Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #20,701 of 48,568
To play BF4 in PS4, and being think add a MixAmp + mic

Which is best for me, MA900 or X1?

I appreciate a very large, airy and three-dimensional soundstage, and i'm not a bass head.

Thx.

I would suggest the K612 or MA900, rather than the X1. On Battlefield, the X1's bass will be too much at times... and will hamper positioning and audio cues... and will also hamper chatting.

X1. Sounds slightly better and you can replace the stock cable with the V-MODA BoomPro mic which is more convenient than attaching a mic to the MA900 cable.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #20,702 of 48,568
I respectively disagree. In regards to the X1, I don't find the bass to hamper positioning and audio cues much and I don't think it's very convenient at all to have two cables attached to you while you game. I'm guessing MLE might agree with me there. Besides, I'd rather have a more immersive experience in a game that doesn't allow for the best audio positioning in the first place.

Of course, if the user doesn't care about convenience at all and only cares about positioning, the MA900 or k612 might be a slightly better choice like you mentioned.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #20,703 of 48,568
Thx. :)

Currently i cant find V-MODA BoomPro mic on EU amazon's. 

Mic cable is no a problem for me, I'm more interested on sound qualities.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #20,705 of 48,568
The X1 just didn't work for me on Battlefield, sorry to say. Its U-shaped sound signature made it impossible to chat AND enjoy that immersiveness.

If I can recall, you've mentioned yourself that you have to turn the chat knob, when chatting, to a point where it almost makes the X1 not so fun... correct?

Because of so, it would affect the positioning and audio (granted its already less than average on Battlefield) due to the reduction of the in game volume during chatting. (In my experience)

So yea, for people who play Battlefield (and chat) I will always suggest the MA900 or K612 before the X1.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #20,706 of 48,568
When I mentioned having issues with chat volume and game sound, it's more of an issue with USB to PS4 connection with the Astro mixamps. It sounds just fine when I use the TB PS4 chat cable. A lot of Astro mixamp/USB headset users have reported the same issues and I doubt they are all using the X1. Hopefully the issue will be addressed in a future PS4 firmware update.

Forgot to mention that I've been using the Astro a30's and chat actually sounded good in BF4 but total crap in COD: Ghost. Same thing with the X1.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #20,707 of 48,568
I would suggest the K612 or MA900, rather than the X1. On Battlefield, the X1's bass will be too much at times... and will hamper positioning and audio cues... and will also hamper chatting.

This is actually a really good point. For that game specifically, some of the effects can be quite jarring. It's a big reason why I will use standard foam pads on my K702 AE vs the memory foam. A more neutral signature would, IMO, lend itself better to BF4 vs a warmer one.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #20,708 of 48,568
  This is actually a really good point. For that game specifically, some of the effects can be quite jarring. It's a big reason why I will use standard foam pads on my K702 AE vs the memory foam. A more neutral signature would, IMO, lend itself better to BF4 vs a warmer one.

This is why I'm going to order the the angled pads for my K612, rather than the memory foam ones. I was able to try them out, today, as I ordered a pair for a fellow head-fier in Canada (for his K702 AE, as well). The K612 is already a warm headphone, and the angled pads refined that with only marginal changes to its sound.. while also adding some air to its soundstage. It may have even added a little more bass, but I believe its due to its cleaner impact rather than amount.

The memory foam pads may make them TOO warm, I believe... for its purpose. Plus, the angled pads are much cheaper... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #20,709 of 48,568
I need to go spend some time reading about the K612. Haven't heard a bad thing said about them yet.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #20,711 of 48,568

This is why I'm going to order the the angled pads for my K612, rather than the memory foam ones. I was able to try them out, today, as I ordered a pair for a fellow head-fier in Canada (for his K702 AE, as well). The K612 is already a warm headphone, and the angled pads refined that with only marginal changes to its sound.. while also adding some air to its soundstage. It may have even added a little more bass, but I believe its due to its cleaner impact rather than amount.

The memory foam pads may make them TOO warm, I believe... for its purpose. Plus, the angled pads are much cheaper... 
biggrin.gif

I respectfully disagree I own the K702 angled pads and they alter the sound quite a bit, too much to my liking.
I'd love to use them, really as they are really comfy but.. they just get too warm IMO.
The perceived increase in air was little to none and the decrease in imaging clearness was/detail retrieval was easily noticeable.
IMO, to my ears.
If the memory pads are even warmer then no way for me :/

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #20,712 of 48,568
  I respectfully disagree I own the K702 angled pads and they alter the sound quite a bit, too much to my liking.
I'd love to use them, really as they are really comfy but.. they just get too warm IMO.
The perceived increase in air was little to none and the decrease in imaging clearness was/detail retrieval was easily noticeable.
IMO, to my ears.

When the K702 AE was released with the memory foam pads, a lot of comparisons between it and the Q701 (the last iteration at the time) and it was pretty clear what changes you got from them. Not discounting your perception at all. Just reiterating there was a large amount of the community who found differences in the signature from one pad to the other. I'm not debating which one is better (the angles pads, dammit!), but there was a clear difference.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #20,713 of 48,568
  When the K702 AE was released with the memory foam pads, a lot of comparisons between it and the Q701 (the last iteration at the time) and it was pretty clear what changes you got from them. Not discounting your perception at all. Just reiterating there was a large amount of the community who found differences in the signature from one pad to the other. I'm not debating which one is better (the angles pads, dammit!), but there was a clear difference.

His impressions are on the K612, so he's comparing the angled pads to the K612 pads (same material but thinner).

IMO, to my ears.

The time I spent with the angled pads wasn't long enough to critique, so you may be right. Either way, I liked the change enough to order a pair of my own 
wink.gif

And you're right. If you found the angled pads to sound too warm on the K612, then the memory pads are a no no for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back