Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #9,046 of 48,566
I'm probably thinking backwards here but whats one of the best new games to sound whore on the xbox?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #9,048 of 48,566
I just finished the campaign, so I'll be playing multiplayer, soonish. Those two perks sound like I'll be using them exclusively.

I'll probably play Quantum Conundrum first, before I jump into BLOPSII multi.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #9,050 of 48,566
Quote:
MLE! Let me say I love you reviews first off. Some jack ass on Overclock.net called Simca was talking crap* on you but I straightened his ass out right, right quick... Never fear!!! Your fan club is here!

Simca considers the Recon3D a better gaming card than the Titanium HD, whereas my opinion on the two is the exact opposite (everything Sound Core3D-based is a downgrade from a proper EMU20k1/20k2 X-Fi card, even without taking into account CMSS-3D Headphone vs. THX TruStudio Surround). Needless to say, I don't put too much stock in his opinions.

I only lurk OCN, but I've been tempted to make an account just to straighten some things out on the audio forum. On the other hand, it's already pretty tiring just keeping Head-Fi in check, let alone other communities.

Nevertheless, audio is one of those subjective things that nobody ever seems to agree on. For instance, it wasn't too long ago here on Head-Fi where I heard of someone not liking AD700 and Stax Lambda imaging because it sounded too diffused to his ears compared to, say, a typical Sennheiser set. Meanwhile, I never had problems hearing EXACTLY where a sound was coming from using either of those. (I wasn't entirely certain if he was talking stereo music listening or gaming with CMSS-3D or DH, though.)

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9,051 of 48,566
Halo 4 doesn't really have the playlists that really capitalize on sound whoring... like the Hardcore game modes in COD. That being said, you can still use Headphones/DH to gain an advantage in MP, but it won't be as important imho.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #9,052 of 48,566
Quote:
Halo 4 doesn't really have the playlists that really capitalize on sound whoring... like the Hardcore game modes in COD. That being said, you can still use Headphones/DH to gain an advantage in MP, but it won't be as important imho.

That's a shame. I've been playing COD  for a while so I've been looking to switch to something else. Other options, borderlands?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #9,053 of 48,566
I'm probably thinking backwards here but whats one of the best new games to sound whore on the xbox?

Well...
First I must caution you that I've just watched two episodes of The Big Bang theory, so I may be typing with the voice of Sheldon Cooper in my mind.

Sound whoring implies that you are interested in competitive games created to provide advantage with myriad details and subtle nuances designed to give various positional cues. The most recent competitive game great for sound whoring is Halo 4. Sound whoring is most useful in SWAT gametype, where footstep tracking and anticipation to set up the headshot first is king.

Other recent FPS titles like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 have epic explosions and some nice effects, tactical details like footsteps and small cues giving clues to direction and distance are weak in the mix or generally lacking in ability to afford the gamer with tangible benefit. MW3 can be improved for sound whoring with the pro levels of the Ninja and Sitrep perks, though of course that is in lieu of other viable perks. MLE maintains that Call of Duty: Black Ops has better sound design; I am of the opinion that the BO CoD was actually tolerably designed. BF3 tactical cues are usually drowned out by sound effects; though panning effects while in a jet dogfight can make for spectacular surround, the situations that actually provides information to give the player advantage are rare and of course lack 3D height effects if played on a console.

Uh... Big brain theory ended, and honestly I can't think of other recent competitive games that benefit from sound whoring. I haven't played the most recent horror games, but those may be good games even in single player. Dead Island is something I mean to pick up. In my particular case, I haven't been able to buy many games lately, and my GameStop subscription ran out a little while ago. Maybe others can fill you in with some more ideas on sound whore recent games.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #9,054 of 48,566

IMO SWAT modes in Reach were very competitive. The map Longsword (ONI base) ruins the cat-and-mouse by making a lame top-floor camping ground, but most of the other maps have a nice ebb and flow. I look forward to SWAT in Halo 4 when I get Internet at home again, but I think even in regular competitive modes there is enough information to anticipate opponents, grenades, and weapon drops, since there aren't swarms of choppers and announcements of allied and enemy killstreak unlocks, like some of CoD's hardcore modes I believe.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #9,055 of 48,566
Thanks guys :) Evshrug you're right about the announcer in COD. I think ill be picking up Halo 4 then ^_^

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #9,056 of 48,566
I want to try BlackOps2, but... Gotta take care. Of the check engine light that came on today.

Mad, who was that guy who really preferred stereo over surround for positional cues? I wouldn't say an opinion is wrong, but... pick a few examples so you don't sound like... Well, just say you don't want surround and it doesn't work for you, lol. Not bad.

Thanks guys :) Evshrug you're right about the announcer in COD. I think ill be picking up Halo 4 then ^_^

343i really did a good job with the franchise, IMO. I mean, after 5 years of having favored CoD4 for competitive FPS personally, Halo 4 feels fresh and addresses a lot of the things that bugged me about CoD games, that got worse as the series went on. The sound quality is awesome, and directional cues are distinct, and the rest is up to taste... I love the taste, but then I love sci fi, run and gun gameplay, and all the other gravy like theater, Forge and community-made map highlights in the playlists, Co-op campaign, and the story feels distinctly Halo rather than generic action (Though it does reference past Halo games, Mass Effect, and Star War :O BF3 felt kinda generic). I they don't explain why the Covenant are enemies again (though it's easy to assume they're a sect of extra fanatic elites and "lesser" species), but they do a great job of developing Cortana and Chief as characters IMO. The live action mini-series is pretty cool, too.

I also want to try Dead Island, and Borderlands 2. Left 4 Dead had pretty good (but easy to hear) audio cues.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #9,058 of 48,566
I want to try BlackOps2, but... Gotta take care. Of the check engine light that came on today.
Mad, who was that guy who really preferred stereo over surround for positional cues? I wouldn't say an opinion is wrong, but... pick a few examples so you don't sound like... Well, just say you don't want surround and it doesn't work for you, lol. Not bad.

There's plenty of people who prefer stereo over virtual surround. If you go into virtual surround expecting pure audio fidelity, you're gonna be disappointed. You can't go into virtual surround with a headphone mentality. You have to go into it with an open mind, and expecting something that sounds very different from what you've been accustomed to in headphones.

But I have NEVER met a person who has tried virtual surround for a week who preferred to go back to plain stereo.

It takes time to adjust, but once you do, it's impossible to go back.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #9,059 of 48,566
At some point you should try to add Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, both would be great for gaming, only used HP100 for Battlefield 1942 (not good audio)

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #9,060 of 48,566
At some point you should try to add Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, both would be great for gaming, only used HP100 for Battlefield 1942 (not good audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back