Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #23,911 of 48,583

If you're going to be using a PC and a console, the Recon will suit your needs better than a Mixamp.

As far as noise on the Mixamp, the 5.8 I have is actually decently noisy when you turn it more than halfway up.  If you've got it that loud, tho, you're not going to notice the hiss once the bullets start flying.  Just don't expect much for quiet bits in movies or songs.

Hmm, any good alternatives then?

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #23,912 of 48,583
Anybody use the sennheiser momentum for gaming. Would like to hear what you guys think. From the reviews they seem great but not sure if they more for portable use only. I'm looking at purchasing AKG Q701. So want to know wich would be a better investment?I'm gonna use a Mixamp with it for my PS3?

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #23,913 of 48,583
Hi guys quite new here.

I have been following this thread quite a bit but I thought it was about time I asked a few of my own questions.

I was wondering how can I tell if I need to use an amp or not for these headphones in the $200+ bracket (but not $400 or above)? I usually just have to try reading the reviews and see if madlust mentions about any amps but then it makes me ponder if I should still buy an amp even if he doesn't mention it in other particular reviews.

I'm thinking in particular, I'm interested in the AKG Q702 or variants thereof and also the Fidelio X1. Do I need an amp for any of the AKG Qxxx? How about the Fidelio X1? 

I just feel like I don't really want to splash my money on an amp and would just prefer to directly input it into my soundcard.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #23,914 of 48,583
  Hi guys quite new here.

I have been following this thread quite a bit but I thought it was about time I asked a few of my own questions.

I was wondering how can I tell if I need to use an amp or not for these headphones in the $200+ bracket (but not $400 or above)? I usually just have to try reading the reviews and see if madlust mentions about any amps but then it makes me ponder if I should still buy an amp even if he doesn't mention it in other particular reviews.

I'm thinking in particular, I'm interested in the AKG Q702 or variants thereof and also the Fidelio X1. Do I need an amp for any of the AKG Qxxx? How about the Fidelio X1? 

I just feel like I don't really want to splash my money on an amp and would just prefer to directly input it into my soundcard.

Hi,

To identify whether to use an amp or not, well the best way is using your ears obviously. When you're underpowering a headphone, you can usually tell with the bass [either uncontrolled or weak] modrange [recessed or lacks dynamics] and treble [usually uncontrolled, uneven too bright].

A rule of thumb would be that any headphone with low impedance [less than 40 ohms] and high sensitivity [over 100db/mw] usually does not require an amp or rather, benefits little from it.

The X1 does not necessarily require a dedicated DAC/am[ and it "should" sound OK out of a soundcard [ideally external, higher quality].
On board audio is crap 99% of the time [unless the integrated soundcard is good, so no Realtek, etc.].
X1 will probably sound ok from a soundcard [perhaps even integrated but keep in mind that integrated soundcards are the worst source for headphones] or an MP3 player [tested with Clip+, sounded good IMO] but will scale a bit with dedicated gear.

Q701/K701/2/K612 [all sensitivity above 100 db/mw but impedance is 64 ohms and for K612 even 120 ohms, so...] is a no-no with on-board audio and scales a lot higher with dedicated gear [it is even a bit picky and depends on synergy to a point, but generally]. It sounded OK with a dedicated DAP [again the Clip+] but scales higher with its own DAC/amp.

For AKG a dedicated headphone amp/DAC [[Modi/Magni, E17/E9, Mstage, O2/ODAC, etc]] is a must IMO, or at leasta dedicated soundcard. It is not to be used with onboard audio.
X1 "should" perhaps be at least passable with an onboard soundcard but will also improve with a modest dedicated source or amplifier.

Whenever I tried an integrated soundcard [Realtek] with headphones or IEMs I was not impressed. Some were more passable than others [sensitive IEMs or headphones] but it was never optimal.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #23,915 of 48,583
  Hi guys quite new here.

Both headphones you mention will work without an amp. They can get to reasonable volume levels without one. But for both headphones having an amp will improve the sound by refining it.

