Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #24,676 of 48,562
  So just want to clear a few things up:

1 - Every sound card has an amp.  You can't listen to sound without one.  The amp on the SBZ/Omni is decent for a sound card, but a dedicated headphone amp will 99% of the time be an improvement.

2 - The difference between CMSS-3D and SBX is there but I wouldn't say it "performs a lot better".  Personally, I had a lot of reservations buying a discontinued sound card that costs a lot of money just for a different surround processor that is only better if the game can take advantage of it.  The SBZ/Omni should be just fine, but if you want the best of the best, you're into diminishing returns territory (a lot more money for a little more improvement).

I don't have any experience with those headphones so I can't recommend anything, but wanted to make sure you were clear on the sound card stuff.

First thank you for the replay, second I need a sound card not just for my headphone also for my 5.1 speakers, also I am afraid my budget is limited so I cant step into the diminishing returns territory lol, is a dedicated headphone amp really worth it ? I mean I see the term "you need an amp to drive it" and quite honestly I am not sure if I understand, I googled around and to my knowledge the headphone amp basically allow for higher possible volumes since some high end headphones have high impedance and such. 

No the thing that I dont understand is, should I get a sound card, a headphonr amp, or both, and note I'll be only using my computer not a portable device, so I am not quite sure how my headphones will be connected to sound card and my amp exactly, what is the source ? or will the amp on a soundcard like (sound blaster Z/OMNI/Xonar DG) will be sufficient. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #24,678 of 48,562
  Ah PurpleAngel, just the man I need, I listened to you before and the result was a major win :D
I do plan to get a sound card like the Sound Blaster Z which supposedly comes with an amp so I don't know if that works, or the Omni usb sound card (I plan to use my 5.1 speakers too), I have the Asus Xonar DS and I don't like it tbh, so the sound card is also confusing me, because I was told in the creative Z thread that the Xtreme Gamer sound card preforms a lot better because it uses CMSS-3D rather than SBX which gives better gaming experience, I don't want to just get a  gaming sound card only I also want my music to sound good too
hmm would you recommend the HD558 for for a good all rounder and its a lot cheaper than the other options, but Beyer headphones look pretty tempting tbh haha, I just want something to be good for competitive gaming and fun sounding, a lot of people told me that the HD558 might be a bit dull, also  I use the HTF-600 and I thought I make an upgrade.

The older audio processor EMU20K used in the Xtreme Gamer, does come with more built in hardware features/functions, then the newer SoundCore3D audio processor used in the Z series.
When the sound card like the Xtreme Gamer came out computer CPU processors only had one core and was slower then what we have today.
I would assume that now that PC Win computers are coming with 4 or 6 core processors running a fair bit faster, Creative newer drivers (SBX) could be written to do a lot of functions running off the main CPU. So say for sure one might be noticeably better then the other, might be difficult to say (at least for me). 

With CMSS-3D vs SBX, try asking here.
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You could use the HD558 for gaming and then switch to the HTF-600 for when you need more bass in the audio.
If you feel you can budget for a Beyer (DT880/DT990) for use with the Sound Blaster Z, go for it.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #24,679 of 48,562
  First thank you for the replay, second I need a sound card not just for my headphone also for my 5.1 speakers, also I am afraid my budget is limited so I cant step into the diminishing returns territory lol, is a dedicated headphone amp really worth it ? I mean I see the term "you need an amp to drive it" and quite honestly I am not sure if I understand, I googled around and to my knowledge the headphone amp basically allow for higher possible volumes since some high end headphones have high impedance and such. 

No the thing that I dont understand is, should I get a sound card, a headphonr amp, or both, and note I'll be only using my computer not a portable device, so I am not quite sure how my headphones will be connected to sound card and my amp exactly, what is the source ? or will the amp on a soundcard like (sound blaster Z/OMNI/Xonar DG) will be sufficient. 

For gaming, a dedicated headphone amp is not generally worth it EXCEPT if you have hard to drive headphones and a Mixamp and a microphone.  Since you'll be gaming on the PC with a soundcard with a much better amp than the Mixamp, you don't need a dedicated amp as well.  Amps will, however, tend to improve your sound quality overall.  If you plan on doing any music listening, you might want an amp down the road.

So yeah, if you're just gaming on your PC, get a SBZ/Omni and call it a day for now.  Later you can add an amp to scale up your headphones' SQ.

And I'm not going to get into "amps just give higher volumes".  Suffice it to say, it's not really the case that that's all they do.  Something like my Q701 will sound better at the same volume with an amp than without.  There are reasons for it that I don't fully understand (science!).

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #24,680 of 48,562
  Hey, what do u guys think about the creative aurvana live vs superlux hd668b for fps gaming?? Which one has a larger soundstage? Looking to buy one of these 

CAL is a closed HP. Get it if you like a closed HP. Generally, open or semi-open HP like HD668B has a larger soundstage.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #24,681 of 48,562
  Hi, im new here and i have some doubts.
Im used to have a AD700, i was very happy with him, but unfortunaly he stopeed to works 1 side. Im looking for a new headphone, i already read a lot about that but i still cannot decide what headphone i should buy. Im thinking in 3 options, AD700X, HD558 and HD598. The 700x and 558 are in the same price, the 598 is 50$ more, my focus is ALL in FPS games, i discussed with a friend and he told me the new ad700x use new sound drivers wich make the soundstage worst than the older ad700.
Anyway, i want to know the best headphone i can get with $200 for FPS games, preferably if i can buy on Bestbuy or other big store in USA (im from Brazil, i will ask for a friend to bring to me).

