Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #24,706 of 48,564
As I have said time and time again, don't compare scores from one headphone to another. Scores are reflective of a headphones own strengths and weaknesses, not how they stack up to others. I'll take a solid all rounder with 8s over a headphone that may be a 10 in one thing, and a 6 elsewhere.

Read the actual review and base judgement on seeing if what I said is to your liking. Not the actual scores themselves.

Since I do not have ALL of these headphones at the same time, there is no legitimate way to say one headphone's 9.25, is better than another's 9. The scores are more of a feeling of what the headphone brings to the table, not that the 9.25 edges out a 9 from another headphone.

AGAIN, DON'T BASE PURCHASES PURELY OFF SCORE.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #24,707 of 48,564
In the sub-$200 range you'll have to make some concessions. Requiring a detachable cable limits you. Maybe the KRK KNS8400? There's one available in the for sale thread for a great price ($70). It's a closed can that has a relatively neutral response but with a little emphasis on the low end. It's quite comfortable and it has decent positioning. It won't be amazing but that's simply because it's a closed can. The Q701 sounds decent without an amp so don't let the comments saying an amp is best deter you from considering it. An amp definitely improves it, but that's true for many headphones. Even my HE-400 sound decent without a strong amp but they certainly improve once one is added to the chain.

Is that really true though? I mean I love the the look of the q107's but I've read so often that it's a complete waste without proper amping. I'll be running them with my xbox one without a mixamp and through either a SB Omni or Xonar U3 (haven't researched that one yet, any advice?) with my laptop.

As for the KRK closed cans, I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice that much positional accuracy. But I'll look into them, thanks!

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #24,708 of 48,564
Cheers all for your replies
i have narrowed down my search to 3 headphones
I will be using it for Just for ps4 ghost competitve soundwhoreing nothing else
1 Superlux hd668b
2 Superlux 681evo
3 samsung sr850
What do you guys think out of these 3 what has best sound stage and audio postioning
I keep reading good stuff about the superlux hd668b
I will be using it with dss untill i can get a mixamp
Cheers again all for your help

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #24,709 of 48,564
1 Superlux hd668b
2 Superlux 681evo
3 samsung sr850
What do you guys think out of these 3 what has best sound stage and audio postioning

Get the superlux hd 668b amazing for audio positioning and only £30 on amazon

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #24,710 of 48,564
1 Superlux hd668b
2 Superlux 681evo
3 samsung sr850

Pretty sure the majority would agree that the ad700s have the biggest sound stage and best positioning for fps. Can you buy online???

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #24,712 of 48,564
I Cant buy ad 700 new you can only buy ad700x new from what i read ad700x isnt as good as ad700
George i knew you would recomend the superlux hd668b as thats how i heard about them from your recomendation
I have a question for you g3orge
You have q701 and hd668b but when your playing ghosts how far can you hear enemies on both sets in ft
My headphones can hear from upto about 20 ft for enemies footsteps
Hope i made sence

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #24,713 of 48,564
I Cant buy ad 700 new you can only buy ad700x new from what i read ad700x isnt as good as ad700
George i knew you would recomend the superlux hd668b as thats how i heard about them from your recomendation
I have a question for you g3orge
You have q701 and hd668b but when your playing ghosts how far can you hear enemies on both sets in ft
My headphones can hear from upto about 20 ft for enemies footsteps
Hope i made sence

I'm not sure how far in ft I can hear enemy's but if you go to my YouTube channel there's a few videos on FFA were I know exactly were every enemy is coming from even the 1s with dead silence. Obviously my q701s are better but to be honest the hd668b are not that far behind them I'm actually thinking of putting some velour pads on my 668b because they can get quite hot after a few hours.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #24,714 of 48,564
@Knel...did you read MLE ad700 review? He says according to trustworthy members of this forum, the ad700x sounds "near identical" to the ad700. There's also a new ad700 on eBay for $200 BIN. I would just go with the 700x. Who told you it sounds different/worse???

