of 48,568
  So, I just went to my mailbox... and...

LOL!

What can I say? I was a tad slightly slap happy when I put the envelope together. :p Now you've shared my terrible art skills with the world.

Glad I secured the adapter to a sheet of paper, it looks like it could have busted out of the envelope otherwise.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #24,774 of 48,568
No, you can't use the Modi (DAC) with the Mixamp (DAC and Amp).  You can only have one DAC in the chain and the Mixamp is the important one because it gives you the virtual surround.  You can use the Magni to amp the Mixamp's output though, which you probably want so you can get the volumes up to a reasonable level for sound-whoring.

Ok thanks for clearing that up.... This is all new to me so It's like working in the dark.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #24,775 of 48,568
When it comes to pure comfort, how would you (or anyone else) rate the following open headphones?

Hifiman HE-400
Soundmagic HP200
Beyerdynamic DT990
Philips Fidelio X1

These are my "end game" headphones (hence the higher price tag), as the HP100 are good enough that I don't think I need an open headphone any time soon.  Also, the huge leap in audio quality from crappy gaming headset to HP100 made me realize that headphones are worth their money... ouch my wallet! 

Thanks!

Of the ones I've heard:
The HE-400 weight wasn't a pain unless in marathon listening sessions, or if you have another headphone to compare against. The headband is really thin & light, all the weight comes from the earcups. It's fascinating and funny how much the sound changes when anything is even 10cm from the earcups, and further.

Me and my thin-haired head loved the DT880 Beyer headband, the Earpads are deep enough and the metallic/silky velour feels very nice. The DT880 leaks the least and doesn't change sound almost at all if you put your hands near it, works very well if you're laying down on a pillow that isn't too plush. Clamping is moderate with the Premium headphones, these are fine but I doubt I'd like the Pro models that are less expensive.

The flat but harder headband of the K712 is very supple and does a great job conforming to my headshape, a plush baby's seatbelt cover takes care of any "hard feelings" about the headband. The K712's velour isn't silky but it is indeed soft and non-irritating, the memory foam is deep but a "just-right" stiffness that is nice with LONG listening sessions. The K712 is so very slightly heavier than the DT880, but with my headband cover I find comfort to be equal. Clamping is light but solid IMO perfect. I think the detachable cable could easily be considered a plus for comfort.
The K612 I actually felt to be slightly more comfortable to me than the K712; I didn't need the pad/cover on the headband because it was a little softer, the velour is the same, the Earpad depth was shallower but that really didn't bother my ears. I forget if there was a weight difference, but if there was the K612 would be lighter.

All the above is observations with my own opinions added, pad depth and headband may bother you less/more. For example, Mad Lust Envy hates pleather and thus the Beyer headband causes sweat for him (warmer environ in Florida probably doesn't help), and he had the reverse opinion about which AKG headband was more comfortable.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #24,776 of 48,568

Hifiman HE-400
Soundmagic HP200
Beyerdynamic DT990
Philips Fidelio X1

Thanks!

The only ones of those I've used is the X1.  I have the Q701, which is similar to the other AKG's but has the infamous bumps.

X1 - Decently comfortable.  The pads are soft, fuzzy memory foam and they're comfortable for as long as you like.  I find them to be a little warm (temperature, not sound), but not closed-headphone warm.  I also think it's a bit on the heavy side, though nothing serious.  Clamping can be an issue for some, but I heard you can gently bend the metal to relieve the clamping a bit.

Q701 - Very comfortable.  The pads are soft and fuzzy and very deep and wide.  They feel super light and airy and cool when switching from the X1.  The headband bumps are an issue for some.  For me, they can become an issue after a couple hours straight, but shifting them forward or back a little relieves the pressure just fine.  I've recently put the baby carseat pad on it and the discomfort is gone completely.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #24,777 of 48,568
What can I say? I was a tad slightly slap happy when I put the envelope together. :p Now you've shared my terrible art skills with the world.

Glad I secured the adapter to a sheet of paper, it looks like it could have busted out of the envelope otherwise.

Smart move taping it to the sheet. It was busting out of the envelope when it arrived.

You're a wonderful artist! :p

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #24,778 of 48,568
Haha I was wondering this as well.  It's funny when people think they can insult others just because they tell them not to take it personally :)

On topic, I'm looking at some open headphones to pair with my HP100 once I get to China.  Because both Hifiman and Soundmagic are Chinese companies, I am thinking it will be easier to try out the HE-400 and HP200, though I worry that the HE-400 would be too heavy for me.  I'm also interested in the HE-400i but I am not sure when those are coming out.

My father-in-law swears by Sennheiser and he is going to let me try out his HD650's this weekend, so I am pumped about that :)  I heard Sennheisers have a lot of "clamping force" so I'm curious how it will feel on my large head, haha.

Hifiman HE-400
Soundmagic HP200
Beyerdynamic DT990
Philips Fidelio X1

Thanks!

Go for the one in bold print! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back