The other factor i consider is the comfort!

I guess thats it, thanks for any answer!!

Does not NEED to be on bestbuy, it can be in another big store on Miami

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #24,682 of 48,562
  Hey, what do u guys think about the Creative Aurvana Live vs superlux hd668b for fps gaming?? Which one has a larger sound stage? Looking to buy one of these 

The CALs have small cups, so the diaphragm seems to only sit a few miillimeter from my ear, and my ears will only last about 15 minutes while listening to them.
Then I have to take the CALs off to give my ears a rest.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #24,684 of 48,562

The older audio processor EMU20K used in the Xtreme Gamer, does come with more built in hardware features/functions, then the newer SoundCore3D audio processor used in the Z series.
When the sound card like the Xtreme Gamer came out computer CPU processors only had one core and was slower then what we have today.
I would assume that now that PC Win computers are coming with 4 or 6 core processors running a fair bit faster, Creative newer drivers (SBX) could be written to do a lot of functions running off the main CPU. So say for sure one might be noticeably better then the other, might be difficult to say (at least for me). 

With CMSS-3D vs SBX, try asking here.
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You could use the HD558 for gaming and then switch to the HTF-600 for when you need more bass in the audio.
If you feel you can budget for a Beyer (DT880/DT990) for use with the Sound Blaster Z, go for it.

I use the HTF-600 for everything, so I thought I upgrade to a better all rounder , AKG headphones are a little bit overpriced for me at the moment so now I just need to decide between the HD558 vs DT990.

-I heard people say the DT990 can get a little fatiguing because of the bloated bass that could overshadow some of the small details, at the same time everyone says they are more fun than the HD558, having you used both what are your thoughts ? to put it in a summery I guess :
1-small Details are very important 
2-Comfortable for long hours of use, I hate that feeling of taking the headphones off to rest your ears.
3-I listen to all kinds of music so I guess a fun sounding headphones.
4-balanced bass, because too much bass gives me headache.
5-my budget is 150$ for the headphones it covers both of these, I could take another suggestions in that price range I guess.

another note, I decided to get the sound blaster Z anyway, which should be enough to drive the Beyer, is this just a sound card for gaming ? I mean is it good for music as well.

And again Thank you guys for the help :)

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #24,685 of 48,562

The CALs have small cups, so the diaphragm seems to only sit a few miillimeter from my ear, and my ears will only last about 15 minutes while listening to them.
Then I have to take the CALs off to give my ears a rest.

People also said the hd668b is uncomfortable but i guess i can live with tissue paper under the pad. How good does the CALs sounds like compared to the hd668b or whatever under 100$ HP?

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #24,686 of 48,562
Thanks Change for the Destiny beta code, and also thanks to Evs for the offer. The game downloaded about 30 minutes before bed time, but I was able to play the first level.

Looks like Destiny will be a fantastic game to demo virtual surround with, as I was getting very impressive audio cues with my Mixamp and Ultrasone 15G.

As for the game itself, not too impressed with it's graphics and gameplay (really just Halo with a new skin, and Borderlands style system), but I can see the appeal. If you love Halo, you'll love Destiny. It plays exactly the same, barring a few design differences obviously. They call this game Halo: Destiny, and it'd make all the sense in the world.

I guess I just expected too much out of next gen.

Not hating on the game. Its definitely gonna be a blast to fans of those types of games.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #24,688 of 48,562
Hi, i hope you (someone) can help me with my problem. So iam looking for headphones (my first pair in fact). I dont really have a real budget only a maximum amount i want so spent which would be around 160€ (NOT $! :p ).

So iam looking for headphones (Over-Ear and Open) that has great positional accuracy to locate ppl in first-person shooters (mainly counter strike go) and also music but the main point is positional accuracy! But i cannot really find a good pair in this guide.

For example the AD700(x) would seem to be a great choice but start at 175€ in europe(germany).

So to make things a little bit faster. My personal favorite are the Sennheiser HD's (518 85euro, 558 130euro, 598 160euro) and i would really like to know if there are better choise in the prince range "xx to ~160€ than the Sennheiser (for example AKG k612) for competitive gaming.

And which Sennheiser HD's would you recommend if not. (Price/Performance wise)

Hopefully my english isn't too bad and you understand my problem. I really dont want to **** up my first headphone purchase :)

Edit:
Gonna post stuff here since responding all the time might be kinda spamming

Akg q701 starts at 237 euro in germany so thats no option =/ or well a very expensive one :) /akg 701 187euro, akg 702 207euro ;( )

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #24,689 of 48,562
160 euro will be about 220 usd to go for AKG Q701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back