Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #20,671 of 48,568
Thanks again SaLX and Evshrug. A follow up question though... How about the O2's gain settings in relation to the Mixamp - meaning the O2's standard 2.5x gain is stated to be meant for 2v desktop sources and the 6.5x gain for .5v portable sources. The Mixamp is rated at 1.6v, but is that not at max volume? I don't know that running the Mixamp full out is the right way to set it - I think around halfway or a little less would be ideal to reduce hiss. So at 50% volume its voltage would be down to around .8v, which I believe would be suitable for the 6.5x gain setting on the O2 from what I've read. Then don't forget the power draw from using a mic, which I would like to do. I will order the O2 with the 1x/2.5x gain option since that is the recommendation I've gotten here but please let me know if my concerns above make any sense.

I just wanted to reformulate my question for the sake of clarity... I'd like to source match the gain options of the O2 I'm ordering with the needs of the Mixamp.  I read the Mixamp is USB powered and maxes out at 1.6v (70mW @ 32ohm).  If the sweet spot on the Mixamp's volume dial is around 50% would the voltage not also be cut almost in half?  I would think gain needs to be higher than 2.5x to match up around .8v from the Mixamp.  I've read the 2.5x gain from the O2 is for desktop 2v sources and the high gain option is for lower level sources around .5v, which it looks like the Mixamp would be if used at around 50% volume.  My concern with selecting 1x/2.5x is not having enough gain when using the Mixamp at 50% plus powering a mic.  Is my thinking correct?

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #20,673 of 48,568
  So the dac and all the electric components are the same ?

Between...the Omni and the Z?  No, the specs are a little different with the Z having a higher SnR (116dB vs the 100dB on Omni) and the Z DAC goes to 192kHz (not that that matters).

They have the same surround DSP though.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #20,675 of 48,568
Philips X1 down to $219.99 and falling.... X2 coming soon perhaps?

Eventually it will get down to that $150 promotion price. Until then, one can only speculate.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #20,677 of 48,568
So the dac and all the electric components are the same ?

The DAC and electronic components are probably different, but going from the Z to the Omni they sounded pretty comparable. I'd say both are good options, choose based on price and internal vs external needs.

One downside, for ME, when I played borderlands last night, there was a regular popping noise whenever I had the mic enabled. Poor AxelCloris... he had to hear it too. I'm going to contact Creative about it.

Mad,
Just do it, easier than returning headphones. Why should you hold on to defective junk?

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #20,678 of 48,568

I REALLY need to find the motivation to send the A30s to Astro...

How about ordering the a30 + 5.8 from the Microsoft Store, switching headsets and then returning it. They do free returns and the headphones have no serial number. Just a thought.
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #20,679 of 48,568
I'm considering purchasing the new Gold PlayStation 4 wireless bluetooth Headset for $99. If I do, I'll most likely return the Astro 5.8 mixamp + a30's since I would have no need for them. I'm guessing the combo of the X1's + 5.8 mixamp would sound better than the Gold PS4 headset but who knows by how much. The inferior sound (no hissing is a +) would be made up by the fact that the PS4 headset is completely wireless, easy to connect to my PS4 and the battery should last longer. The X1's would be strictly for PC gaming if I go this route. What to do...

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #20,681 of 48,568
Interestingly I also just read about the Playstation Gold... Nice integration, Sony has a good audio pedigree, but construction looks cheap. A step down from what I'm used to.

Side note, you could also use the PS Gold for PC or mobile use, it has an optional 3.5mm plug and might even allow Bluetooth.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #20,682 of 48,568
Interestingly I also just read about the Playstation Gold... Nice integration, Sony has a good audio pedigree, but construction looks cheap. A step down from what I'm used to.

Side note, you could also use the PS Gold for PC or mobile use, it has an optional 3.5mm plug and might even allow Bluetooth.

It's supposed to have better build quality compared to older Sony headsets. I like the mixamp 5.8 and the ability to use any headset but it's not completely wireless, the batteries don't last long at all, there' s a good amount of hissing and when I use the PS3/PC chat cable, the chat isn't very loud unless I lower the game sound to the point of not being very immersive and vice versa.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #20,683 of 48,568
Hopefully the hissing will be less of an issue with my AKGs, I notice a little more hiss in devices with my more sensitive headphones than with the AKG's.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've felt buyer's remorse... and I haven't even received the product yet!

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #20,684 of 48,568
Hopefully the hissing will be less of an issue with my AKGs, I notice a little more hiss in devices with my more sensitive headphones than with the AKG's.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've felt buyer's remorse... and I haven't even received the product yet!

I might have sounded a little harsh towards the 5.8 mixamp. It actually sounds great for a wireless device and you probably aren't going to hear much hissing at all during gameplay. It's just that when I'm in a party chat or trying to hear other people talk, their voices are hard for me to hear unless I lower the game volume which then makes it hard for me to hear details like footsteps in fps like COD: Ghost. You can raise the overall volume but then you'll hear even more hissing. If you are just having fun then I don't think you will mind much but if you are trying to be competitive it might annoy you. If you want chat to be louder, you can bypass the PS3/PC chat cable and use the TB PS4 chat cable instead. Only problem is that you'll now have two cables going into the RX unit instead of one.

I've yet to decide on if I'm going to stick with the 5.8 mixamp or not. My sister is going to purchase the Gold PS4 headset on day 1 so I think I'll try it out at her place before I make my decision.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #20,685 of 48,568
I'm just a little bummed because now I'm remembering why I chose the Recon3D USB in the first place. I already have a pretty good setup for adjusting game and chat balance, except for one game: Halo 4. I can't adjust Reach's game volume either but the default volume is fine actually.

In the past, quiet hiss had bothered me even while playing, and I've talked repeatedly and long about how wireless systems are a compromise and usually use budget DACs, and now I'll probably HAVE to keep my E12 to have a tidy system to use with my K712's, and...

I hope I'm wrong. I'm pleased enough with Bluetooth streaming audio built-in to my Volkswagen, so hopefully the Mixamp 5.8 scales with damping. But basically I think that I'm going to end up dreaming about a FiiO device again. Everyone, sign the petition!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699717/petition-for-a-gaming-device-from-fiio/60_30#post_10214395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back