Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #24,616 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy

Did you ever get around to trying DT880 pads on the MA900? Just got these in and agree they are very comfortable, but could see it being out of this world with even more comfortable pads. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #24,617 of 48,562
I also haven't had the chance to play TLOU as I only had an Xbox 360 last gen. Went with the PS4 this gen and I will be buying the Remastered version for sure. Seems like the perfect game for positional audio and I can't wait to be immersed in the game with my setup.

On the PS3, it was one of the few single-player games (well there's MP in TLoU, but it isn't very position dependant) that really benefits people  with good audio setup.

Just being able to hear the clickers or runners/human enemies patroling in many areas of the game has saved my hide more times than I can remember. This is on the hardest difficulty too (Survivor), where a single spot from an enemy is most of the time game over. Not only that, the good positional cues help to improve immersiveness, because you're always hearing someting just around the corner.

So yeah, if the claims are true that the Remastered version would be even better, that's very good news.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #24,618 of 48,562
What portable DAC/AMPs are you guys using? I'm thinking about getting the JDS LABs C5D, preferrably something stronger as it's supposed to be too weak for headphones like the HD 650. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #24,620 of 48,562
On the PS3, it was one of the few single-player games (well there's MP in TLoU, but it isn't very position dependant) that really benefits people  with good audio setup.

Just being able to hear the clickers or runners/human enemies patroling in many areas of the game has saved my hide more times than I can remember. This is on the hardest difficulty too (Survivor), where a single spot from an enemy is most of the time game over. Not only that, the good positional cues help to improve immersiveness, because you're always hearing someting just around the corner.

So yeah, if the claims are true that the Remastered version would be even better, that's very good news.

+1. It's an amazing experience with my HE-560. Don't forget to switch from standard to maximum range in the options. I keep the central speaker size to small there. The only mode that works with DSPs is Dolby Digital 5.1 which is converted to DH.
But this really is one of the best sound experience games out there. Hard to imagine it being aby better...

As for difficulty, try grounded mode... Yeah... Just reached winter and it is not easy.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #24,623 of 48,562
Lol I just press record and point it at my setup. I didn't even know you could change it.

Setup is very nice but the damn video is unwatchable, I guess You need to rotate the ipad 90 degrees.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #24,625 of 48,562
can someone recommend and all rounder headphone for me, I plan to use it for gaming mainly but I still want my music to sound good, I listen to all sorts of music btw and I watch movies from time to time.

-prefer it to be comfy (not leather) for long hours of use, and my budget is 200$
-hearing small details in games like footsteps is very important to me (CS:GO) 

I have my eyes set on these so far:
1-HD558 (open but I heard it lacks bass)
2-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (closed but I heard the soundstage on these is pretty good)
3-Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 (heard this one is pretty bad) 
4-Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (semi-open)

if you guys have any other suggestions or something in my budget that would be great.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #24,627 of 48,562
My little sister is getting her PS4 in a few weeks so I decided to gift her a Sony MA-900 with the advice to be extra careful and my Mixamp setup. Looking for replacement pads now and what I google is part number 429674101. Prices for them are floating from 20€ to 40€. Quite strange. 

Anyway, those MA-900 should tickle all boxes for her. The remaining question will be the microphone solution. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #24,628 of 48,562
  My little sister is getting her PS4 in a few weeks so I decided to gift her a Sony MA-900 with the advice to be extra careful and my Mixamp setup. Looking for replacement pads now and what I google is part number 429674101. Prices for them are floating from 20€ to 40€. Quite strange. 

Anyway, those MA-900 should tickle all boxes for her. The remaining question will be the microphone solution. 

She'll definitely like the MA900s. They're great.
As for the mic, the Blue Snowball is an amazing  entry level desktop condenser mic. I use it for Skype and other things and it's just amazing.
Then there're mics that can be attached to the MAs or desktop classic dynamic mics but can't really help you there.
Lots of useful info elsewhere though [google and Amazon are great or maybe round here someone else can help :]]

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #24,630 of 48,562
Do you happen to have an amp? If so I would recommend the Q701s. They can easily be made a bit more bassy (or fun) with either a change of pads or removing a small piece of tape that covers the bass port. They fit within your budget (on amazon new or used) but would definite be outside of it if you don't have a headphone amp. A lot of ppl seem to like the 880s, but I'm not sure if they require any extra juice or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back