Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #9,076 of 48,566
Quote:
I just bought a Xonar Essence STX sound card along with Beyerdynamic MMX300 based on good feedback and recommendations.
First, when I installed my STX, I got it working in a weird way.. I saw that the computer recognized my STX in the Device manager, but when I went to install the drivers.. at the end it told me to connect the device allowing me to Retry or Cancel the operation.. I clicked retry and it asked me a similar question. I cancelled it, restarted PC and saw that the Xonar audio center was in the quick bar so it was ok.
When using the Unified Xonar Drivers.. it gave me the please connect device again, selected retry , it asked me to attach device again, I selected cancel. I restarted PC , saw no icon, and tried to install driver again and it told me that installation of driver is complete.
To note I had to install my card in the PCI express x 4 slot because of my Gigabyte mobo config (This big blue thing makes it not possible to connect my card to the PCI-Exp x 1 slot.
I get sound and stuff from the card, but I've noticed when playing Black ops 2, I sometimes got game pausing and few seconds of no sound. I have an error with DataRam RamDisk Device -> RamDiskVE saying that drivers can't be installed. Does that affect my sound card?
Also, I am not really impressed with the surround sound I get from the setup of the STX / MMX 300. It's hard to tell where the sound is coming from when playing FPS shooters compared to my old Logitech z5500 5.1 system which my brother wanted to use, which causes me to ask if virtual or headphone true 5.1 is good as actual 5.1 speakers? The sound from the headphones sound like it's coming from everywhere still.
I used the Dolby headphone (DH-2), xear 3d, 7.1 speaker shifter when gaming, 8-channel
Should I return my card and headphones.. and just buy Steel series Siberia v2 headphones or Razer gaming headphones or am I expecting too much from headphones to produce good sound channel separation as actual 5.1 speaker setups?
Music is great from the setup though. Haven't tried movies yet, but I'm thinking the sound separation is pretty much the same as the games.

Have you disabled the motherboard's built in audio (in the bios)?

Sometimes Xonar drivers have been less then prefect on installation.
Maybe try a clean reinstall of the drivers.

Or try turning the computer off, remove the STX, turn computer on, after full boot up, turn computer back off, put STX back in the computer, turn computer back on.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #9,077 of 48,566
I got an email saying the Monoprice Dolby Headphone Decoder + headset is now in stock.  Someone grab it!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10850&cs_id=1080910&p_id=9771&seq=1&format=2

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #9,078 of 48,566
I wouldn't judge the positional qualities of your setup from blacks op 2 alone. I find that the game is terrible for sound whoring (at least without perks). I've been knifed in the back quite a few times in this game since I can't hear them coming behind me unless they're shooting or something. A game like CS:GO would be a much better test to gauge how well surround sound works with your headphones.

Ah thx. I just sent my mmx300 to ups for return =(
I mite get dt990. I shoulda tried left 4 dead 2. The surround is reAlly good on that

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #9,079 of 48,566
Have you disabled the motherboard's built in audio (in the bios)?

Sometimes Xonar drivers have been less then prefect on installation.
Maybe try a clean reinstall of the drivers.

Or try turning the computer off, remove the STX, turn computer on, after full boot up, turn computer back off, put STX back in the computer, turn computer back on.

Yes I have disabled on board audio and did a clean install of drivers with driver sweeper.

I'll try the power off stuff when I install the 1.53 unified drivers

I need new headphones tho

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #9,080 of 48,566
Quote:
I got an email saying the Monoprice Dolby Headphone Decoder + headset is now in stock.  Someone grab it!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10850&cs_id=1080910&p_id=9771&seq=1&format=2

Me too, when you try to checkout it says not available :frowning2: I chatted with a rep earlier and they said the date is still the 1st and apologized. I'll be picking one up that day and will post impressions here immediately.

-Erik

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #9,081 of 48,566
So I said to hell with it, traded in Black Ops II to Amazon for $40, and went to Gamestop and got the original and BEST FPS ever made.

Starting fresh, baby.

The positional cues, and footsteps = TOP NOTCH. I'm using the KSC35, and I'm just demolishing this game already. It's been years since I've played it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #9,082 of 48,566
Quote:
So I said to hell with it, traded in Black Ops II to Amazon for $40, and went to Gamestop and got the original and BEST FPS ever made.

Starting fresh, baby.
The positional cues, and footsteps = TOP NOTCH. I'm using the KSC35, and I'm just demolishing this game already. It's been years since I've played it.

I entirely agree with this message. MP5 Silenced, Bomb Squad, UAV Jammer and Dead Silence = OWNAGE. How many people still play on PS3? Not many on xbox as there are SOOO many hackers.