Really the main function of a soundcard should be DSP, and for most features beyond that it's better to spend the extra you save on an external amp. It's slightly more cumbersome for some people, but I find it more convenient since you can have the amp in arm's reach and you can keep the tower out of the way. But I can understand wanting to run out of the amp directly if you have a really beefy one already. But you'll need one of the stronger soundcards out there to allow the Q701 to show off its finer qualities.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #23,916 of 48,583
  Q701/K701/2/K612 [all sensitivity above 100 db/mw but impedance is 64 ohms and for K612 even 120 ohms, so...] is a no-no with on-board audio and scales a lot higher with dedicated gear [it is even a bit picky and depends on synergy to a point, but generally]. It sounded OK with a dedicated DAP [again the Clip+] but scales higher with its own DAC/amp.

For AKG a dedicated headphone amp/DAC [[Modi/Magni, E17/E9, Mstage, O2/ODAC, etc]] is a must IMO, or at leasta dedicated soundcard. It is not to be used with onboard audio.
X1 "should" perhaps be at least passable with an onboard soundcard but will also improve with a modest dedicated source or amplifier.

I'm going to disagree slightly with this. The Q701 was able to hit comfortable volumes directly out of my MBP's headphone jack. I agree that it does scale with power; I doubt anyone would refute that fact. If the system you're using has decent on-board audio, you can get acceptable performance without anything else required. That said, most PC integrated DAC/amps are super cheap garbage and having an external DAC/amp will really improve the sound. Not saying that the MBP's built in DAC is incredible by any means, but it's certainly better than almost any integrated audio I've experienced on PC.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #23,917 of 48,583

I'm going to disagree slightly with this. The Q701 was able to hit comfortable volumes directly out of my MBP's headphone jack. I agree that it does scale with power; I doubt anyone would refute that fact. If the system you're using has decent on-board audio, you can get acceptable performance without anything else required. That said, most PC integrated DAC/amps are super cheap garbage and having an external DAC/amp will really improve the sound. Not saying that the MBP's built in DAC is incredible by any means, but it's certainly better than almost any integrated audio I've experienced on PC.

I think this part is what you mean - "On board audio is crap 99% of the time [unless the integrated soundcard is good, so no Realtek, etc.]."
Maybe 95% but MBP is in the 5% rest assured. Usually, all but the most expensive mobos use cheap-ass-crap sound cards [like Realtek's] and with those, Q701 is a waste [tested with my K612 Pros and they sounded much better literally off everything else] and the X1 is so-so but crap [also tested].
Also, nowhere did I mention volume levels, I was talking purely SQ. Yeah they might get plenty loud, but you'd be just wasting a good pair of headphones most of the time.

So yes, you're correct and so am I 
cool.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #23,918 of 48,583
Credit where credit is due please, the latest Realtek ALC1150 on most motherboards now a days actually sound decent... not crap. The general perception of when Realtek used to sound like utter trash is so 2007. We're in 2014.

They'll never knock your ears off, but they absolutely don't sound like crap. That I can assure anybody.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #23,919 of 48,583
  Credit where credit is due please, the latest Realtek ALC1150 on most motherboards now a days actually sound decent... not crap. The general perception of when Realtek used to sound like utter trash is so 2007. We're in 2014.

They'll never knock your ears off, but they absolutely don't sound like crap. That I can assure anybody.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #23,922 of 48,583
#23917 of 23926 8 hours ago
sebastianZA
Anybody use the sennheiser momentum for gaming. Would like to hear what you guys think. From the reviews they seem great but not sure if they more for portable use only. I'm looking at purchasing AKG Q701. So want to know wich would be a better investment?I'm gonna use a Mixamp with it for my PS3?

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #23,923 of 48,583
Jun 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #23,925 of 48,583
Too new to really know. The following is just connecting the dots from reading things on the Internet.

The good news is this is a virtual surround processor (surround from two large drivers mated to your two ears) with multiple HDMI inputs. This could also be a viable HDMI switcher for those that don't have the need/space for a receiver. You can also connect multiple wireless headphones, and if Sony's MDR-R1 Bluetooth model is any indication, the wireless signal is pretty clean.

The bad news is that you can only use the Sony HW700DS headphone with it, it's expensive, warranty and instructions are for Japan (possibly the AC adapter too), and past iterations of Sony's headphone surround DSP have only been "so-so" with a cave-like reverb to the sound. It is possible they have improved their DSP... I don't know what the Playstation Gold uses (could be Dolby Headphone), but it HAS to be something in-house by Sony for the HW700DS since it interprets 9.1 channels. There's not much media yet that is coded for 9.1 channels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back