Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #24,646 of 48,568
Jul 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #24,647 of 48,568
I thought MCC was going to be released "in time for the Holidays", which translates to "mid- to late-December".  Either way, I'll be grabbing it; this is my first Xbox and I've never played any Halo so it should be interesting.

But yeah, there are a LOT of good games coming out between Destiny and Halo MCC.  Dragon Age, Shadows of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive, FH2, Evolve, etc etc.  I didn't even list the games that I'm not interested in (CoD, Drive Club, AC Unity, etc).  I'm sure there will be distractions if Destiny doesn't hold up!  It's going to be a good autumn for gaming!!
Probably the best season for gaming I've seen in a long time. MCC is releasing on November 11th of this year. And the halo 5 beta on December 27th. I have been a big halo fan since CE so I am very excited about this.

Also pumped for sunset overdrive and evolve.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #24,649 of 48,568
Probably the best season for gaming I've seen in a long time. MCC is releasing on November 11th of this year. And the halo 5 beta on December 27th. I have been a big halo fan since CE so I am very excited about this.

Also pumped for sunset overdrive and evolve.

Oh right, I knew that it was 11/11, I was confusing it with the Halo beta.  Damn, that's a lot of amazing games in a short amount of time.  I'll likely be focusing on the multiplayer games first because they tend to get less interesting when you jump in after a month or two.  The single-player stuff like Dragon Age and Sunset Overdrive can wait...

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #24,650 of 48,568
I am just finishing my grounded run but I won't pretend this doesn't get me hyped again, especially from Polygon...
I just can't stop playing that game ^_^

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/16/5902983/the-last-of-us-remastered-ps4-preview-graphics

Along with Infamous:SS will make for first two great games...

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #24,652 of 48,568
  I am just finishing my grounded run but I won't pretend this doesn't get me hyped again, especially from Polygon...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/16/5902983/the-last-of-us-remastered-ps4-preview-graphics

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #24,653 of 48,568

I see what you did there.... Well played Martin, well played.
Doesn't go well together with green xD
Still, I am taking the 1080p version over 792p/900p whatever :p
I'd buy them for every platform!
that Xone case cracked me up xO ...

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #24,654 of 48,568

I have been primarily an xbox gamer for the past 10 years but bought a ps3 specifically for LoU and it was well worth it. The more I play it the more I think it's overtaking shadow of the colossus as my all time favorite. Wish I had a ps4 to play it on!

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #24,655 of 48,568
I have been primarily an xbox gamer for the past 10 years but bought a ps3 specifically for LoU and it was well worth it. The more I play it the more I think it's overtaking shadow of the colossus as my all time favorite. Wish I had a ps4 to play it on!

I don't have one either... But if they really use cutscene models for gameplay at 1080p/60... I just might have to...

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #24,656 of 48,568
  This is correct.  The HP100 has pretty neutral bass for the most part, but it actually has a sub-bass hump.  Once you start hearing that, you're going to love them I think.  Certain music will really bring it out, like electronic.  Go listen to something off Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" if you want to hear the bass shine.  (And thanks to @AxelCloris for the recommendation on that awesome album!)

Agreed that the cable sucks.  I tried finding a few replacements and nothing quite fit right.  I know @Change is Good basially hacked up his Boompro to work with it.  Eventually I just got used to it... *shrug*

If you try the pads, let me know what you think.  I've heard good things, but haven't felt the need to upgrade mine just yet.  Change might be able to give you some tips on getting the stock pads off.

Pad removal is pretty standard. I do recommend getting the Shure alcantaras on the SMs for much better comfort.

As for the cable, yea, hacked up the BoomPro and also a VMODA audio only cable.

The audio only cable was much easier to mod since it only required piece of the rubber to be cut from the jack end.

I actually like the coiled cable for desk use, however, so I traded my stock HP200 cable (straight) for one.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #24,657 of 48,568
After hooking up the SB Omni with my new HP100, I am extremely pleased with the quality of these headphones!
The tracks that earlier sounded a bit muted now sound much more vibrant at only 30% volume with the Omni.
And even my wife, who has no idea about audio or gaming, tried on both pairs of headphones as I played Escala - Palladio and Bravely Default Live Concert, and her remarks were that the HP100 sounded more "airy" and "open" and that she agreed that overall sound quality was much better.

