Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #23,596 of 48,578
I've been sticking with PC thus far for my virtual surround setup, but want to make the jump to the xbox one. I've searched quite a but for a solution given that my headphone doesn't have a removable cable and the Xbox one will NOT play chat through the speakers so you can't simply connect a mic into the headset adapter. I'm following these instructions: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1686126.aspx and have ordered a DSS and the y-connector, but I still need the headset adapter and a mic. Does anyone have any suggestions or a more elegant solution for the Xbox one?

That's actually not the worst solution, assuming the DSS1 has the aux input port like the DSS2.  My Recon doesn't so I have to use an even wonkier config.

May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #23,598 of 48,578
Ordered the DSS for $18 so hopefully if it doesn't have aux in I can adopt an even wonkier setup. How do you use your recon?

If it magically decides to send chat audio through the controller, the only way to get it working is to add a Y splitter cable backwards (making it a Y combiner cable) to combine the ouput of the Recon with the output of the headphone side of the Y splitter.  Ev's video explains this bit, but I don't recall if he's officially posted it or not.

Controller >Y Splitter >Mic In > Microphone

Y Splitter >Headphone Out >Y combiner >Headphone
DSS >Headphone Out > Y combiner > 

Hope this helps a bit.

May 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #23,599 of 48,578
If it magically decides to send chat audio through the controller, the only way to get it working is to add a Y splitter cable backwards (making it a Y combiner cable) to combine the ouput of the Recon with the output of the headphone side of the Y splitter.  Ev's video explains this bit, but I don't recall if he's officially posted it or not.

Controller >[COLOR=008000]Y Splitter[/COLOR] >Mic In >Microphone 
 [COLOR=008000]Y Splitter [/COLOR]>Headphone Out >[COLOR=0000FF]Y combiner[/COLOR] >Headphone
DSS >Headphone Out > [COLOR=0000FF]Y combiner[/COLOR] > 

Hope this helps a bit.

I think I understand... So I just need to add one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000UV2AW?pc_redir=1399268143&robot_redir=1 to my list to combine with the DSS?

May 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #23,600 of 48,578
I think I understand... So I just need to add one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000UV2AW?pc_redir=1399268143&robot_redir=1 to my list to combine with the DSS?

I'm a little confused on whether you need that or the opposite (with M->F/F or F->M/M).  Have to ask Evs...

May 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #23,602 of 48,578
Well I've got a M->F/F around so I'll try that first. Maybe I should just cancel the DSS and find a DSS2...

From looking at the Amazon page, it looks like the DSS has the aux port, so probably not an issue.

May 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #23,603 of 48,578
I missed Dolby Headphone so I picked up a Xonar U7.

Too bad I can't actually get it to DO any legit Dolby Headphone.  Not sure if it even can.  It seems like it's crippled to only doing Pro Logic due to not being able to feed the Dolby software actual discrete multi-channel surround.  I think everything gets bottlenecked down two channels before Dolby sees it, then gets upmixed back to pro logic surround.

It's got three outputs, "Headphones, Speaker, and SPDIF". 

1.  The "Headphones" output can only be set to 2 channels.  No "Configure Speakers" options in windows or the Xonar software.  So you just supposed to set it as your default 2-channel audio device and trust that somehow the game is still going to decide to send discrete multi-channel audio to it so Dolby Headphone can work properly?  Can't seem to get it to work - everything sounds like pro-logic.   The only way I could see that working was if Dolby Home Theater v4 somehow got the multi channel signal FIRST (before the Xonar), and then mixed it down with DH and passes it to the Xonar's 2-channel device. 

2.  The "Speakers" output CAN be configured to 5.1 or 7.1, but it splits that output between 5 analog jacks at the back.  If you take a line out from the red/white RCAs, you only hear the front L/R channels of the mix. 

3.  The SPDIF/optical output is either PCM or Dolby Digital.  No "configure speakers" or number of channels options.  The Dolby Digital is at least correctly encoded and without lag, but the PCM option doesn't properly apply Dolby Headphone.

How does the Xonar U3 work?  I think you can configure it as multi-channel in windows right?  I assume the game sees it as a multi-channel device and sends it multi-channel audio, then the U3 software runs it through Dolby Headphone (perhaps encoding it to DDL first), then it runs that 2 channel Dolby Headphone signal out both the 3.5mm out and the toslink out (the latter as 2 channel digital PCM but with dolby headphone already mixed in still?)

May 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #23,605 of 48,578

Controller >[COLOR=008000]Y Splitter[/COLOR] >Mic In >Microphone 
 [COLOR=008000]Y Splitter [/COLOR]>Headphone Out >[COLOR=0000FF]Y combiner[/COLOR] >Headphone
DSS >Headphone Out > [COLOR=0000FF]Y combiner[/COLOR] > 

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh, so my double y-split solution DOES work for XBone? I'll have to post the video.

From looking at the Amazon page, it looks like the DSS has the aux port, so probably not an issue.

The DSS 2 might have a combined optical/aux-in port like the Recon3D and Mac computers, so I'd rely on pictures rather than a features list to determine if the DSS2 has a separate port for input. I've never owned a DSS2 myself... I'll need to check the DSS again tonight once I'm off work.

May 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #23,606 of 48,578
Oh, so my double y-split solution DOES work for XBone? I'll have to post the video.
The DSS 2 might have a combined optical/aux-in port like the Recon3D and Mac computers, so I'd rely on pictures rather than a features list to determine if the DSS2 has a separate port for input. I've never owned a DSS2 myself... I'll need to check the DSS again tonight once I'm off work.

Q1:  I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Q2:  We're curious about the DSS1 not the DSS2.  Can you tell us if the DSS1 can combine the chat audio like the DSS2?

May 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #23,608 of 48,578
Well, found a DSS2 on eBay for $32 so I picked it up as well. Going to see if I can get both to work with Xbox1. Might just station one of them at my PC and sell my sound card... Will update when everything comes in.

May 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #23,609 of 48,578
Hey @Stillhart , 

Got the Omni today and it's a pretty awesome device! It's smaller than I expected (same went for the Vali) and works well. A TON less hiss than the Mixamp.

What settings are you using for your Omni in the SBX Surround slider? Not sure what % to set it to. 

May 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #23,610 of 48,578
Grumpy,
Great to hear it!
Mine's been giving me troubles lately (popping sound with game audio and mic), but before that (hmm, before I loaned it to a co-worker, in fact...) it sounded great for me too. I'm gonna have to test it in all my USB ports.
I recommend starting out testing at 67%, get used to that first but then experiment with other settings. I personally like mine best at 100%, a little bass boost at a very low frequency, and a little bit of the dialogue plus booster. Told you it was a pretty good DAC!

How do you like the Vali?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back