Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #20,686 of 48,562
I don't think the wireless component of the Mixamp 5.8 is what causes the hiss. 

I think the hiss is caused by a less than perfect SnR, same as with devices like the DSS, and the 2013 mixamp.   The wireless part of it works great and sounds, to my ears, undetectable and identical to wired devices.  Perhaps when you turn the volume way up it becomes audible, but I'm not sure if that's because it's wireless or just because the amp is a bit noisy.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #20,687 of 48,562
  I've read the PULSE was no slouch, itself. If you do get them, you should send em in to Mad for review.....

Well, except the Sony Pulse has pretty poor built quality. Just do a google search and you'll see numerous, uncountable complaints about the side cracking (yes, it's 10x worse than the HD558 cracking fiasco a few years back), pleather tearing within 6 months, and dead battery within 2 months (my review unit actually died in less than 20 days, go figure). Also, Sony's own VSS is very similar to DPLIIx, upmixing a stereo source into a multi channel source — yeap, which means poor positional cues.

The Pulse are no slouch, very comparable to the CALs and perhaps I'd say even having a slightly wider soundstage than what the CALs offer.... but it all comes with a huge BUT; it only sounds good when wired to a proper source.

I expect pretty much the same thing from the Gold headset Sony just announced, since they'll be using the same drivers and the same unreliable pleather earpads. $100 may seem like a pretty good deal for a versatile headset, working both in wireless and wired mode and comes with a decent mic that doesn't have to jut right out to your face. But it's no use when it breaks within a year, that's a stupid investment.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #20,689 of 48,562
To be fair, Sony could have improved on the sound by tweaking the drivers and the design could end up being better and more reliable than their last headset.

Well, on its own I think the Pulse sounds absolutely fine... when wired. If you wanted a CAL with a slightly wider soundstage but remaining most of what it has, the Pulse is the answer. 

There doesn't seem to be enough amplification on wireless mode, leading to muddy details in the mids, dull bass (yeah, dull bass on a closed design advertised to be bassy, go figure) and lacking energy in the treble. It's like putting the volume at 5% through an amp, you hear almost nothing.

Here's hoping the Gold will actually be more reliable (though I know the earpads are going disintegrate regardless after 6 months) of course.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #20,690 of 48,562
I haven't followed this thread enough.

Why is MLE running something like A30s? What happened? 

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #20,691 of 48,562
Still using my MA900s. Only using the A30s when I need to use a headset. Was fed up with the cable clutter of attaching an external mic to the MA900. Of course, I'd prefer using something like the X1+vmoda boom mic cable, or a PC360 or something, but couldn't pass up the very good deal of having the A30+Mixamp for $80. Sold the Mixamp, so basically got the A30s for like $30.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #20,693 of 48,562
I haven't followed this thread enough.

Why is MLE running something like A30s? What happened? 

The Microsoft store was (is?) running a sale on new @.@ A30 and Mixamp 5.8 bundles. Mad thought it would be nice to have a spare closed headset... but his A30 arrived with a huge channel imbalance and one ear much quieter/duller.

My bundle arrives Monday. The black A30+wireless Mixamp kit was $109 for me.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #20,694 of 48,562
So after giving a try some new setting that http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/2595#post_10242252

I have to say i am still not empressed from surround sound . Maybe i am doing something wrong with my DGX settings or i expected too much from surround sound . I am still very confused of which is the best surround sound card maybe i have to give all them a try (buy and sell and buy again  ) so i can have a more detailed opinion on surround sound 

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #20,697 of 48,562
The new sony gold headset seems pretty nifty for 100 dollars.  My friend decided that ultimately he wants the convenience of everything the gold offers over his previous headphones and mixamp.  For 100 dollars and all of those features though, there has to be some caveat.  The build in particular doesn't look too grand.  I guess we'll see once he gets his.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #20,698 of 48,562
To play BF4 in PS4, and being think add a MixAmp + mic

Which is best for me, MA900 or X1?

I appreciate a very large, airy and three-dimensional soundstage, and i'm not a bass head.

Thx.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #20,699 of 48,562
The Microsoft store was (is?) running a sale on new @.@ A30 and Mixamp 5.8 bundles. Mad thought it would be nice to have a spare closed headset... but his A30 arrived with a huge channel imbalance and one ear much quieter/duller.

My bundle arrives Monday. The black A30+wireless Mixamp kit was $109 for me.

Oh i see, superb deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back