Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #24,826 of 48,568
Jeez, you guys are going to make me grab this Humble Bundle aren't you?  I am going to have a ton of extra keys.  I'll post here to see if anyone wants em...

Oh and I've been waffling on Hitman GO since it came to Android.  But if Axel votes for it, I might have to grab it.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #24,827 of 48,568
  Jeez, you guys are going to make me grab this Humble Bundle aren't you?  I am going to have a ton of extra keys.  I'll post here to see if anyone wants em...

Oh and I've been waffling on Hitman GO since it came to Android.  But if Axel votes for it, I might have to grab it.

I was given the game to play during one of my press meetings at PAX East this year. I have to say that I wasn't expecting much but once I completed a few levels the game really became addicting. And I love the challenge modes where you try not to alert or try not to take out any guards.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #24,828 of 48,568
Before I found Head-Fi, I was a regular at a certain video game forum that focused on procuring games and software as cheap as possible (though always through legal means and never through piracy, so usually this was through bundle deals, Steam sales, etc).  I enjoyed that forum a lot, but it seemed like most regulars enjoyed pooping on games, especially if they were popular.  Overall the atmosphere was overall cynical and negative, and hearing such enjoyment over Destiny, Hitman Absolution and other games here is truly a breath of fresh air.  Video games and music are a hobby we are supposed to enjoy, but sometimes I feel like people forget this and want to make sure other people know that the game THEY like is actually a horrible pile of manure.

In other news, I just finished The Last of Us Ep 5 and The Walking Dead Ep 4 the other day.  I don't think their audio mix is anything to write home about, so my new headphones didn't improve my experience tremendously, but I still enjoyed the more immersive feeling I had in the world.  I plan to play Homefront or Metal Gear Rising next, both of which should hopefully offer a better audio mix for me to enjoy the HP100's with :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #24,829 of 48,568

I was given the game to play during one of my press meetings at PAX East this year. I have to say that I wasn't expecting much but once I completed a few levels the game really became addicting. And I love the challenge modes where you try not to alert or try not to take out any guards.

Oh speaking of which, anyone else going to PAX Prime this year?  We can have a mini Head-fi meet!  This will be my 6th one in 7 years (missed one when my son was born, but he hasn't missed any!)

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #24,830 of 48,568

Oh speaking of which, anyone else going to PAX Prime this year?  We can have a mini Head-fi meet!  This will be my 6th one in 7 years (missed one when my son was born, but he hasn't missed any!)

I was planning on it but I had to cancel earlier this month. Unfortunately it came down to a lack of funds due to the issues with the house. I may still be making my way out to Seattle later this year. Currently my next planned event is RMAF in October.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #24,831 of 48,568
:)
I can't believe he still has the Q701 he bought from me, lol.

And I agree. I think in his situation, I would just sell the Q701, and order some Q701 pads for the K712 so he can basically have both headphones with a simple pad swap.

As for the 650, I love it, but it isnt all too great for gaming. It doesn't work as well as some others. Positional accuracy is a bit wonky with the 650. The 650 though is among my faves for all around use though. After loosening the clamp, the 650 is basically one of those headphones that I would use as my only headphone. The 650 has mids that I prefer pretty much over every other headphone that isn't the LCD2.

I'm afraid you won't be my friend anymore if I sell your headphones.

No seriously, the Q701 is... kinda... fascinating me right now. Not sure if it's burn in or the pads or what, but the bass loosened up and it is pretty strong. I know you had these for a month or two, and decided burn-in doesn't make a difference, but side-by-side these Q701 have bigger bass than the newer K712. That's why I've never done any mods to it.

Plus, I have this fantasy that someday I can share the headphone experience with someone at the same time. Weird with splitscreen games, but doable, and music and movies. But yeah, someday I'll pare down to one or two.

I'd mostly have the HD650 or 600 for relaxing to music.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #24,832 of 48,568
Switch the pads and see which has more bass. I bet your Q701 pads may have a lot of lotion and creams from your face, built up inside, from all its use over the years.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #24,833 of 48,568
For all-around usage, is there anything other than K712 that would probably suit well? I'm assuming the X1 might be one of them, but I'm trying to look into other alternatives.

