Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #24,691 of 48,568
Hey all,

I'm looking for headphones that have a detachable cable, won't require an amp and have excellent positional accuracy/clarity and cues for FPS gaming.

Headphones I have already considered and rejected for various reasons:
Sennheiser HD558/598
Philips Fidelio X1

I'm now leaning towards the Superlux HD668B with various mods but its not ideal.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention, preferably under $200.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #24,692 of 48,568
  Hey all,

I'm looking for headphones that have a detachable cable, won't require an amp and have excellent positional accuracy/clarity and cues for FPS gaming.

Headphones I have already considered and rejected for various reasons:
Sennheiser HD558/598
Philips Fidelio X1

I'm now leaning towards the Superlux HD668B with various mods but its not ideal.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers

Soundmagic HP200?

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #24,694 of 48,568
Hey everyone, I've been listening to the HP100 with SB Omni extensively the past couple days, mostly with music rather than gaming as I haven't had much time to play anything.  I did use it with Borderlands 2, Dynasty Warriors 8 and Mercenary Kings though, and they sounded great overall.

However, I noticed something while listening to music.  I have kind of strange tastes in music, and I mostly listen to classical or "electric" strings (think Bond and Lindsey Stirling) along with musicals (Les Mis, Wicked), game soundtracks (Transistor, Shovel Knight), and occasional rock or guitar (Joe Satriani).  All the vocals sound excellent on the HP100, and I've come to love the subdued but accurate bass response as well.  However, sometimes I feel the highs (especially on classical strings) sound a bit shrill... is this "sibilance"?  Has anyone else encountered this on the HP100's?

My Shure 1540 pads should come in tomorrow, so I'm hoping they will improve the highs a bit.

I'm new at this so I'm still getting to know my preferred sound signature.  I think I wouldn't mind a bit more mid-bass and less harsh highs, but I'm not sure yet since I've yet to make any comparisons.

I hope to buy some open headphones later, probably after I finish my move to China in a couple months.  I'd like to get some headphones that will last me several years, so I'm currently looking at the $200-$350 price range.  I'm still doing some research on a bunch of headphones in that range atm, but it's difficult to figure out my "dream" phone since everyone's preferences are so different :)  I may come back with 3-4 after I've narrowed them down and figured out my preferred priorities in order to ask for some recommendations.

Thanks everyone!  I only joined a week ago and my wallet already hurts!  ...but my ears are forever grateful :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #24,697 of 48,568
  That is a great suggestion! I was hoping to find something below $200 though (I'll edit my post) but I might be willing to get them. Any less expensive options on the top of your head? Thanks!

In the sub-$200 range you'll have to make some concessions. Requiring a detachable cable limits you. Maybe the KRK KNS8400? There's one available in the for sale thread for a great price ($70). It's a closed can that has a relatively neutral response but with a little emphasis on the low end. It's quite comfortable and it has decent positioning. It won't be amazing but that's simply because it's a closed can. The Q701 sounds decent without an amp so don't let the comments saying an amp is best deter you from considering it. An amp definitely improves it, but that's true for many headphones. Even my HE-400 sound decent without a strong amp but they certainly improve once one is added to the chain.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #24,698 of 48,568
So I read through some headphone reviews but I still unsure which one to get. I'm a competitive FPS gamer and I was looking at the K612 Pros and the HD598s or the AD700x and AD900x which aren't in this review. I was wondering which one is the best for competitive gaming and music.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #24,699 of 48,568
What portable DAC/AMPs are you guys using? I'm thinking about getting the JDS LABs C5D, preferrably something stronger as it's supposed to be too weak for headphones like the HD 650. 

My only portable amp is the E12, but I still prefer using a desktop amp. I'm actually pleased at how well my DSS drives my 600 ohm DT880 on it's own: low distortion, but I have to have the volume almost all the way up. Problem is, the DT880 sounds TOO precise and the lean mids leave me feeling bored. I haven't given up on it yet, and it's definitely god-tier for gaming, but separation is so clear that music sounds like a bunch of instruments playing at the same time.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am a huge a-hole.  I just want to scare away any noobies by being too mean too soon.

In other news, any PS4 owners streaming Destiny right now?  I need a fix until I can get home and fire up the PS3 beta (to hold me over until Xbone beta).  @Evshrug
 I'm lookin at you!

Sorry bud! I posted a cool clip to my Facebook page tho:

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #24,701 of 48,568
  So I read through some headphone reviews but I still unsure which one to get. I'm a competitive FPS gamer and I was looking at the K612 Pros and the HD598s or the AD700x and AD900x which aren't in this review. I was wondering which one is the best for competitive gaming and music.

I would guess the ATH-AD900X would offer good music quality and do fairly well with FPS gaming.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Sennheiser HD558s if you want to save some cash (not as musical as the AD900Xs).

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #24,702 of 48,568

I would guess the ATH-AD900X would offer good music quality and do fairly well with FPS gaming.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Sennheiser HD558s if you want to save some cash (not as musical as the AD900Xs).

I heard the AD900x don't have a lot of bass. I like to listen to dubstep and such and I some bass in my music.

I will be plugging them into my motherboard, I'm able to drive the K612 because my mother has a onboard amp, which can drive up to 600ohm headphones.

What about the K612? Are they as good as the AD900x for gaming and music? Or will the AD900x have the lead in gaming and K612 in music? 

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #24,703 of 48,568
Guys i read the reviews on first page and am thinking of buying out of these headsets
I only wont the headset for competitve gaming on ps4 cod ghosts not for anything else
I thinking these headsets btw i will be using it with my dss i would like your opinions
Superlux hd668b few people recomened these 40 pound amazon very cheap
Akg 612 pro mle rated it 9 -10 these are what i was thinking of buying 100 pound amazon i like this price
Ad700x mle rated older version 10 - 10 i think sells for 200 pound i think very dear
Hd 598 mle rated 9.25 -10 amazon around 150 pound ok price for me
Hd 558 heard thes are good cant rember price but all were cheap and second hand
Akg 701 mle rated these 10-10 but he said these were the ones with 7 bumps he also calls them 702 so not sure what one it is also if there the 701 cant seem to find where to buy them
sorry for making this a long boring post
I would love the q701 or akg 702 annies but they are both out of my price range

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #24,705 of 48,568
Sorry but i want oto add these headsets to the list
samsung sr850
Superlux 681
Superlux 681evo also
Superlux hd668b

For me the ad700 is always #1 for pure competitive gaming. Then again I've never used any of The other headphones on your list.

From reading it seems for pure competitive fps its...

1. Ad700
2. k701/2

Can't go wrong with either one of those.

3. Hd598, AKG 712 in a close third and fourth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back