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #24,715 of 48,564
Mc lebron ive read mle reviews nearly all of them apart from his newest one hfi 15g
Think if i rember right lot of people said ad 700x and ad700 sounded same but with less soundstage sorry if im wrong cheers for your help though
Also read good things about superlux hd668b a few posts say that they had ad700x but prefered the superlux hd668b
G3org3 cheeers again for the help i will be buying thesuperlux hd668b btw i watch all your ffa videoeson ghosts i subscribed
Think your vids are brillliant especially the ffa vids as thats the game mode i play
I learned a few get holdong spots from you i love the one in freight
Cheers again all for the help

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #24,716 of 48,564
Mc lebron ive read mle reviews nearly all of them apart from his newest one hfi 15g
Think if i rember right lot of people said ad 700x and ad700 sounded same but with less soundstage sorry if im wrong cheers for your help though
Also read good things about superlux hd668b a few posts say that they had ad700x but prefered the superlux hd668b
G3org3 cheeers again for the help i will be buying thesuperlux hd668b btw i watch all your ffa videoeson ghosts i subscribed
Think your vids are brillliant especially the ffa vids as thats the game mode i play
I learned a few get holdong spots from you i love the one in freight
Cheers again all for the help

You can't go wrong with the hd668b £30 and they sound amazing. Also thanks for the sub :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #24,717 of 48,564
Sorry guys i have another question about the dss
Ok im gonna buy the superlux hd668b can the dss use an amp not sure if it can i think it cant if it can would amping it be any good for these set or using a dac
i would read mle review on it but i cant as i am using my ps4 to write these messages and i cant view the reviews from ps4 and i have no way of viewing them now
I think dss wont be able to use amp or dac as dss dosent have no input device ie red and white inputs not sure if im correct though as im only trying to remeber what ive read in the past on the reviews on this forum so sorry if my info is incorrect
Cheers again hope i made sence

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #24,718 of 48,564
Sorry guys he we go again with another question just bought the Superlux HD668B
i also bought zalman zmmic1 microphone can i use the mic on the dss
im sure it works on mixamp i hope i havent wasted my money lol it was only cheap so no biggy if it dosent
So if anybody coukd be kind enough to tell me what mic and adapter i can use to get mic working on dss on the ps4
Sorry for spamming the thread with annoying questions
Im so happy at moment after buying these headset online i feel like a kid again waiting for christmas i cant wait to rry them lol
Cheers all again for all the great help and links youve provided me

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #24,719 of 48,564
Sorry guys i have another question about the DSS
Ok I'm gonna buy the Superlux HD668B can the DSS use an amp not sure if it can i think it cant if it can would amping it be any good for these set or using a DAC
i would read mle review on it but I cant as I am using my PS4 to write these messages and I cant view the reviews from PS4 and i have no way of viewing them now
I think DSS wont be able to use amp or DAC as DSS doesn't have no input device ie red and white inputs not sure if I'm correct though as I'm only trying to remember what I've read in the past on the reviews on this forum so sorry if my info is incorrect
Cheers again hope i made sense

You could daisy chain an external headphone amplifier to the TBS DSS's headphone output, but for headphones like the HD668B, I can't see it being worth it.
You can't hook an add-on DAC to the TBS DSS

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #24,720 of 48,564
Sorry guys he we go again with another question just bought the Superlux HD668B
i also bought zalman zmmic1 microphone can i use the mic on the DSS
im sure it works on mixamp i hope i havent wasted my money lol it was only cheap so no biggy if it doesn't
So if anybody could be kind enough to tell me what mic and adapter I can use to get mic working on DSS on the PS4
Sorry for spamming the thread with annoying questions
I'm so happy at moment after buying these headset online i feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas I cant wait to rry them lol
Cheers all again for all the great help and links you've provided me

I would assume the PS4 uses it's USB connection as a mic input.
So I'm assuming you need a cable with a USB connection at one end, with a DAC chip built into the cable and a 3.5mm jack at the other end?
To connect the DSS's line-output (mic out) to the USB connection on the PS4.
Unless the PS4 has a 3.5mm or RCA line-input? (for your mic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back