Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #23,896 of 48,583
I mostly agree with Stillhart and like the way he phrased the "amping requirement." Upgrading your headphone is an immediate benefit, getting a good amp is another sound upgrade that polishes off the sound.

I had the AD700 for 3 years before I got the Q701. I did use it for music, the detail and soundstage were their own brand of fun (guests who tried them usually said something like "Woah! They sound like speakers!"). I think the AD700 has good mids and a bit bright treble spike (this helps detail and soundstage), but the extension into sub-bass and high trebles tapers off in volume and overall the headphone sounds pretty lean. I liked that for FPS games and some music genres (pop, some rock, folk/acoustic, jazz, classical), but my listening experience wasn't as emotional and involving as with my Q's and I'd wager most people would like bigger bass. It was also very lightweight with low clamping pressure so I found them very comfortable (once I bent the headband till the Earpads laid flat against my ears).

The K612 is almost the same price as a new AD700x, basically you'd hear as much detail but a bit less soundstage, much more firm sub-bass extension, very balanced while I also found it fun. You would need to crank up the volume a bit more, but the SB Z should be okay (but like all higher-end headphones, a dedicated amp civilizes and refines the sound while giving the bass a firmer body).

May 30, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #23,897 of 48,583
Does anyone have experience with ultrasone hifi 2400? What are the general characteristics of it?
A friend of mine offered to exchange it with my fidelio x1.
2400 is also quite bassy for an open can as far as i know which resembles fidelio x1  but other than that how would you compare these two especially the mids, which one is more intimate sounding?
Would you suggest swapping or should i keep the x1?
Thank in advance.

May 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #23,898 of 48,583
Does anyone have experience with ultrasone hifi 2400? What are the general characteristics of it?
A friend of mine offered to exchange it with my fidelio x1.
2400 is also quite bassy for an open can as far as i know which resembles fidelio x1  but other than that how would you compare these two especially the mids, which one is more intimate sounding?
Would you suggest swapping or should i keep the x1?
Thank in advance.

X1 is the better headphone almost certainly.
While Ultrasone's lower headphones are okay, they're usually a bit overpriced for what they're IMO. And most of their high end models are just ridiculously priced.
I'd not accept that exchange...

May 31, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #23,899 of 48,583
My DT990's have stopped playing sound in one ear. Anyone have a suggestion for a general use/gaming headphone in the $100-$250 range? It would be paired with a Creative Titanium HD and Schiit Magni. I liked the bass and "movie theater"-like sound of the DT990, so preferably something similar.

May 31, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #23,900 of 48,583
  My DT990's have stopped playing sound in one ear. Anyone have a suggestion for a general use/gaming headphone in the $100-$250 range? It would be paired with a Creative Titanium HD and Schiit Magni. I liked the bass and "movie theater"-like sound of the DT990, so preferably something similar.

Fidelio X1

May 31, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #23,902 of 48,583
Has anyone tried the V-Moda XS for some gaming?  (As I said in my last post I know open backed around ear headphones would be best but that's not what I'm after/need)

Failing that anyone tried the Musical Fidelity MF100's for some gaming?

May 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #23,903 of 48,583
  Has anyone tried the V-Moda XS for some gaming?  (As I said in my last post I know open backed around ear headphones would be best but that's not what I'm after/need)

Failing that anyone tried the Musical Fidelity MF100's for some gaming?

RE: XS. They sound good for gaming. Smaller soundstage than I'd prefer but it's still decent for on-ears. They sound nice and work with surround processing. My issue is that they put too much pressure on the helix of my ears and caused discomfort after a couple of hours. I do wear glasses, so there's that. I'll be putting mine on the FS thread soon. I procrastinated too long and didn't return them to V-Moda in time.

May 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #23,904 of 48,583

RE: XS. They sound good for gaming. Smaller soundstage than I'd prefer but it's still decent for on-ears. They sound nice and work with surround processing. My issue is that they put too much pressure on the helix of my ears and caused discomfort after a couple of hours. I do wear glasses, so there's that. I'll be putting mine on the FS thread soon. I procrastinated too long and didn't return them to V-Moda in time.

Thanks that's good info.
One thing I don't really like about headphones with leather pads is the suction/vacuum/pressure you can sometimes get when you put them on (probably why I usually prefer velour or alcantara pads), but I don't seem to get that with all headphones so it's kinda 'pot luck' lol.

May 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #23,906 of 48,583
Hey all,

So I'm rather new to this scene, but I'd like to get into it more, I was thinking of the following setup, tell me what do you think and if there's anything I should know.

VMODA BoomPro
FiiO E09K
K712 Pro OR Fedilio X1 OR Q701
Sound Blaster Recon3D OR Trtton's

Will use it for gaming, music, and some movies.

Am I missing something?, I will also need to learn to set it all up etc, any advise about anything will be appreciated! :)

PS: I'm currently using a Turtle Beach Phantom for gaming - I know that's the "Beats" of gaming, so here I am looking for advise for something more sophisticated, how much of a difference will it be btw?

May 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #23,907 of 48,583
  Hey all,

So I'm rather new to this scene, but I'd like to get into it more, I was thinking of the following setup, tell me what do you think and if there's anything I should know.

VMODA BoomPro
FiiO E09K

Am I missing something?, I will also need to learn to set it all up etc, any advise about anything will be appreciated! :)

PS: I'm currently using a Turtle Beach Phantom for gaming - I know that's the "Beats" of gaming, so here I am looking for advise for something more sophisticated, how much of a difference will it be btw?

If you're using the BoomPro with the AKG headphones you'll need an adapter. The headphones use a mini-XLR connection, not the 3.5mm that the BoomPro uses. There is currently no adapter readily available, but ZombieX is testing one he's made. For now, you'd have to DIY one yourself.

I like the Recon3D but the only reason I use it over something like the Mixamp/Xonar U3 is because it's Mac compatible. I enjoy THX but I slightly prefer Dolby Headphone.

I've owned the FiiO E9, the predecessor to the E09K. It's $109 on Amazon right now. The Schiit Magni is available for $99 and I feel it to be a better amp. The only reason to get the FiiO over the Schiit is if you're pairing it with the E07K DAC.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #23,908 of 48,583
  Hey all,

VMODA BoomPro
FiiO E09K

Are you using this with a console or a PC?  (Listening to music generally implies a PC setup.)

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #23,909 of 48,583
Alright thanks Axel, I will look into Magni, but a question about the Mixamp, I can't find the old one, and it says that the new one has a lot of noise?

Stillhart, it will be mainly Consoles, I will have both setups next to one another so I might switch it to PC from time to time. But I will be listening to Music as well on it :)

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #23,910 of 48,583
  Alright thanks Axel, I will look into Magni, but a question about the Mixamp, I can't find the old one, and it says that the new one has a lot of noise?

Stillhart, it will be mainly Consoles, I will have both setups next to one another so I might switch it to PC from time to time. But I will be listening to Music as well on it :)

If you're going to be using a PC and a console, the Recon will suit your needs better than a Mixamp.

As far as noise on the Mixamp, the 5.8 I have is actually decently noisy when you turn it more than halfway up.  If you've got it that loud, tho, you're not going to notice the hiss once the bullets start flying.  Just don't expect much for quiet bits in movies or songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back