Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #23,566 of 48,583
The odd part is Pandora working without changing anything at all (settings, USB cable, USB port, Bifrost power outlet). Using default windows drivers would be pointless, because the whole reason I have the Omni is for surround processing.

I haven't gotten to try out the K612 yet, this DAC issue is bugging me and both my LIVE and PSN subscriptions ran out yesterday. I'm gonna see how the PS4 likes having an iPod (loaded with high bitrate or "lossless" files) plugged in and try playing stereo out to the Bifrost. Then, I'll try the K612 after orienting to the DAC change with my Q701 reference.

One nice thing to say: even though there are static futzzes, even though I can't stay focused on the DAC audio quality, I could still tell that there was a positive difference to audio quality. Not a game-changer like my first upgrade from average ~$50 headphones to my first fully circumaural headphone, nor like having surround sound, so not the greatest value like those were, but there is an improvement and it's obviously not my imagination, so that's good :)

True, I was mentioning it as a way to help check if it's a driver issue with the Omni.

Hope you enjoy it and all goes well with iPod and PS4. I personally use my K612 as my reference because it's so linear. Do you know when you expect to get an RCA to RCA cable?

Hopefully you will be able to figure out how much of upgrade it is once you get the static eliminated. No upgrade is quite as big as the first decent full-size headphone.

May 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #23,569 of 48,583
Heads up guys, I'm getting a consistently high amount of resistance from the V-moda Boom Pro cable: A whopping 6 ohms or so. Not sure if the mic channel causes some issues, but I would at least recommend only using the Boom Pro cable for gaming, and not for music listening. Testing some other cables, I get the normal 0.6-0.8ohms of resistance.

Can anyone else test the resistance of the Boom Pro cable?

Just remember, resistance does not make or break the sound, it is still subtle at best, and I have NO problems using the cable for gaming. Just, less resistance is technically better for audio in general, and 6ohm resistance is the highest I've ever seen, which is 10x higher than normal cables.

May 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #23,570 of 48,583
Heads up guys, I'm getting a consistently high amount of resistance from the V-moda Boom Pro cable: A whopping 6 ohms or so. Not sure if the mic channel causes some issues, but I would at least recommend only using the Boom Pro cable for gaming, and not for music listening. Testing some other cables, I get the normal 0.6-0.8ohms of resistance.

Just remember, resistance does not make or break the sound, it is still subtle at best, and I have NO problems using the cable for gaming. Just, less resistance is technically better for audio in general, and 6ohm resistance is the highest I've ever seen, which is 10x higher than normal cables.

I thought that's what people were measuring the X1 cable at and swapping to the Boom Pro fixed that issue.  Am I misremembering?  I can say that the stock cable from the X1 sounds a little congested compared to my Boom Pro cable.

May 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #23,571 of 48,583
  Welp, my Modi stopped working so I'm returning it.  (Hope they don't charge me shipping to return their broken product, but I'm not expecting much based on my communications with them so far.)

Looking forward to @Evshrug's impressions of the Bifrost since that's next on my list of DAC's to try.

Seems kind of odd to me that you would even be considering the Bifrost when your brand new Modi just broke. Additionally, the jump from $100 to $350+ is quite large. For around $280, you can get a NFB 15.32 when they're back in stock later this month. USB, optical, and coaxial inputs + an amp to boot. You might even be able to get rid of your M-Stage. 

May 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #23,572 of 48,583
No, they were referring to the normal vmoda cable. Which has conflicting reports to begin with, as some have resistances near as high as the X1 cable.

May 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #23,573 of 48,583

Seems kind of odd to me that you would even be considering the Bifrost when your brand new Modi just broke. Additionally, the jump from $100 to $350+ is quite large. For around $280, you can get a NFB 15.32 when they're back in stock later this month. USB, optical, and coaxial inputs + an amp to boot. You might even be able to get rid of your M-Stage.

Well, I figure a used Bifrost is less likely to be broken than a brand new version of a brand new product.  Also, the Bifrost gets such good reviews that I was assuming the sound upgrade would be worth the price... but that's probably a bad assumption.  I've been doing a lot of research on the difference between the two and a LOT of people are claiming they couldn't tell the difference between the Bifrost and the Modi in a blind test.

Regardless, I have definitely been looking for alternatives in between the two in price range.  I'm not sure what to think of the Augio-gd stuff; their site is super ghetto and they look to be constructed really cheaply.  However, if they sound good, I guess that's what counts.  I'll have to do some research on that one, thanks for the suggestion!

May 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #23,574 of 48,583
The Audio GD stuff and bad contruction do not mix. They may look aesthetically lacking, but I assure you, their stuff is built like tanks. Audio-GD is tbe only company I woukd buy higher priced amp/dac combos. I have loved the NFB5, SA31, and Compass 2. I can't recommend them enough.

May 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #23,575 of 48,583
Ok, I've had a few days to play around with my new wireless A40 setup. I am very impressed! These suckers get pretty loud and they are very comfortable! I will keep them for now, but I will probably get something like 712Pros in the future.

However, I am wondering about alternative microphone options...perhaps something clip-on in case I decide to use any of my other earbuds/headphones with the 5.8 mixamp. I do have a wireless headset. maybe wearing that around my neck? lol

I guess as of right now, the setup is a bit odd:

The mixamp receiver has two cables going into it... the A40s and then the mic cable that then goes back to my controller. It works fine when I use my wireless controller, but sometimes I use a wired controller so that I can use the CronuxMax (to give me mouse/keyboard on the 360).. but the mic does not work when using the CronuxMax.

I know it may seem silly to have more wires in my setup, but my main desire was wireless audio. If I have my console set up near my computer, then wires are not a big deal since everything is so close... but if I'm using my console on my big screen, then I'm like 12ft from the console.

May 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #23,576 of 48,583

Would the inline volume control not have a resistance of it's own.. maybe test it at max then min? Maybe wrong, but worth a look.

May 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #23,577 of 48,583
This is true, their stuff is really well built. It looks mostly the same because they use a small variety in cases which leads to lower prices for them as they can order a lot this way for quite a discount. Additionally Kingwa buys the internals cheaper than everyone else. Everyone wins. I prefer an excellent internal and robust external built over fancy cases who themselves can cost hundreds of dollars depending on how exclusive and luxurious.

However I only like AGD's high end stuff, was never impressed with their low- and midtier. 

May 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #23,578 of 48,583
Well there's a new "old boy" in town. The Aune X1 Pro, for about $200 this is an impeccable DAC/amp combo. It goes up against the M&M stack, but I do find the Aune to be better with its variety of inputs (optical, coax, USB, RCA in) as a plus.

Just got it in the mail today, listened to it a little and I'm already impressed. Stunning stuff.

May 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #23,579 of 48,583

Which part are you measuring?  When I measure the Tip (with the mic & headphone splitter attached for PC use) to Tip I get 3.0 ohms, Ring to Ring is 3.0 ohms, Sleeve to Sleeve is 0.8 ohms on my Boom Pro.

EDIT: DOH! I thought something was off... Then I re-read SaLX's post. I had the inline volume dial set for low volume. I just updated my measurements with the inline volume at max. For comparison, my hacked stock ATH-AD700 cable is 0.4 ohms for T & R, 0.6 ohms for S.

May 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #23,580 of 48,583
I test both main poles and get 5-6 ohms. All my other cables are like .4-.8ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back