Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #23,869 of 48,578
  Ignoring comfort, requiring amp, etc.
What is THE headphone for detail whoring, specifically footsteps?

Are the differences between the AD700(X), Q701, K701/K702 easily noticeable?

Right on the first post of this thread there's a top 10 list of headphones for "competitive gaming".  That's what you're looking for.

May 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #23,870 of 48,578
FYI, Battlefield 3 is FREE on PC this week. 

May 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #23,872 of 48,578

Maybe I should finally install my copy and give it a play this week.

Buuuuuut I do have Elder Scrolls Online and Watch Dogs to play. And Assassin's Creed 4. And Thief. And..

Do you have a huge backlog of games like I do? I have TONS of unfinished games and it's keeping me from buying Watch Dogs and Thief and Infamous and... 
biggrin.gif

I use a cool website called Backloggery and it's quite handy for when I don't know which games to play or when I want to remind myself of the mountain of games I spent money on and never touched 
tongue.gif

May 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #23,873 of 48,578
  Do you have a huge backlog of games like I do? I have TONS of unfinished games and it's keeping me from buying Watch Dogs and Thief and Infamous and... 
biggrin.gif

I use a cool website called Backloggery and it's quite handy for when I don't know which games to play or when I want to remind myself of the mountain of games I spent money on and never touched 
tongue.gif

I have a backlog of games that I need to review, and then I have a backlog of games that I want to play. The games that I get from developers for review take priority, then I'll get some time to play games on my own. Playing through the pre-released Mac client for the game The Bridge. The game itself has been out for a while but they wanted a tester for the Mac version and another review for their list.

tl;dr Yes I have one hell of a backlog. :p

May 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #23,874 of 48,578
I have a backlog of games that I need to review, and then I have a backlog of games that I want to play. The games that I get from developers for review take priority, then I'll get some time to play games on my own. Playing through the pre-released Mac client for the game The Bridge. The game itself has been out for a while but they wanted a tester for the Mac version and another review for their list.

tl;dr Yes I have one hell of a backlog. :p

Have you had any time with the loaners, yet? I know you mentioned the work week has been hectic... but maybe once you get some time you can spend some on your backlog. I'm not sure how good ESO audio is, but it would be interesting what you think about the K612 and K712 on it.

May 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #23,875 of 48,578
Have you had any time with the loaners, yet? I know you mentioned the work week has been hectic... but maybe once you get some time you can spend some on your backlog. I'm not sure how good ESO audio is, but it would be interesting what you think about the K612 and K712 on it.

If all goes well, I can get some time with them after work tonight. I won't be gaming; instead I'll be writing, so I'll have music playing as well. Helps me concentrate.

May 29, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #23,876 of 48,578
You cant do that with a soundblaster soundcard? only asus versions?

Creative cards do pipe their headphone surround (CMSS-3D Headphone or SBX Pro Surround, depending on model) through TOSlink/optical, actually. Verified it myself.

Whether you prefer either of those to Dolby Headphone or not is another matter, and one you'll have to decide for yourself.

May 29, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #23,878 of 48,578
After looking through this thread im thinking about grabbing the AKG 712. I tried hooking up the Schiit Asgard through the astro 2013 mixamp with the astro headset and then denon d5000. both had crazy amounts of static noise. it was unbearable. now ive heard about the E9, schiit magni and the vali are good for ps4 + mixamp + k712, but what about the hiss? would it be as bad with the Asgard or would mixamp alone be the better option

May 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #23,879 of 48,578
After looking through this thread im thinking about grabbing the AKG 712. I tried hooking up the Schiit Asgard through the astro 2013 mixamp with the astro headset and then denon d5000. both had crazy amounts of static noise. it was unbearable. now ive heard about the E9, schiit magni and the vali are good for ps4 + mixamp + k712, but what about the hiss? would it be as bad with the Asgard or would mixamp alone be the better option

I find the Mixamp to be hissy in general. When using just the Mixamp without my Vali, I have to turn it up to around max volume and there's a significant amount of hiss. When I add in the Vali, I can get the volumes that I want but it doesn't reduce the hiss at all.

When I use my Vali with my Omni, however, there's next to no hiss. An amp will just amplify whatever signal is going through it. If you have a hissy source, the amp will increase the volumes coming from the source thus increasing the hiss along with it.

I find that the PS4 has a lower volume output through optical than my Xbox 360. This definitely contributes to the hiss as I have to crank up the volumes.

In the end, you'll have to switch out the source (the Mixamp) to avoid the hiss. I would highly recommend keeping the amp in the chain as the Mixamp seems to make highs harsh and make the bass a little less controlled (this improved with my Vali).

tl;dr Hiss is unavoidable with the K712 and the Mixamp. Keep your amp as it won't cause much (if any) extra hiss.

May 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #23,880 of 48,578
I find the Mixamp to be hissy in general. When using just the Mixamp without my Vali, I have to turn it up to around max volume and there's a significant amount of hiss. When I add in the Vali, I can get the volumes that I want but it doesn't reduce the hiss at all.

When I use my Vali with my Omni, however, there's next to no hiss. An amp will just amplify whatever signal is going through it. If you have a hissy source, the amp will increase the volumes coming from the source thus increasing the hiss along with it.

I find that the PS4 has a lower volume output through optical than my Xbox 360. This definitely contributes to the hiss as I have to crank up the volumes.

In the end, you'll have to switch out the source (the Mixamp) to avoid the hiss. I would highly recommend keeping the amp in the chain as the Mixamp seems to make highs harsh and make the bass a little less controlled (this improved with my Vali).

tl; Hiss is unavoidable with the K712 and the Mixamp. Keep your amp as it won't cause much (if any) extra hiss

Pretty much. If anything it'll allow the Mixamp to be turned less loud thereby reducing the hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back