Also, how does the K701/K702 compare to them?

Main reason why I'm asking this is I'm looking to get some new cans, but the K712 and X1 are kind of hard for me to go by. If there's any other ones that can match or exceed them, I might just go for them instead since they're easier for me to get. I'm currently using the HD558, which is great, but trying to look something a little more fun than that if any.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #24,834 of 48,568
  For all-around usage, is there anything other than K712 that would probably suit well? I'm assuming the X1 might be one of them, but I'm trying to look into other alternatives.

Also, how does the K701/K702 compare to them?

Main reason why I'm asking this is I'm looking to get some new cans, but the K712 and X1 are kind of hard for me to go by. If there's any other ones that can match or exceed them, I might just go for them instead since they're easier for me to get. I'm currently using the HD558, which is great, but trying to look something a little more fun than that if any.

SoundMAGIC HP200, AKG K612 PRO

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #24,835 of 48,568
Hey guys!

I'm new to head-fi and this thread and i've been checking it out since i want to buy a pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've decided on the akg k712 pro's and i'm going to pair it up with the astro mixamp 2013 with my ps4 and a clip-on mic. Is it necessary to get an amp for the k712 and if i do (thinking of getting the schiit magni), would i benefit from the schiit stack (amp+dac) and will it work with the mixamp? If i get a splitter for the digital output on the ps4 wil i hear any difference?

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #24,837 of 48,568
  Hey guys!

I'm new to head-fi and this thread and i've been checking it out since i want to buy a pair of headphones for gaming/music. I've decided on the akg k712 pro's and i'm going to pair it up with the astro mixamp 2013 with my ps4 and a clip-on mic. Is it necessary to get an amp for the k712 and if i do (thinking of getting the schiit magni), would i benefit from the schiit stack (amp+dac) and will it work with the mixamp? If i get a splitter for the digital output on the ps4 wil i hear any difference?

This exact question was just asked a page or two back.  You can't use the Modi with the Mixamp (technically you can, but there's no reason to as you'll lose surround).  Your choice is better sounding stereo or surround with a sub-par DAC.  Many people, myself included, think that there's no much point in putting a good DAC on for gaming anyhow since the source material will tend to be not great.  Save your money and just stick with the Magni.

As to whether you need that, get the setup without it first.  If you can get the volume levels to where you want without the Magni then you're golden.  If you need more volume, you know what to do.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #24,838 of 48,568
This exact question was just asked a page or two back.  You can't use the Modi with the Mixamp (technically you can, but there's no reason to as you'll lose surround).  Your choice is better sounding stereo or surround with a sub-par DAC.  Many people, myself included, think that there's no much point in putting a good DAC on for gaming anyhow since the source material will tend to be not great.  Save your money and just stick with the Magni.

As to whether you need that, get the setup without it first.  If you can get the volume levels to where you want without the Magni then you're golden.  If you need more volume, you know what to do.

This is funny because I was reading his sentences and thought that I has wrote it... Funny how similar we are in regards to all this. Anyways! I thought that Madlustenvy wrote before that you WON'T loose 7.1 once it's put into play. If this is the case I would consider the Stack if it would take over the DAC from the mix amp and be better

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #24,839 of 48,568
This is funny because I was reading his sentences and thought that I has wrote it... Funny how similar we are in regards to all this. Anyways! I thought that Madlustenvy wrote before that you WON'T loose 7.1 once it's put into play. If this is the case I would consider the Stack if it would take over the DAC from the mix amp and be better

No you can't use the Modi with the Mixamp and retain surround otherwise everyone would be doing it.  The Modi is great if you want to listen to music right from your device (console or PC) but not for surround.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #24,840 of 48,568
Hey guys, 

Im wondering do the pre 2013 (older 2010/2011 year) wired mixamps work with the PS4 for sound/chat? 

Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back