Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #24,421 of 48,578
Foam tips are the only tips I can live with on IEMs, but on every IEM I've owned, it has killed the highs, and made things overly bassy. And yes, I've inserted them correctly. I just have bad luck with IEMs.

Yep that's the way it is for me. Foams ruin the sound of my GR07 so I choose the slightly more uncomfortable silicone tips. My FX-40s had really prominent highs so the foams actually made them a bit more balanced which improved the sound.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #24,422 of 48,578
Don't forget that some of us prefer to have open headphones because we can't be completely isolated.  I need to hear if my baby is crying or if my wife needs me.  She HATES when she's talking to me and I can't hear her.

Also, I haven't yet heard an IEM that sounds as good as my Q701... ever.  That said, I've never heard a real IEM like the Etymolics.  One day, I'll drop the cash, but I'm in no rush.

I get angry when people try to talk to me when I have headphones on lol. I can't hear them and yet they'll just stare at me ant try to talk. I prefer open headphones more so for comfort. There's less heat buildup because of the velours and open headphones aren't as tough on sensitive ears.

As for nothing stacking up to your Q701, I haven't heard anything better than my K712 yet. Then again, I've only heard IEMs, on-ears and over ears that are around half the price of my K712s :p

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #24,423 of 48,578

Have you some cloud about Q701 vs MA900?

Never heard the MA-900 as they were discontinued before I got into head-fi and they're impossible to find at a reasonable price now.

I get angry when people try to talk to me when I have headphones on lol. I can't hear them and yet they'll just stare at me ant try to talk. I prefer open headphones more so for comfort. There's less heat buildup because of the velours and open headphones aren't as tough on sensitive ears.

As for nothing stacking up to your Q701, I haven't heard anything better than my K712 yet. Then again, I've only heard IEMs, on-ears and over ears that are around half the price of my K712s
tongue.gif

I specifically mentioned IEM's as I'm sure there are plenty of headphones in the $400+ range that sound better.  Hell I'm sure there are IEM's in that range that blow them out of the water too, but I've never heard them and probably won't until I win the lottery.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #24,424 of 48,578

Never heard the MA-900 as they were discontinued before I got into head-fi and they're impossible to find at a reasonable price now.

I specifically mentioned IEM's as I'm sure there are plenty of headphones in the $400+ range that sound better.  Hell I'm sure there are IEM's in that range that blow them out of the water too, but I've never heard them and probably won't until I win the lottery.

You can get the Etymotic HF2/3/5 for about $70 used. They measure pretty much the same as the ER-4P and the ER-4P has detail retrieval equivalent to the Sennheiser HD 600.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #24,425 of 48,578

You can get the Etymotic HF2/3/5 for about $70 used. They measure pretty much the same as the ER-4P and the ER-4P has detail retrieval equivalent to the Sennheiser HD 600.

I don't actually want one in the slightest.  I am pretty happy with my Q701 for home and HP100 for work and travel.  I'd be worried about damaging or losing hose teeny little IEM's.  Not to mention used IEMs are gross, even with new tips.  

Don't try to convince me, you're wasting your breath.  I'm very hard-headed.  
k701smile.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #24,427 of 48,578

I'm toying with the idea of ordering some IE80s but I highly doubt I will until I get into the $1000+ headphone territory (which will be a long time from now or never) lol. Just comparing size makes IEMs appear as a waste of money compared to headphones. They're so easily misplaced, forgotten, damaged, etc. I have my current IEMs sitting in a Pelican 1010 case when I don't use them.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #24,428 of 48,578
Gaming with customs is an excellent experience, I will say. No need for foam tips since it's molded to my canals. Great detail and clarity with a decent soundstage. It's not as big as a nice open headphone, sure, but it's great considering it's an IEM. I know Change loves his Sonys for gaming as well.

The big issue is that customs are expensive. I think there are a couple in the $200-400 range though. The great noise isolation and comfort makes me want a pair.

