Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #8,461 of 48,583
Quote:
Holy cow, they really DID stop selling the Mixamp alone here. The Mixamp sub section has been erased. What a ****** move, Astro.

That's wild.  Astro certainly realizes that they will move more of their sub-par headsets if they restrict purchases of the Mixamp to bundled sales.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many true audiophile level competitors in the price range.  2nd hand prices will definitely skyrocket.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #8,462 of 48,583
That's wild.  Astro certainly realizes that they will move more of their sub-par headsets if they restrict purchases of the Mixamp to bundled sales.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many true audiophile level competitors in the price range.  2nd hand prices will definitely skyrocket.

To be frank if I was Astro and I'm an idiot!! I'd do the same thing to sell more headsets with the mixamp bundled than seperate.

You me and the next joe here on hifi that knows better would never buy their sets bundled why??

Because we here for the most part know we could best their headsets by going after market and not buying a bundle headset that we dont think is up to par!! I bet it takes a long while before they break that bundled headset apart to sell the mix amps seperate..

Oh well so I wonder who's first on here to buy the bundled package to test that mixamp out??

I just want to peak inside to see what's new under the hood and of course to see if it better than everything that's available and that's out now!!

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #8,463 of 48,583
It's a sound business practice, but it sucks for knowledgeable consumers like us.

I has someone wanting to buy my 5.8. I would, if I could score the newest Mixamp. I don't need wireless.

Now the only true alternative is the AX720, but you get the hiss...

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #8,464 of 48,583
Quote:
To be frank if I was Astro and I'm an idiot!! I'd do the same thing to sell more headsets with the mixamp bundled than seperate.
You me and the next joe here on hifi that knows better would never buy their sets bundled why??
Because we here for the most part know we could best their headsets by going after market and not buying a bundle headset that we dont think is up to par!! I bet it takes a long while before they break that bundled headset apart to sell the mix amps seperate..
Oh well so I wonder who's first on here to buy the bundled package to test that mixamp out??
I just want to peak inside to see what's new under the hood and of course to see if it better than everything that's available and that's out now!!

I already purchased one a couple of weeks ago and probably about 20-30 pages back. I haven't used an old one to compare to yet. However since I purchased this to return it anyways, Rebel is very kindly sending me his old Mixamp, and I'll see how they stack up SQ wise.

Quote:
It's a sound business practice, but it sucks for knowledgeable consumers like us.
I has someone wanting to buy my 5.8. I would, if I could score the newest Mixamp. I don't need wireless.
Now the only true alternative is the AX720, but you get the hiss...

Or a receiver with Dolby Headphone... I know it is like comparing apples to oranges as far as portability is concerned, but if this is a stationary system anyways, either will suffice.

-Erik

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #8,465 of 48,583
Quote:
I blame it on my self diagnosed OCD. I wouldn't be able to sleep without satisfying my curiosity. It literally drives me bat**** crazy. Sigh...

That would be most of us, I spent a few horus last night comparing 16bit and 24btit flacs on my dt 880s, there was a differeance

In addition I dropped my cMoy from 10inches today and well it's sounding horrible after playing 10mins of music and that didn't start until a little while after I dropped it... I'm hoping it's just the batteries getting DEAD, as I know the Hifiman Sounds like Crap when it's about to die... I pray the cMoy is only needing a charge

in addition the Hifiman Hm 601 Line out and Headphone power mt Dt 880's almost as good as the cMoy :x ofc with the cMoy the mids sound a little better, the bass kicks a wee bit more, but not bad

I just hope my cMoy only needs a charge q.q

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8,466 of 48,583
I already purchased one a couple of weeks ago and probably about 20-30 pages back. I haven't used an old one to compare to yet. However since I purchased this to return it anyways, Rebel is very kindly sending me his old Mixamp, and I'll see how they stack up SQ wise.

Or a receiver with Dolby Headphone... I know it is like comparing apples to oranges as far as portability is concerned, but if this is a stationary system anyways, either will suffice.

-Erik

Great thats just stellar so what can you change on the new mix amp just eq parameters or is there alot more features and functions to manipulate the surround sound??

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #8,467 of 48,583
Okay,

I had decided on the E90k but i needed the connectors for it, as they did not use the connectors i have, during my research of sound cards i found one with the connectors, but it has a built-in headphone amp, which is supposedly using the same chip as an E9.

Would getting the E90k still be a better option for sound quality/improvement on the 250 OHMS or 600 OHMS?

if so, i gotta look for more sound cards with the available connectors.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #8,468 of 48,583
Quote:
I blame it on my self diagnosed OCD. I wouldn't be able to sleep without satisfying my curiosity. It literally drives me bat**** crazy. Sigh...

I know the feeling.

It's what drove me to buy an old Sound Blaster AWE32 (complete in box!) for my retrogaming computer build, because my AWE64 Gold doesn't have the ASP/CSP that TFX uses for QSound effects. But upon closer inspection, it may not have the genuine Yamaha OPL3 FM synthesis chip that most cards with its model number do...damn Creative and their constant revisioning of what are supposed to be same-model products!