-Erik

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #9,083 of 48,566
Quote:

Me too, when you try to checkout it says not available :frowning2: I chatted with a rep earlier and they said the date is still the 1st and apologized.

Doh!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #9,084 of 48,566
Not bad for the first day in ages...

I entirely agree with this message. MP5 Silenced, Bomb Squad, UAV Jammer and Dead Silence = OWNAGE. How many people still play on PS3? Not many on xbox as there are SOOO many hackers.

-Erik

Bah, boring and predictable CoD4 setup. :p
J/K. I actually am very terrible with the MP5. I have NEVER been good with that gun. It just doesn't work for me.

Looks like the server is still fine, as I had no problems joining full games.

My fave setups:

Free For All

Skorpion w/Silencer
Bandolier
Stopping Power (or Sleight Of Hand)
Dead Silence

TDM

AK47 w/no attachments (the AK47 is glitched and loses power if you use any attachment)
Bandolier
Stopping Power
Dead Silence

TDM2

G36C w/Red Dot Sight
Bandolier
Sleight Of Hand (I find this gun very fun with SoH, and very fast reload)
Dead Silence

Sniper

M40 w/ACOG (M40 is glitched and gets extra damage when using an ACOG, though barely noticeable)
C4
Stopping Power
Dead Silence

Noobkiller (when people are being cheap)

P90 w/Silencer
Bandolier
Double Tap
Dead Silence

Anti-Air/TDM/Ground War

RPD w/no attachments (the iron sight is amazing)
RPG-7x2
Stopping Power
Dead Silence

Vacant/Wetworks

M1014 shotgun
Bandolier
Sleight Of Hand (reloads the shotty absurdly quick)
Dead Silence

Whenever I'm trying to anti-sniper but don't wanna use the M40

G3 w/Red Dot Sight
Bandolier
Stopping Power
Dead Silence

Just for fun:

M16 w/silencer
Bandolier
Double Tap
Dead Silence

Not a lot of people use double tap for anything but the P90. People love the M16 w/RDS and Stopping Power as it's a very deadly weapon, but I find it too slow that way.

People hate when I use the G3, because I can press the trigger so fast, it's almost auto. They think I cheat.

I use Bandolier a lot because I don't die often, and need the extra ammo. Dead Silence is a given. It's necessary for soundwhoring. The game rewards you big time if you use DH+Headphones, unless they also use Dead Silence, in which then you're screwed and have to rely on gun fire sounds.

What the hell happened to the sound? It's been getting worse and worse with every new CoD.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #9,086 of 48,566
Quote:

That's not Unreal Tournament...or Battlefield 1942...or Starsiege: Tribes/Tribes 2...or System Shock 2...or TimeSplitters 2/Future Perfect, or...actually, I can't decide what the best FPS ever made would be. Too many contenders.

I miss the days when FPSs weren't all total unlock-a-thons and things boiled down more to player skill, or had engrossing singleplayer.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #9,087 of 48,566
Well, for me anyways. CoD4 was the second FPS I ever played (after the super awesome and unintentionally funny Battlefied 2: Modern Combat on 360). I had never ever played a shooter before that. Not Goldeneye, not Quake, not Doom, none. I picked up CoD4 and immediately fell in love. It changed my whole outlook on FPS games, though nothing since has ever captured that feeling, and believe me, I played a LOT of FPS games. The only other game to give me a wow feeling was Uncharted 2, though that was for campaign. Didn't bother with multiplayer.

As for soundwhoring, I don't have an issue with BLOPS. And MW3 is terrible for soundwhoring... and that's IW. BLOPS II has non-existent soundwhoring capabilities, though surround cues are good though not gonna give you any sort of edge.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #9,088 of 48,566
Quote:
Well, for me anyways. CoD4 was the second FPS I ever played (after the super awesome and unintentionally funny Battlefied 2: Modern Combat on 360). I had never ever played a shooter before that. Not Goldeneye, not Quake, not Doom, none. I picked up CoD4 and immediately fell in love. It changed my whole outlook on FPS games, though nothing since has ever captured that feeling, and believe me, I played a LOT of FPS games. The only other game to give me a wow feeling was Uncharted 2, though that was for campaign. Didn't bother with multiplayer.
As for soundwhoring, I don't have an issue with BLOPS. And MW3 is terrible for soundwhoring... and that's IW. BLOPS II has non-existent soundwhoring capabilities, though surround cues are good though not gonna give you any sort of edge.

I have to disagree for MW3, I RAPE people with the headphones. Directionality in that game for me is clear and precise.

-Erik

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #9,090 of 48,566
How the hell could you use the G3's iron sights.  My go-to silencer weapons in cod4 were m4 and p90.  Even tho mp5 is a better p90, for some reason p90 worked better in the constant laggy situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back