Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #23,536 of 48,583

NP.  And to be clear, I've actually used my Omni in all three configurations:  DSP only, DSP+DAC, and DSP+DAC+Amp.  It's one of the reasons I got the Omni.

May 4, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #23,538 of 48,583
  I think I'll be trying the DSP+DAC combined with a separate amp configuration in the near future :)

That's what Grumpy is doing too, and I think it's your best "bang for the buck" config.  My $100 Schiit Modi DAC is nice, but it's not $100 better than my Omni. 

May 4, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #23,539 of 48,583
If you want to use just an amp, use the RCA outs from the Omni to the amp.

The guys on the Soundblaster Z, Zx, & ZxR thread discovered that the RCA outputs (which only work when you switch to speaker mode) use a different kind of surround processing intended to make near-field computer desktop speakers sound "surroundy." The Omni also comes with an RCA male to 3.5mm headphone jack female adapter.

If you want headphone surround processing, you connect an external amp to the headphone jack. I've not had a problem amping with a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Right... ego...

Oooh... Aaaaah...

Also Change, way to trick people by using a spoiler tag for an actual spoiler for once. You're no fun, give a busy working guy a break :frowning2:

May 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #23,540 of 48,583

That's what Grumpy is doing too, and I think it's your best "bang for the buck" config.  My $100 Schiit Modi DAC is nice, but it's not $100 better than my Omni. 

I'm fairly new to the headphone and hifi scene, so I haven't really formed any expectations yet. However I do play guitar, so I have an appreciation for how different equipment can have an affect on sound, whether it be night and day or subtle.

One of the night and day differences in the guitar world is solid state vs tube. I always thought that headphone amplification and hifi in general was solid state territory. I've only recently become aware that tube vs solid state is also a big thing with headphone amps too. This is a big reason why I've taken an interest in tube amps all of a sudden.

May 4, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #23,541 of 48,583
Ok, so I intended this to be a bit silly, but I was opening this blind on camera... and this may be the weirdest unboxing I'll ever have.

Warning! No tripod was used in the making of this video, and I was laughing on the inside more and more as I filmed this!

[Video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvmAgchSJU[/Video]

May 4, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #23,542 of 48,583
Ok, so I intended this to be a bit silly, but I was opening this blind on camera... and this may be the weirdest unboxing I'll ever have.

Warning! No tripod was used in the making of this video, and I was laughing on the inside more and more as I filmed this!

There will be some men with white coats arriving at your house shortly. Let them in. They are nice men, and it's for your own good. They have a nice sweater for you too. It's a little tricky to put on (and especially hard to take off), but they will help you 
tongue.gif

May 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #23,543 of 48,583
They won't find me, I'll be riding a rainbow to the land of the gods :3

Also, a little disclaimer...
I DO NOT RECOMMEND trying to KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES!
Grados and Koss KSC-75's and other budget picks are easy to recommend to newcomers, and so is a DSS and/or Omni, because these high-value products set a good bar and give you an idea if the upgrades from your current gear are nice/meaningful to you, and you can play around to find what sonic preferences you have. THEN start upgrading piece by piece, so you have time to understand what each piece gains you.

May 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #23,545 of 48,583
May 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #23,547 of 48,583

Was that three pairs of the akg headphones and a schiit dac headphone amp? are you keeping all three headphones or are you just testing them out?

May 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #23,548 of 48,583
Sup,

Is that Change's K612? Screw the Bifrost, I want a Magni. Much I sense in you. 

May 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #23,549 of 48,583
Wait a minute: I was supposed to wrap the headband in that cloth thing, NOT use it as a cable wrap?

Oh well, still felt comfortable enough to me without it.

Yes, that's Change's K612 in that box, and no, I definitely wasn't expecting that Bifrost to come packed in literal popcorn!

...Is that a second-gen Wacom Bamboo tablet on your desk? Didn't think you'd keep such a thing in portrait orientation, or that you might have one to draw stuff with.

In unrelated news, it turns out my MMX 300's cable is in worse condition than I thought; sometimes the mic portion will cut out, and that's the part that doesn't have a spliced replacement plug! I need to have this thing completely recabled one of these days.

May 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #23,550 of 48,583

Was that three pairs of the akg headphones and a schiit dac headphone amp? are you keeping all three headphones or are you just testing them out?

That Ev's K712 (which was sent to MLE for testing), Ev's Q701 and Change's K612.  Also a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC (not amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back