It's also what drove me to buy the Recon3D USB in the first place (which nobody wants to buy from me now), and what drove me to buy Stax, and...argh, this is terrible for our wallets. But if we're willing to pay the price for knowledge that can't be had any other way...and in the case of audio equipment, there is no other way than to hear it with your own ears!

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #8,469 of 48,583
Quote:
I literally can't decide between the 600ohm and 250ohm. It's gonna be a last minute decision, and one I bet I'll probably wanna take back. The 250ohm actually started sounding better when I switches the E09K to low gain. Made the sound just a little more refined for it. Because it made it closer than before, I'm leaning on the 250ohm due to the better bass.
Again... I say one thig, then go back and change my mind, but logically, the 250ohm is the one I think I should get.
Holy cow, they really DID stop selling the Mixamp alone here. The Mixamp sub section has been erased. What a ****** move, Astro.

Keep the 600ohm and become my Beyer brother. *wink wink*

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #8,470 of 48,583
Guys, I emailed Astro and asked them when they would start selling the mixamp as a stand alone product on Amazon, and they replied that they would start selling it again on December 1st. I'm not sure if that date also applies to their website though, since I only inquired about Amazon.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #8,472 of 48,583
I figured I'd post here since I'm not entirely sure where else it would go. I'm in the market for closed-back headphones, and probably their second main use behind listening to music will be gaming. I'm leaning heavily toward the HD380 pros, but I wanted to ask if anyone here had opinions on using those for gaming? I also wonder how they would sound with a Dolby processor of some kind, if it is really necessary for good gaming, and what suggestions would be for those. I note that the mixamp is no longer being sold separately. Do you think it is the best option for headphone gaming, and would it be worth waiting for it to come out again, or is there a better option out there?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #8,473 of 48,583
My Fiio E09K came in today. I have my OG Astro Mixamp at max volume running to the aux-in of the E09K and it sounds fantastic (no clipping from the Mixamp). Low gain seems to be more than enough for my DT 770 80s. Again, I'm very green to the audiophile terms, but I can definitely tell an improvement in the clarity of the bass. With just the Mixamp, it kinda muddied-up the rest of the sound. It's very distinct now with the Fiio amplifier powering it. I guess I'm a bass head, because I still like to EQ my music to accentuate the lows and highs, even with these headphones.

The E09K is a very nice product. The finish is outstanding, and I like how it's just slightly bigger than the Astro Mixamp so that they stack nicely. I put velcro on the bottom of the Mixamp and the top of the Fiio amp so that they stay together. It looks awesome, :).

I would really like to upgrade to the 2013 Astro Mixamp if they do indeed start selling them separately. I only have the first run of the Astro A40s and Mixamp to compare to, but I went to Best Buy last night and saw the Astro display setup where you can demo the A40s and Mixamp. I'm not sure when it happened, but the build quality on the Astro A40s has definitely taken a hit. The plastic they use seems to be of a lesser quality than the headset I bought in 2009. This wouldn't normally concern me since I won't be using that headset, but I do wonder if the quality of the Mixamp has gone down as well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8,474 of 48,583
I'm very happy it's working out for you. So you're eq-ing even now? I'd say to check the Pro 900s as your next headphone, but they definitely don't like to be paired up with the E09K. They are low ohm and sound super harsh off the E9. But I guess for gaming, you'd only need the Mixamp. DAT BASS. Though the DT770 Pro excels in sub bass, and doesn't have a lot of mid bass. The Pro 900 is all midbass, and not a lot of sub bass.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #8,475 of 48,583
Hey Mad,
Been offline for a while. How goes your studies of the different Ohm versions of the Beyer DT990? I noticed you got the E9ok desktop amp... Liking that one? What was the difference between the headphone and mini-headphone port again, and is it still present on the new version? I still haven't received my new tube amp yet, but it should be coming soon, and everything I've read about the engaging sound and expansive soundstage sounds like a perfect match for gaming. I had briefly mentioned this before, but maybe you would be curious to test it in your setup since you had to sell the NFB-5 (sp). Once I get to play with it a good bit first :wink: I am curious if it scales differently between your three Ohm versions of the DT990, so I'd like to mail it to you before you have to return some of the headphones.

Nameless,
OMG your post is full of so many marketing names for features! I agree on blaming Creative for poor naming and over-marketing their products... to someone unversed in their phased-out outdated features, your first paragraph is borderline unreadable. And then in each new model, they think up new names for stuff! Who's gonna remember scout mode?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble finding a Recon3D buyer. Perhaps you'll have a better shot as it sinks into gamer's minds that the Mixamp is going to be unavailable new, for a good while. I pointed a few people to your head-fi username to PM you about buying it from you. Maybe Creative will invest in a firmware upgrade and make a marketing push to take advantage of Astro's absence? A funny thing I noticed: people seem to think that the Recon3D doesn't offer chat connectivity. Dunno how that got started, but I saw a few people in this thread post that misinformation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back