I don't actually want one in the slightest.  I am pretty happy with my Q701 for home and HP100 for work and travel.  I'd be worried about damaging or losing hose teeny little IEM's.  Not to mention used IEMs are gross, even with new tips.  

Don't try to convince me, you're wasting your breath.  I'm very hard-headed.  :k701smile:

I tend to take many precautions with my IEMs. I rarely throw them in my pocket, keep them in a case, clean my ears, etc. It's a hassle but I guess it's worth it to extend the life of the IEM.

I agree with IEMs being gross. I'm reluctant to let any friends use mine and I don't want to use anyone else's. Plus, cleaning my ears every day just sucks.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #24,429 of 48,578
The big issue is that customs are expensive. I think there are a couple in the $200-400 range though. The great noise isolation and comfort makes me want a pair.
I tend to take many precautions with my IEMs. I rarely throw them in my pocket, keep them in a case, clean my ears, etc. It's a hassle but I guess it's worth it to extend the life of the IEM.
I agree with IEMs being gross. I'm reluctant to let any friends use mine and I don't want to use anyone else's. Plus, cleaning my ears every day just sucks.

Yeah, customs can be quite expensive. But there are cheaper methods to get them. There's a company in Florida that will re-shell universal IEMs for about $95. Or you can buy single or dual drivers to save some money as well. Mine cost about $325 once all was said and done. I bought the CIEM second hand and had them re-shelled. Factor in the cost of my impressions and shipping and it's still about $200 cheaper than buying from the manufacturer directly. Isolation is second to none I've heard and on-par with the Etymotic HF3 that I had a couple years ago. And that's even with the special high-isolation Comply tips.

I clean my ears daily. It's a habit and compulsive. I feel unclean if I don't do it. Heck, I keep Q-tips at work just in case I get that feeling any time throughout the day. But then again I've been cleaning them daily since I began mixing audio when I was 9 so I'm definitely used to it by this point. And with a custom you'll never need to share your IEMs with anyone since it's physically impossible to do so.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #24,430 of 48,578
Gaming with customs is an excellent experience, I will say. No need for foam tips since it's molded to my canals. Great detail and clarity with a decent soundstage. It's not as big as a nice open headphone, sure, but it's great considering it's an IEM. I know Change loves his Sonys for gaming as well.

Yes I do! :D

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #24,432 of 48,578
I've had both the GR07 MK2 and GR07 BE... preferred the BE. With that said, these sonys blow them away.

As for tips, I recently bought some ortofons with a wider bore. It opens the soundstage even more, while taming the bass a bit. The Sony tips are too small at the bore and tend to sound slightly congested after switching.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #24,433 of 48,578
I've had both the GR07 MK2 and GR07 BE... preferred the BE. With that said, these sonys blow them away.

As for tips, I recently bought some ortofons with a wider bore. It opens the soundstage even more, while taming the bass a bit. The Sony tips are too small at the bore and tend to sound slightly congested after switching.

I do enjoy my Bass Editions quite a bit. The thing is, the Sony's are double the price so it would be expected that the GR07s are blown away :p

I use the Sony hybrid tips mostly on my GR07s. I read through the GR07 tips thread and someone mentioned that flipping the comply tips around (so that the part that would be in your ear is facing the IEM instead) actually helps. I tried it and it actually worked! You can feel the tubing in your ear a bit at first but the muffled and muddy sound goes away and is improved slightly to my ears over the hybrids.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #24,434 of 48,578
I do enjoy my Bass Editions quite a bit. The thing is, the Sony's are double the price so it would be expected that the GR07s are blown away :p

I use the Sony hybrid tips mostly on my GR07s. I read through the GR07 tips thread and someone mentioned that flipping the comply tips around (so that the part that would be in your ear is facing the IEM instead) actually helps. I tried it and it actually worked! You can feel the tubing in your ear a bit at first but the muffled and muddy sound goes away and is improved slightly to my ears over the hybrids.

Paid $179 for the BE when I first had it. Paid $240 for the H3 when it was on sale. Not double the price for me... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back