Thank you all for your recommendations!  I'm still debating whether to replace the HP100 pads; I tried removing the stock pads but I couldn't figure out how to do it without damaging the headphones themselves.

A couple questions:
1) What settings do I use on the Omni to allow for SBX virtual surround in games?  I know it's different than DH so it doesn't require a Dolby 5.1 signal, but the "Cinematic" tab allows me to check either "No encoder" or "Dolby Digital Live."  Does this setting matter, or do I merely need to worry about the "Surround" option in the main tab?
2) Stillhart (and any other HP100 users), do you change the EQ at all for your headphones?  If so, do you have any overall recommendations?  I messed with the Omni presets a bit and I think I enjoy the "Classical" preset the most, but I don't really mind zero preset either... just curious.

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #24,658 of 48,568

Thank you all for your recommendations!  I'm still debating whether to replace the HP100 pads; I tried removing the stock pads but I couldn't figure out how to do it without damaging the headphones themselves.

Pretty standard, as I mentioned...

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #24,659 of 48,568
  After hooking up the SB Omni with my new HP100, I am extremely pleased with the quality of these headphones!
The tracks that earlier sounded a bit muted now sound much more vibrant at only 30% volume with the Omni.
And even my wife, who has no idea about audio or gaming, tried on both pairs of headphones as I played Escala - Palladio and Bravely Default Live Concert, and her remarks were that the HP100 sounded more "airy" and "open" and that she agreed that overall sound quality was much better.

A couple questions:
1) What settings do I use on the Omni to allow for SBX virtual surround in games?  I know it's different than DH so it doesn't require a Dolby 5.1 signal, but the "Cinematic" tab allows me to check either "No encoder" or "Dolby Digital Live."  Does this setting matter, or do I merely need to worry about the "Surround" option in the main tab?
2) Stillhart (and any other HP100 users), do you change the EQ at all for your headphones?  If so, do you have any overall recommendations?  I messed with the Omni presets a bit and I think I enjoy the "Classical" preset the most, but I don't really mind zero preset either... just curious.

Thanks!

1 - Don't worry about the cinematic tab, that's only if you're piping a Dolby signal over optical to something like a Mixamp (which you'll never do).  You just want to turn SBX Surround on in the first tab.  I think you also want to tell it you're using headphones.

1a - Don't forget to update the firmware and software on your Omni if you haven't yet.  Makes a difference when you start getting fancy with adding more components to your audio chain.  :wink:

1b - If you setup your audio player to use WASPI exclusive mode, you will never have to worry about turning off your surround processing.  The audio player will just bypass all processing.

2 - I don't use the HP100 at home with the Omni.  At work I use an Audioengine D3 and no EQ.  When I'm on the road, I like to use the lower bass boost setting on my Fiio E11.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #24,660 of 48,568
Oh great, thanks for the pics!  For some reason I thought I had to take the earcups apart... I didn't know I could just remove the pleather itself :)  Thanks again... sorry, I am really new at this.
I know that for MLE's Astro Mixamp, he says we need to set the game audio settings to 5.1 or whatever surround mode it offers.  I assume this is the same for SBX as well, right?  And then I just turn on the SBX Pro Studio in the control panel?

I returned my Xonar U3 the other day, but I do wish the Omni had a convenient button to toggle SBX on/off like the U3 did.  Then again, the Omni impresses me in every other way over the U3 (including amp, as the U3 barely made a difference for my Sony headset, build quality, and convenience of use).  I like the big volume knob and the fact you can just click it to mute the volume :)

Guess I am going to order the 1540 pads today!

edit: @Stillhart, thanks for your advice again!  I did try to update the drivers and firmware but I notice they are all up to date (I bought the Omni new from Amazon).  Thanks for the EQ advice, I'm going to try it out for a while with no EQ and then see if I still prefer the Classical presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back